The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Right hand - thumb independence

Request for all you fingerstyle players out there: tell me what good resources you have for lessons/exercises to improve thumb independence on the right hand. I have read and watched Tommy Emmanuel advice. Still in search of more of the same from other good teachers/performers. Not looking for advanced technique as I have only been "one with my guitar" for about 2 years consistently. But I need basic aerobics to train those muscles to do something they have never done before. I realize it is like trying to fill the holes in the swiss cheese that is my brain but what the heck. I have nothing but a new guitar that I am very happy with, plenty of time to improve, and a mad creative passion that just might drive me to cut off an ear, or in this case, a thumb. And I might die in the process but by golly I'll die with calloused fingertips and a smile on my face! (hope I wasn't too vague about my obsession).
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

IMO nothing beats just playing tunes on the guitar. Find simple tunes in Travis, arpeggio, and chord melody styles.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM

When you get to the point where you can do anything with your fingers while maintaining an alternating bass, you are ready to start embellishing what your thumb does.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM

Hi Creative

I'm a very new player to the guitar (around 3 months real learning, around a full time job) and I'm learning to play 'The Last Steam Engine Train' from this video and the tab that you can get from signing up to Tony Polecastro's newsletter.

https://youtu.be/nEceEOc9oas

I only started learning it last night, and initially thought I might as well try and learn Russian, but within 30 minutes I was managing to get a bit of independence between the thumb and fingers, and I'm most definitely NOT a natural when it comes to co-ordination and timing etc.

So I'd agree that the best method is just to play! Maybe just focus on one small section, I've only learned about the first 10 seconds but I went from nothing to being able to play those 10 seconds at quite a good speed last night.

Slow and steady

I only started learning last night and originally
Old 02-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative1 View Post
Request for all you fingerstyle players out there: tell me what good resources you have for lessons/exercises to improve thumb independence on the right hand. I have read and watched Tommy Emmanuel advice. Still in search of more of the same from other good teachers/performers. Not looking for advanced technique as I have only been "one with my guitar" for about 2 years consistently. But I need basic aerobics to train those muscles to do something they have never done before. I realize it is like trying to fill the holes in the swiss cheese that is my brain but what the heck. I have nothing but a new guitar that I am very happy with, plenty of time to improve, and a mad creative passion that just might drive me to cut off an ear, or in this case, a thumb. And I might die in the process but by golly I'll die with calloused fingertips and a smile on my face! (hope I wasn't too vague about my obsession).
You might do better by forgetting about "thumb independence" (arguably a myth), and focus on patterns.
Take a typical right pattern (in basic alternating bass or Travis style), and break it down into single beats. You'll find each beat has only 3 options:
1. thumb only (on the beat);
2. thumb and finger together (both on the beat);
3. thumb on the beat, finger on the "and" (between the beats).
Any standard pattern (1 bar or 2 bars) will be formed of those three elements. It's then a matter of practising each one, joining beats in pairs (different permutations), and then joining them together in patterns.
The thumb will end up on the beat all the time, with the fingers in more random timings, but the thumb isn't really independent of the fingers - it's locked in a dance with them.
Like learning any series of dance moves, you do it in that linear fashion, step by step, eventually joining them all together. Do it real slow, to a metronome. (Setting the metronome at double the bpm might help to begin with, so it clicks all the 8ths.)

Once you're used to the patterns, then it will feel like the thumb is independent, because that steady beat pattern enters the subconscious more readily than the finger patterns. And once you reach that stage, then effectively the thumb IS independent, because you will be able improvise more with how the fingers move, while keeping the thumb steady.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Default thumb...

Thank you!!! Good ideas all. When you refer to alternating bass, my beginner brain thinks of that as part of "thumb independence". Maybe just a difference in verbiage? Or brains. But I do understand what you are saying and I need to get the basic alternating bass lines down first. I'm not fooling myself thinking a few exercises on my part will give Tommy Emmanuel more competition. I just like the idea of a broad range of solid doable skills. I like to watch other players. When I hear something I like I want to learn the skill that creates that sound and I want to incorporate that into my arsenal. You are all very helpful. Thanks again for your support.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:18 PM

I agree with Jon, it's a matter of just learning more and more patterns. Songs with melody lines tend to be good at helping me feel like my thumb is working on its own. But then you move onto the next song and it's like starting again! But at least it doesn't take anywhere near as long to master.

Over time I assume I will get to a point where I don't have to think about it and I'll be able to improvise and play a melody over an alternating bass line without having to work it out first. That day will be awesome!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Mark Hanson's books.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966
Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc5207 View Post
Mark Hanson's books.
Yes, it's all there. Start with Contemporary Travis Picking.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Not sure why but I don't feel like my thumb is independent but rather just another finger playing notes when it's suppose too. From reading others post I'm guessing it will come with time. For example I can play a slow version of freight train by memorizing the tab and patterns but not by playing an alternating baseline over the chords and memorizing the melody line separately. I'm having trouble putting it into words but what I'm saying is that I'm playing the song as a whole and not a bass line plus the melody. Although again some have said that may come later. Regardless I'm having a blast doing it. Good luck
Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
Not sure why but I don't feel like my thumb is independent but rather just another finger playing notes when it's suppose too. From reading others post I'm guessing it will come with time. For example I can play a slow version of freight train by memorizing the tab and patterns but not by playing an alternating baseline over the chords and memorizing the melody line separately. I'm having trouble putting it into words but what I'm saying is that I'm playing the song as a whole and not a bass line plus the melody. Although again some have said that may come later. Regardless I'm having a blast doing it. Good luck
Good description. That's how it mostly feels for me too. Though I do sometimes get bursts where my thumb goes on autopilot, but then I think "woah, look at that!" and I lose it! So I suspect eventually it will be doable.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 PM

There's a new video dvd on Homespun by Happy Traum named ,"Conquer the Challenge of the Steady Thumb"

Sounds like just what you are looking for!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

There are a number of great resources out there, probably so many that it is mind-numbing to try and figure out where to start!

I would suggest Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar by Pete Huttlinger. Sample clip from Homespun:

And you should watch this interview with Thom Bresh were he talks about Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and others and demonstrates the original Travis picking by Merle evolving into alternating bass with Chet.

Enjoy the journey!

CK
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the process of learning "thumb independence" myself. I know most of the cowboy chords in first position, but I've found it easier to learn thumb independence by holding just one simple chord (e.g. G) and play exercises with various thumb/finger combinations. Switching chords while also trying get down thumb independence just made it more complicated at first. Of course you won't be playing songs right away this way, but it seems to have helped to break it down into small steps. Once you've practiced just holding one fixed chord, try playing the notes of a scale over that one chord by moving just a few fingers on the fretting hand to play the scale notes. And at first, play the notes of the scale "on the beat" so that you are pinching an alternating bass note and each successive scale note at the same time. Playing a bass note and a scale note at the same time seems to reinforce the beat which is what the alternating bass is meant to keep. Looking ahead in the lesson book, syncopation comes next...
Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Slow it down. A lot. As slow as you have to go so you have time to think about and play each note in order. Get the timing right before speeding up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write