The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-26-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Of interest to all of us...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Mar23.html
Old 03-27-2003, 08:20 PM

I certainly identify with much of that article; I have a recurring repetitive stress problem in my wrists (caused by the computer but aggravated by guitar playing). Changes in posture have really helped. I play in the classical position now, and the problem rarely recurs.

But "guitar nipples"? I can't imagine what would cause that, but I shudder to think.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:12 PM

Not mine but strangely enough, on topic,

Quote:
Guitar nipples are actually located on the guitar. They're an optional accessory, developed fairly recently, that allows you to milk a tune for all it's worth. I don't know that any Irish guitar players have actually had nipples installed on their guitars yet, but then again the guitar is still a fairly new instrument in Irish music, and its use is still a bit controversial. Adding nipples would only make it more so.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:28 PM

They also serve as a tool to introduce prospective players to the guitar at increasingly younger ages. One early-childhood instructor noted that infants tend to "latch-on" to guitars that have nipples installed. They also tend to get separation anxiety when their guitars are taken away from them. This behaviour pattern often persists late into adulthood.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:00 PM

Dreadnaught envy............hmmmm...............
Old 03-31-2003, 08:37 PM

If youv'e read any of my posts before you'd know my wife is a Occupational therapist with a cerification in hand therapy. At the hospital she see's new patients (musicians) everyday that complain of hand/arm pain. Alot of them won't get better easily and some not at all and their music career comes to a screeching halt..
She says;
If your getting pain after playing, in your forearm, wrist, shoulder or hand that persists day after day you got a problem. Get it looked at. If you ignore it you will be sorry. Trigger finger, CT, DeQuavey thumb(sp?) ,tendonitis are just a few of the problems.
To really scare you she has just seen a well know guitarist here in the bay area that has lost feeling in his thumb on his fretting hand!!!!!
Tips:
*Stretch first (see my old posts for stretches)
*Avoid long, hard sessions without sufficient rest between.
*Watch hand position. Try and keep both hands aligned as straight as possible with the forearms.
* Avoid excessive thumb pressure with the fretting hand when barring chords.
* And as always, avoid tension in your hand, arm, and shoulder and don't play through pain.
Baby
Yamaha G-65(classical)
+ assorted junky guitars
1928 Steinway Upright
Old 03-31-2003, 10:06 PM

I had a bout of both CTS and tendonitis several years ago, and I learned more from the physical therapists than the doctor. Luckily, I caught the problem early so no surgery was needed, but it was the PT who made me hip to changing the way I do things.

The biggest issue was the PC. I reconfigured my keyboard tray to angle away from me for a more neutral wrist position, and I learned how to use the mouse with my left hand to give my right hand a break. I also use the "outside" button as the primary one (left button for left hand, right button for right hand) so I can hold the mouse at an angle, which lets my fingers rest more. Finally, I taught myself to slow down a little and not pound on the keys, as I used to.

The main thing is to keep the wrists in a neutral position as much as possible, and to avoid putting strain on them when you can't. Push-ups are a killer; if you do them, use handles instead of pushing your palms flat into the floor.

The Big Thing: "No pain no gain" is a myth. As Gary said, don't play or do anything else through pain, or the numbness that comes from CTS and related ailments. Get some rest, and if the problem persists, see a doctor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell