The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-21-2002, 03:13 PM

Default book recommendations for acoustic leads and solos?

Can someone recommend a book or video for idea on acoustic leads and solos? I'm trying to find a role in a church praise band and I feel like if I just strum the chords I'm just taking up space because I'm not adding anything that someone else isn't already doing.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21 PM

Smile TRIADS! in, out, and all about....

nnvan...

over at homespuntapes.com Taylor Clinician Artie Traum has a video/Tab package called Guitar Accompaniment Playing Lead for a Singer/Guitarist or something to that effect...

you *may* find it helpful...I don't have it...perhaps someone else can comment...

triads triads triads....

other thoughts....

con't
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 10-21-2002, 04:25 PM

Smile

ugga bugga...I'll be back...

triads triads triads...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 10-21-2002, 05:28 PM

Smile

It's BobS!

quickly quickly....

time time time...

this is not a 'soloing' thing as such...I'll get back to it...

listen listen listen

Movement!

go to Guitar Player Magazines website

I *think* guitarplayer.com

find their lessons section

I think you click on 'Archives' and then down at the bottom of that page click on 'more archives here' or something...

find Dan Bowden's Triad Power Lesson...and listen listen listen...open up that fretboard with triads....

BBQ Chips!

con't....

gotta go...
Old 10-22-2002, 07:15 AM

here:

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/arch...s/bowden.shtml
Old 10-22-2002, 10:09 AM

That's a pretty cool article. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:26 PM

dont know if this will help,hope it does,but about 10 years ago I happened across a book by Al Dimeola called a guide to scales, modes and arpeggio's...dynamite study!!!, revolutionized my playing....practice scales in all 5 positions, 1/8 notes,and broken thirds...Then do the scales in thirds then in fifths..then do the modes same way....you'll be writing your own leads in no time...I started this practise from a very basic understanding of theory,
compounded by the fact that I"m a slow learner, and not the brightest light bulb in the marquee, if you get my drift....but with patience, and determination to "pay yer dues",it's well worth the time invested...hope this helps...

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 10-24-2002, 01:37 PM

cdt.. that's a neat article.. I printed that out and am trying it out.. I usually just invent as I go.. I play (usually) with a very trained piano player, and when she's following me, she often has to say, just a minute, what notes are you playing ?(because I just start inverting chords, dropping and addiing notes until it sounds like I want.. I don't usually know what the chord is)

She'll then say, "eddie, that isn't even close to a D7 like you have written down here on the sheet, that's a ---augmented whatever!"

I just say "Fine, call it what you want to!"
Old 04-01-2003, 10:31 AM

Question

nnvan...

are you getting anything out of that Country Roads thread....?

remember...that article in Guitar Player concerned a slightly more advanced use of triads....

all of Mapledumb for a triad...

let's say one guitarist is playing the basic open chords to Country Roads...and he/she's going to play an A chord followed by an F#minor chord....

here's an A major triad... xx 11 9 10 x

and heres an F#minor triad xx 11 11 10 x...

awfully close to one another, eh?

how could you build licks out of connecting those...

how could you fairly effortlessly memorize the fretboard in a useful way.....

no needles in haystacks....

master simple things and build...

possible approach...

can you make a lick that involves only one string of those shapes?

yes...a bunch...

two strings? how 'bout some reverb drenched bends with volume swells?

just play xxx 9 10 x over the A chord and then play

xxx 11 10 x over the F#min chord....

now go back and do what I just wrote out but this time when you are playing that two string lick over the F#min chord do it by bending the 3rd string 9th fret to the pitch of the 3rd string eleventh fret while still holding the 2nd string at the 10th fret...

learn to milk that fretboard...

we've only got twelve notes....

remember, if you can't say a lot with a little, you've probably don't have much to say...

build build build....

there's some old threads about triads kicking around here if you're having trouble finding the shapes....

triads connect the fretboard smoothly...
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 PM

Well Maple, I tried that 9th fret bending thing, and it drove my cat out of the room. Yeeeeesh. Takes practice, I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell