The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazman View Post
Hey gang, I have a Martin HD-28 and I would like to get a picup for it, I wouldn't mind a sound hole picup, but i don't want to damage the opening if removing it. What are your opinion on the best sounding and quality picups out there? Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Can you provide more information on where you play and what your style is? It's almost impossible to recommend a system without knowing what you want out of a pickup.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazman View Post
Hey gang, I have a Martin HD-28 and I would like to get a picup for it, I wouldn't mind a sound hole picup, but i don't want to damage the opening if removing it. What are your opinion on the best sounding and quality picups out there? Thanks!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I have a Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono Acoustic Guitar System in my Martin HD-28 and it sounds really good. It's not a soundhole pickup but it's non-invasive and installation can be reversed with NO damage to the system or your guitar.

http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-16-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 AM

Way to go Steve! Save that for future reference.

I have removed one or more Fishman, DTAR multisource, KandK dual source, Baggs Dual Source, Baggs Anthems, Baggs Lyrics, and I have forgotten a few. Anyway, they were all good pickups and I replaced them with Dazzos. A Dazzo is similar to the Trance but without any onboard gear or battery so you can get your own preamp/DI/EQ box and that will do the job. I run a Dazzo into a Fire Eye Red Eye Preamp and out comes clean beautiful tone that doesn't distort and is very much like a microphone on steroids. I turn up the treble knob when I want to cut through the band. The Dazzo's method of installation is by epoxy on the bridge plate. According to the builder, It sounds better than being taped on. K and K and Trance are one size fits all. The Dazzo comes in different bass responses to better balance and match your guitar. The idea is to call the owner and he will recommend the size for your guitar. Mine are 70's and 80's which are his most popular sizes. Anyway, good luck. There are a lot of good choices.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-16-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Hah! Let's keep the chain going. Who's replaced a Lyric?
I should probably let our good friend Wade Hampton Miller speak for himself, but since I embarked on this quest myself just two weeks ago and Wade gave me some very helpful advice, I thought I might share that he did.

I, too, arrived at the Lyric as the best solution for me. One thing I've learned so far is that there are too many variables to be able to say "such and such system is the best, period." Too much depends on personal preference, the particular guitar involved and the environment in which the system is going to be working.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Lyric, but I took Wade's advice to get the K&K Pure Mini instead (it used to be called "Western," but now it's just "Pure Mini"). He said he used the Lyric in some of his instruments, but ended up replacing them for better-sounding and less feedback-prone solutions.

I'll stop here, because I really should not speak for him, and I hope he forgives me for relating the advice I received from him.

I will report back (if I remember to do so) once I have the K&K Pure Mini installed. By the way, I'm going to use it in a bluegrass setting and plan to combine it with an external Shure 57 Beta mic mounted on a stand to amplify the guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 08-16-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 PM

Impossible question to answer mate.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Hmmmm... I wonder if you could talk Taylor into putting their ESv2 in a Martin??
Old 08-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Barbera Soloist..hands down! (you can save your original saddle to re-install at any time). I'm shocked that more people on this forum are not aware of the Barbera. It's a tad pricy but so worth it for a performing artist. Second non- invasive choice for me would be the McIntyre feather.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 PM

I lover the K& K pure mini with the updated K & K Ultra pure system fitted just inside the rim of the soundhole..

Coupled with the Red eye preamp.
Dave
Old 08-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

OP, did you end up choosing a pickup? We'd love to know what you decided to go with
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Barbera Soloist..hands down! (you can save your original saddle to re-install at any time). I'm shocked that more people on this forum are not aware of the Barbera. It's a tad pricy but so worth it for a performing artist. Second non- invasive choice for me would be the McIntyre feather.
Huh. Never heard of it until now. Your post prompted me to look it up. It sounds really nice in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phd1PL3q51E

but not so nice in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Tr0xo2uh4

I wonder if it's great for nylon string, but not so great for steel string?

I've had a K&K Pure Mini in my dreadnaught for a little bit, and that sounds way more natural (through my Fender Acoustasonic amp, at least). Very, very close to the sound I'd expect from a microphone.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
I lover the K& K pure mini with the updated K & K Ultra pure system fitted just inside the rim of the soundhole..

Coupled with the Red eye preamp.
Dave
Ordered a Red-Eye today. Can't wait!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification