The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Gary,

Have you continued using Elixer HD Light strings on your Taylor 812ce or have you gone back to regular Elixer Lights or another brand of lights? I like the tone of the Elixer HD Lights on my 812ce 12-Fret and 814ce but I like the feel of less fretting-hand pressure for the regular Elixer light-guage strings.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary,

Have you continued using Elixer HD Light strings on your Taylor 812ce or have you gone back to regular Elixer Lights or another brand of lights? I like the tone of the Elixer HD Lights on my 812ce 12-Fret and 814ce but I like the feel of less fretting-hand pressure for the regular Elixer light-guage strings.

Regards,

SpruceTop
I hear you about the lower tension of lights. I use the Elixir HD set. Figured dint fix it if it ain't broke. But on a 12 fret 812, I would use light gauge strngs without reservation. That's quite a nice guitar collection in your signature! I would LOVE to get a 12 fret, grand concert size guitar next!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I hear you about the lower tension of lights. I use the Elixir HD set. Figured dint fix it if it ain't broke. But on a 12 fret 812, I would use light gauge strngs without reservation. That's quite a nice guitar collection in your signature! I would LOVE to get a 12 fret, grand concert size guitar next!
Gary,

Thanks for your reply and your compliments on my stable!

I haven't yet changed the strings on the 812ce 12-Fret and 814ce but will probably stick with the Elixer HD Lights for now. Like you say, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM

wow awesome tone and playing - thanks!

jeff
Old 01-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Gary,
Thanks- I upgraded my LB Artist to the Performer today. It is a definite upgrade and I am a big fan of the LB Artist. Thanks for prompting me - now I might have to upgrade to an ES2 guitar!
davidc
Old 01-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Gary,
Thanks- I upgraded my LB Artist to the Performer today. It is a definite upgrade and I am a big fan of the LB Artist. Thanks for prompting me - now I might have to upgrade to an ES2 guitar!
davidc
Awesome David! For my needs, the Fishman Loudbox Performer is a wonderful upgrade from the Loudbox Artist. I am not the saying the Loudbox Artist is bad. Its a great tool and works wonderfully in so many ways. The Fishman Loudbox Performer does everything I want just a bit better. and again, that built-in kickstand is tremendously handy. I use it at every gig!

If you want to sound richer and fuller, use the DI Mix Output on the back of the Fishman Loudbox to drive a powered PA speaker like a QSC K8, K10 or K12 ..or whatever you have. (I've used a QSC K10 a few times and that worked great!!) This lets you direct sound to an even wider area.

The Taylor ES2 Pickup? I've listened back to my own live gig recordings more than a few times In every case, the ES2 sounds authentically like an acoustic guitar, but louder. Not artificial at all. a Bose L1 Compact was provided as a backline amp once and that sounded great too! That is a testimony to the inherent natural tonal quality of the ES2 Pick up. Very impressed.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-26-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Awesome David! For my needs, the Fishman Loudbox Performer is a wonderful upgrade from the Loudbox Artist. I am not the saying the Loudbox Artist is bad. Its a great tool and works wonderfully in so many ways. The Fishman Loudbox Performer does everything I want just a bit better. and again, that built-in kickstand is tremendously handy. I use it at every gig!

If you want to sound richer and fuller, use the DI Mix Output on the back of the Fishman Loudbox to drive a powered PA speaker like a QSC K8, K10 or K12 ..or whatever you have. (I've used a QSC K10 a few times and that worked great!!) This lets you direct sound to an even wider area.

The Taylor ES2 Pickup? I've listened back to my own live gig recordings more than a few times In every case, the ES2 sounds authentically like an acoustic guitar, but louder. Not artificial at all. a Bose L1 Compact was provided as a backline amp once and that sounded great too! That is a testimony to the inherent natural tonal quality of the ES2 Pick up. Very impressed.
A second Loudbox Performer is another alternative. I was thinking about selling one and goofed around one night, running direct out from 1 to the second, and using different verbs on each one....YEOW. Be rare for me to haul 2, but I'm gonna say the experience would be most worthwhile.

Texasdave
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
A second Loudbox Performer is another alternative. I was thinking about selling one and goofed around one night, running direct out from 1 to the second, and using different verbs on each one....YEOW. Be rare for me to haul 2, but I'm gonna say the experience would be most worthwhile.

Texasdave
Good call! another AGF member posted a thread praising Fishman service and support. He uses a pair of Loudbox Performers and said it works great! Can't imagine why it wouldn't. But I also agree, I might not always carry a second Loudbox Performer with me. Since I already own QSC K10's and K12's, If I know I'm going to need wider dispersion and coverage, I bring one of those along.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Texasdave
Quote:
Good call! another AGF member posted a thread praising Fishman service and support. He uses a pair of Loudbox Performers and said it works great! Can't imagine why it wouldn't. But I also agree, I might not always carry a second Loudbox Performer with me. Since I already own QSC K10's and K12's, If I know I'm going to need wider dispersion and coverage, I bring one of those along.
Hey fellas as may know, I run the two Perfomers in tandem and it's glorious! Good thing I haul two particularly at this one large venue (Nippers Beach Grille) because I blew a subwoofer in one before!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Taylor and Fishman, together again! You gotta love it .

And yes, it does indeed sound sweet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification