The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Is it my imagination?

Or do we expect WAYYY more from our guitars now than in the past?
I've played for over 35 years and its only really been in the last 15 or so that I've noticed as much attention to nuance and soooo many instrumental performers.
It seems even the music has become more sophisticated to the point of virtual impossibility.
Now, I'm not complaining...don't get me wrong. I include myself and my instruments. Perhaps its just that I have become more aware of things but, I dunno....35 years of playing...I'm thinking its more than just me???
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
Hi DT...
Sure, and it is possible to find great guitars today.

I also expect WAYYY more of myself as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM

It's the Information Age.... we all have so much more access to a vast amount of information about *everything* that its just now we know to ask these questions and look for these things. I think its not just you... the nuances etc were always there, just more emphasis now on marketing based on what people have been made aware of

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM

Certainly, the music has changed, but so have I. I do alot more with the guitar now than I was doing in the late 60's. And even if one feels he/she has not changed, they should simply enjoy their guitar for what it is: an item that can alter their life.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayavner View Post
It's the Information Age.... we all have so much more access to a vast amount of information about *everything* that its just now we know to ask these questions and look for these things. I think its not just you... the nuances etc were always there, just more emphasis now on marketing based on what people have been made aware of
Yes, and as a result, personalities like us have just become more anal.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloresque View Post
Amen, brutha....

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 AM

It's a whole new world! Went to a garage sale and was interested in a particular item when the 80 year old woman told me, "They are getting $50 for these on eBay". Information age for sure!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
I've played for over 35 years and its only really been in the last 15 or so that I've noticed as much attention to nuance and soooo many instrumental performers.
It seems even the music has become more sophisticated to the point of virtual impossibility.
Now, I'm not complaining...don't get me wrong. I include myself and my instruments. Perhaps its just that I have become more aware of things but, I dunno....35 years of playing...I'm thinking its more than just me???
I agree, everything has changed. Although I don't have 35 years under my belt, I have been playing a mere 24. It's truly amazing what many guitars and guitarists are capable of. There are high school kids who are playing stuff that if a kid had played that well 20 years ago, he would have been considered a virtuoso. I think of it like sports, every year it seems there's someone who's better than anyone the year before.

I think the guitar builders of today are doing an amazing job as well.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM

I don't mind the attention is being given to detail today, as long the music will not suffer because of it.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwarrior View Post
I think of it like sports, every year it seems there's someone who's better than anyone the year before.
Yeah, but in sports it's probably because of the drugs they're on. Wait a minute, maybe that's what's going on with high school kids playing guitar these days!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM

I know I sure never thought there'd be "luthiers" by the boatloads or action like we expect now.
I dug out an old set up manual , one of Sukawa's , I think. He had the Low E set at 9/64" for acoustic strumming and 7/64 for all else. WOW...
Martin used to se their action high for bluegrass..8/64, I think. Now even THEY use 6/64 as "standard".
And "tapping" 25 years ago?? Who'd a thunk if outside the classical realm.
Maybe I was sheltered?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Truly the quality of even the least expensive guitars is at such a level that no one should have a problem finding a guitar that plays and sounds excellent. It used to be that there were "real" guitars and "beginner" instruments. Today, if you take the time, you can find a guitar that plays beautifully for well under $500.00. Does a guitar that costs ten times that sound that much better? It depends on your ears. Is it worth more? Probably, because, the materials are of higher quality and will last a lifetime with proper care. "Cheap" guitars may be a good place to begin, provided they meet certain standards, but they may not retain these qualities over time. I have a "less expensive" guitar that plays beautifully, and is visually appealing, but once I pull out one of my Taylors it pales by comparison. But that is a judgement from my ears. And I have been fortunate enough to have been able to afford "expensive" guitars. I think beautiful music can be made (and is every day) on guitars that don't drain the bank account. My main concern is playability, tonal appeal, and structural integrity. I don't care where it comes from, or who makes it. Do some research and you will find what works and, if the muse calls, it will lead to whatever instrument is required.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488
Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM

I totally agree! I'll admit, I'm as guilty as the next person here. I've been playing for about 35 years myself and I don't recall analyzing all of the nuances that are thrown around here. Basically for a good acoustic, you'd get a Gibson or a Martin (D18, D28, or D35). For electrics, a Les Paul, Tele or Strat.....end of story.

Very interesting observation and duly noted
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Lets throw this in the mix, too...when I was just starting to play out there were , I guess, two or three pickups available for acoustics. They were , at best, OK. NOW there are literally hundreds of makes and models that do work we never imagined possible.
BAck then, most acoustic guitar was recorded via microphones. Now its super duty multiple mikes AND high tech pickups with a vast array of effects to tailor your sound which brings up another question...
How much more are we listening to "enhanced" sound now as opposed to "naked" sound before?
Even "unplugged" ain't unplugged.
One of the reasons I'm thinking about this is that I , in trying to be more responsible about recording my muscic , have realized that I am making demands on my instruments (unplugged) that I would never have worried about some years back because I played "unplugged" almost all the time or with electric instruments.
Just thinkin'......
Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloresque View Post
Oh man is that the truth!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion