The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Fast Strumming

Hello again fellow musicians. I have a question today - well, more of a musing and request for comments - on fast strumming.

For reference, here's a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbdJXKqVgtg

The lead singer/guitar player has got some pretty fast stuff going on. I'm the acoustic guy in our little group (we also have an electric, drummer, percussionist, and keyboard player). I have a good "feel" for strumming and strumming patterns; except in rare cases, I strum by feel as opposed to trying to work out a specific pattern. Most of the time if you asked me what strumming pattern I'm using, I wouldn't be able to tell you without recording a video of myself and writing it down.

On this song, my "feel" strumming wants to hit the bass note on beats 1 and 3 and then do something frenzied in between. Doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as what the guy in the video (well, it's probably a studio recording, let's be honest) is doing. Short of running out and buying a D-28 and setting the action high (I play a Taylor 214ce), what are some things that I could do to recreate the feel of this song?

I've tried heavy picks - that either seems to get caught up in the strings or the pick flies out of my hand (because I have to use a loose grip to get the speed working). The best results I've had so far is using some textured .60mm picks. That's the equipment side of things - I do have one of Mick's Goat Whiskey thumbpicks, gonna try that today.

On the technique side, any tips there? I'm not a bluegrass player by any stretch of the imagination - I've Googled around for some tips (found this for example: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=263456) but they all seem to focus on boom-chuck, which isn't what I'm hearing in this recording.

Yes, I know adding a banjo (gasp!) to the band would have a huge impact on the sound, but don't think that's gonna happen right now.

Thanks,

John

Edit: an update. I've listened to the video again without watching the video part. Maybe that *is* a boom-chuck going on.... I hear it differently if I don't try to watch the guy's hand strumming... Edit again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8bFdTTNuN8 another much simpler recording

Last edited by jstegeman; 03-24-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

I think if your primary goal is to simply increase your ability to strum at higher tempo/speed, than using strumming patterns as a benchmark/tool to measure your progress would seem to me to be effective. Trying to do it by feel may not get you to your goal as fast.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:49 AM

He's making it look a lot more spastic than it has to be.

To cover the part, you've got a quick jang-a-jang followed by all down strokes... so jang-a-jang chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck repeated over and over with a little variation here and there.

If your wrist is not up for all those down strokes, you could make something like this work:

DUD rest U D U D or DUD hold U D U D

The trick is to land the second down strum of the jang-a-jang on the first beat of each measure.

As far as technique goes, keeping your wrist loose is always a good idea. In that first video the guy looks like he's trying to strangle his girlfriend with all the tension. It looks real punk though.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

Last edited by FwL; 03-24-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 AM

The key to this pattern is a quick down up before the 1. Other than that it's fairly straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
The key to this pattern is a quick down up before the 1. Other than that it's fairly straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This seem correct on much of the song on the intro he is simply down strumming on 1 and 3
For me to start working on speed focus on feel and relaxation is exponentially faster than trying to play a specific pattern. To my mind if you do not "feel it" the specific pattern is meaningless, and patterns will come . But everyone is different in the way they learn so try both ways

For some great fast strumming examples look to contemporary Irish/Celtic music

like this

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM

In this kind of beat-heavy stuff, you don't need to hit ANY bass notes singly. He isn't and in your combo you don't need to either. You have the least qualified instrument to do it with. Let the drums, keyboard & electric take care of it. Your only job is to add some jangly, RHYTHMIC strumming. The pattern can certainly be by feel; play along w/it until it sounds good.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
He's making it look a lot more spastic than it has to be...
That was my immediate reaction.

My opinion is always "don't try to figure out the pattern to make the feeling. Figure out the FEELING and it will make the pattern"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-24-2017, 03:50 PM

I will have to say that learning a pattern that doesn't come easy can do nothing but improve your right hand.
I had a heck of a time learning the pattern to Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons....at least trying to play it and sing at the same time.
Now it's one of our best tunes and it comes easy.

So not sure just playing whatever comes naturally is always the best option....a little work can be very rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM

The comments about homosexuality below the video are disgusting.

(Sent from a lost i-pad somewhere in the Congo)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzbucket View Post
The comments about homosexuality below the video are disgusting.

(Sent from a lost i-pad somewhere in the Congo)
I never pay attention to comments on YT, there's so many trolls out there.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Ive been able to get pretty close to this with a quick down up before beat 1 followed by 7 downstrokes on the 8th notes. Sounds good. This is one song where the capo is needed to get the right sound
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That was my immediate reaction.

My opinion is always "don't try to figure out the pattern to make the feeling. Figure out the FEELING and it will make the pattern"
I agree, I am a rhythm player and have "given up" trying to replicate any piece of music. I leave that up to the singers and just provide a pattern that they can follow. When you have other musos on stage with you, you are part of a greater whole, between them the whole song comes together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write