The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM

The SFX amp has arrived !! I spent about a half hour with it already. I tried out my D-35, the D-18 and the Taylor 12 string....I wasn't prepared for what I heard with the Taylor 12 string with a GoldLine pickup....pure bliss !! The most powerful 12 string I've ever heard...it totally rocks !!!!

The D-35 with the Lyric pickup sounded great after I cut the bass down to 9:00...

The D-18 with the M1A pickup sounded great.

There's as much reverb there that anybody could ever want...the delay is super sweet....

The eq seems to be good enough to be able to dial in a good sound with all three of my various pickups...

The amp does indeed fill the room with sound while playing and dead quiet when not.

It's a very powerful sounding amp. Sounds better in person than in the demo video's I watched. No I won't be sending it back..... I'm keeping it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM

I just tried plugging in my effects pedal board and mic....the mic sounds great on vocals but feedbacks on guitar...I may be sitting too close to the amp...the D-35 sounds best thru the Lyric pickup instead of the mic, but I do have to turn down the bass knob.

the chorus effect is adjustable and yes I can get a nice sound out of it.

the pedalboard works out very nicely..no problems to report. The Session DI sounds really nice. My Boss Super Chorus pedal also sounds very nice...

I have to give it a rest for a while, my ears are ringing !!

I tried standing away from the amp to see what it sounded like from a distance...the room is totally filled with sound...

I tried playing a loop recording I made with the Ditto X2 and just listened to the amp without my guitar playing...it sounded really nice, then I tried playing and singing along with the loop, and I was in Heaven...it sounded great...

This amp delivers a great sound....I'm very happy with it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Thank you for posting your impressions.

Last edited by Highway_61; 10-30-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
This amp delivers a great sound....I'm very happy with it.
This is one of the amps I was interested in; however, in looking at the product literature, it appears that this amp only has 18.2k instrument input impedance, which seems very low. My guitars that have pick-ups have passive electronics in them (K&K Pure Minis), and I was hoping to plug in direct; however, if 18.2k is correct, that won't work for me. However, I am admittedly not very "techie", so it could be I'm interpreting this incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Well I tried all three of my guitars with different pickups....the Lyric, The Gold Line and the M1A...all of which use batteries and have mini pre-amps built in....they all sound great...I haven't a clue about how the K&K would work. You may need to have a small pre-amp inline to use it, I don't know...maybe refer this question to Doug Young, he's the expert on these matters.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM

I just tried playing a clean dry sound, meaning no effects whatsoever, just eq'ed for the Lyric.......sounded perfect !!!

I tried cranking up the volume all the way and got lots of feedback... I then cranked it back to 11:00 and got the best sound out of it, plenty loud enough to scare the neighbors....

this amp would work fine in coffee shops, nursing homes, small bars...sounds great in my living room. it will definitely impress my friends when they come over.

yes this amp definitely blows the Marshall AS50R away. It's a major improvement on many different levels.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 01:34 PM

I tried making a recording using the XLR output on the SFX amp...sounded weak because I had the eq settings set for the speaker sound. I'm thinking micing the amp will sound better....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:10 PM

Here's a pic of my living room/studio...

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 02:11 PM

delete...double post
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 PM

I just tried out the headphone jack with a $5.00 dollar set of headphones I got at the YMCA....The SFX sounds fantastic thru them...perfect for late night practice sessions !!

My new XLR cable came in the mail today...this enables me to connect my pedal board to the SFX amp using the balanced output of the Session DI directly into the SFX....perfect !!

Update...I just tried out my AT-M50 headphones on the SFX...wow....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-30-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 PM

I was hoping the amp would sound as good as the demo's I watched. Did ya ever listen to a cd of your favorite band and then go see them in concert...and they sounded so much better live ?? The same thing holds true with this amp. The demo's sounded very good, but live...this amp blows the demo's away...

I've been playing my guitars thru it all afternoon, and I'm amazed at it's sound. I thought maybe my Lyric would become the weak link in my chain, but nope, it sounds great. The M1A in the D-18 sounds great. The Gold Line pickup in the Taylor 12 string sounds awesome...just very minor tweaking is needed between pick ups...I'm getting a nice full rich sound out of all my guitars. Even dry with no effects, the guitars all sound awesome. But with the effects, it's the icing on the cake...this amp is just what I needed. Fender knocked it out of the park with this one.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Yes I did and was also impressed with the sound. The zZounds video is what got me going because of the multiple guitars. If the amp sounds anything like these two video's. I'll be very happy with it. I also saw a couple more short video's in my travels on You Tube.

I also saw a few video's of the Fender Acousticsonic 150 amp...I didn't like that one at all. In fact that was one of the reason I decided to step up to the SFX amp...you get what you pay for.

I also looked at the video of the Fender Hot Rod amp. That's a nice amp for an electric guitar sound, but that's not what I wanted...I wanted a clean sounding acoustic guitar amp of good quality.

I looked at many different amplifiers but didn't find video demo's of them available. My experience with amps is that many advertise having an onboard reverb, but they usually are terrible sounding. The SFX's reverb sounds really sweet.
Fender's been providing pretty amazing reverb for a very long time. Many of the onboard effects I've tried on acoustic amps have been less than stellar sounding. Many use pedals, and turn the on-boards off. The effets on one of those videos sounded better than any acoustic amp I"ve heard. And I don't put a lot of stock into the quality of laptop speaker youtube videos. Hope the amp works out well for you.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 PM

You inspired me, I found a good deal and ordered one today, it will be here on Wed. Even though I own a couple of acoustic guitars, my plan is too use this amp far more with my Uke
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 PM

Are you going to use a pickup in your uke or mic it ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-30-2015, 09:07 PM

I've been following this thread thank you for all of the information. I am the one (in another thread) that tried this at a music shop and didn't care for it. Based on what you have written I am going back, something must have been wrong, I want to like and even buy this amp....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification