The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Thumbs up New Phase in Learning Process

I'm stoked. I just finished up the first 361 thumb picking exercises I've been working on since May and it's on to real tunes in the Guitar Nick program. I know that many people want to learn songs as soon as possible, but this type of approach suits my personality. Eight months of alternating thumb drills with a metronome has done wonders for my right hand dexterity (essentially automatic now) and timing and I've learned some interesting chord patterns. I know it seems like a long time, but it took me a couple of hours (or more) per drill building the 4 bar patterns up from SLOW to 150 + BPM. I almost gave it up several times, particularly when 5 finger chords were introduced and I just couldn't get the low E string with the thumb to sound without buzzing. Now I use that technique as often as possible.

I figure another year and a half in the course (40 songs plus another 100+ exercises) and I'll be ready to play outside my study. And if that sounds a bit excessive, bear in mind that I had to quit taking private lessons because I froze up in front of my instructor. That was not his fault; I am such a perfectionist that I wanted to nail everything and became unhinged upon making mistakes. I feel a lot more relaxed and confident now.

I may never be good, but God willing someday I'll be competent (or I'll be dead of old age).
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Well, that is impressive. You seem to have quite a commitment along with excellent self-knowledge. I'm happy for you that you're making the progress you'd hoped for.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write