The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2015, 06:50 PM

Default Godin Q1T advise

I have recently purchased a Seagull with the Godin Q1T pickup and was hoping for a little help learning this system.

There are no center detents for the bass and treble knobs and I have not found much info on where a flat setting is. I don't think it's with both knobs wide open.

It would be great if anyone can give me some pointers on how the Q1T works or how they approach dialing in their tone.

I am in standard tuning and running this straight into a Loudbox Mini if this makes a difference.

any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 PM

Here is what I found from the Seagull website.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/electronics.html

Operating Suggestions
Before plugging in for the first time, adjust Quantum volume to minimum (fully counterclockwise) and set bass and treble at midrange. Plug into endpin jack and amplifier. Increase volume slowly to desired level. Adjust bass and treble to desired level.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanks 8TrackJoe.

There are not any markings or detents so even getting to the midway point is not easy or quickly repeatable. Time to bust out a paint pen or something.

What I have been doing is starting with the Loudbox knobs at midpoint, I'm not sure where flat really is for that amp though. Then running the volume backed of slightly from wide open and Bass about 3/4 or just under where it starts sounding boomy. Then I try to dial out any harshness by adjusting the treble. After that I play with the Loudbox EQ and finally bring in any reverb or chorus if I want it.

Does this sound like the best way to go about setting up a tone? I would love any input on how you guys go about getting your tone in a new room.

I'm fairly familiar with electrics and amps/pedals and gain structure but I am pretty new to the world of acoustics. I really don't know much about the Q1 or any pickup system for that matter. Just looking for a good place to start.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:42 PM

Do you have your Loudbox Mini manual? Here is what I found via the PDF version of the manual....12 noon position takes the bass and treble out of the loop. If you don't have it, here's a link to it.....http://www.fishman.com/files/loudbox...user_guide.pdf.

4. Low
Boost here to add weight to the sound. In general, boost bass at low volumes
and fl atten it out (or cut) at higher levels. With the dial set at 12 o’clock, the
control is effectively out of the circuit.

5. Mid
This control affects how well the instrument blends in or stands out in the mix. At
loud volumes a midrange cut will achieve a more natural sound. With the dial set
at 12 o’clock, the control is effectively out of the circuit.

6. High
Boost highs to add “air” to the sound of the instrument. With the knob set at
12 o’clock, the control is effectively out of the circuit.

If that is the case, then that I would start with the guitar and amp as flat as possible (12 noon). My preference is to start slowly with the amp and then move to the guitar for additional tone shaping.

There are players on this forum that are way more experienced than I am. So maybe some of them can chime in with some words of wisdom.

Last edited by 8TrackJoe; 01-20-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Some of my information was wrong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification