The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 AM

Default Bass strings that last

Now I'm new to the nylon string world, I've been doing some research on strings.

Basically, I can already see the copper on the strings above the first few frets of the D string. I'm surprised to see how quickly these strings are wearing. They are Hard Tension Augustine, so I'm sure they represent the overall state of bass strings.

My research for longer lasting strings has come up with:

Knobloch Sterling Silver - (€€€€€)
D'addario Dynacores
80/20 brass basses - I know that these are not so popular

Are there any other options? What are your experiences?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Hi! Basses on nylon strings don't last as much as steel ones, concerning how they wear as you said. Though you get some "marks and spots" on them after some playing, they will actually last a lot before breaking.

IMO they last enough and wiping them with a cloth after playing really helps. Really.

I use Daddario's Pro Arte, normal tension.

Something that I do and have seen others do as well, is to loosen the bass string and move it a little to either side so that when you get in tune, the worn part won't be touching the fret. That can buy you some more time with the same set of basses.

On the other side, the trebles will last much longer and you can change the bass set only, keeping the trebles for another cycle. Another great advantage of nylon strings, for me, is that they don't wear the frets as in steel guitars.

All in all, I prefer having the basses worn than the frets.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
All in all, I prefer having the basses worn than the frets.
Good point.

I have also noticed the "marks" moving up the string as I have to re-tune every day.

I will give the Pro Arte Dynacores a try next and see if there really is a difference.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

My Alhambra guitar came with D'Addario EXP strings, and the bass strings last a lot longer than any other strings I've ever used. But my case may not be normal around here, I don't play several hours a day, more a few hours every few weeks, as the fits and free time take me. "Normal" strings would deteriorate relatively quickly in the environment where I live, and I'd be replacing the strings every few months even without fairly regular use. But with the magical coating, I find that the EXP strings last a very long time indeed. So much so that I end up changing purely out of curiosity sometimes, instead of any change in the sound quality. But, as I say, my situation probably isn't typical. I don't think the coating helps too much with fret wear on the strings, especially with my ACDC/BBKing style vibrato, but they are still by far the most budget friendly option that I've found, given my irregular playing routines.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical