The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Perhaps. But, I don't have any additional resistors. Though, there is a manual for second source which details the resistors. It can't hurt. It looks like you're narrowing down your problem. You said you had the same issue (problems with EQ pedals) with a previous preamp using the same K&K installation. But, you say it sounds great into the Bose. Is it possible your pedals are either defective or not designed for a preamped signal. Maybe the D-TAR is pefectly functional?

Perhaps another EQ option, or a body res pedal could be used between the guitar and amp. I'm a huge fan of TC Helicon body res pedal or the play acoustic. It is a one knob parametric EQ, comoressor, and fairy dust. The play acoustic gives you full control of every parameter. You might not need any of the other stuff. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-19-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad9876 View Post
Only the k&k minis are too hot. The mic seems just right.

Which makes me think that if there were a way to reduce the input between the k&ks and the preamp, it should solve the problem. I currently have a 1mohm resistor in this exact location. Do you think I just need a larger resistor?

Where is the resistor? Across the terminals? You don't really need that, and you might even try removing it and see if that helps. If you want to cut the volume, a resistor divider could work. Like this:

That's basically what a volume control is, except the volume control is variable. When I used this setup, the signal was hot, but didn't cause any issues. It sounded very good, in fact. A lot of what people like about having a preamp is that it creates a hotter signal, so this gives it to you. You do have to worry about gain staging and not overdriving whatever else is in the signal path, tho.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Where is the resistor? Across the terminals? You don't really need that, and you might even try removing it and see if that helps. If you want to cut the volume, a resistor divider could work. Like this:

That's basically what a volume control is, except the volume control is variable. When I used this setup, the signal was hot, but didn't cause any issues. It sounded very good, in fact. A lot of what people like about having a preamp is that it creates a hotter signal, so this gives it to you. You do have to worry about gain staging and not overdriving whatever else is in the signal path, tho.
I think Doug is right. I would remove the resistor and set the master volume where the pedals don't get overdriven. I also agree with Doug that this setup sounds great. It equals/rivals the best systems I have used, including ES2 and Aura Plus. I'm a fan of the multisource solution.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:35 AM

The resistor is in line with the signal wire between the k&k minis and the onboard preamp. I have tested it with & without the resistor and there is no difference.

The clipping occurs regardless of the master volume setting. Even if the guitar is barely audible through the speakers, the clipping is there if it is going though any of my pedals. Direct into powered speaker, no clipping.

I have tested the pedals with other guitars and they work fine.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM

The more I read about resistors and the impact they can have on tone, I think the best solution is to figure out how to wire in the k&k minis so that they do not go through the DTAR preamp.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 PM

I found a solution. If I go through an ART Zdirect DI ($25) before going into any pedals, it works fine. Not really sure why, but it works!

I appreciate everyone's help and input!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Would this work? K&k pure mini + DTAR mic/preamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad9876 View Post
I found a solution. If I go through an ART Zdirect DI ($25) before going into any pedals, it works fine. Not really sure why, but it works!

Great on many levels. Since it worked through the Bose direct and not the pedals, I kept thinking that it must be something in the signal chain. I don't have any pedals, just the Play Acoustic. And it serves as a DI. And, straight into my Line 6 was crystal clear. Glad to hear we have another happy (D-TAR + K&K) customer. I wonder if you have a phase or ground issue with your pedal board that the DI isolates. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-23-2016 at 09:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification