The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking for a learning agenda

I am self taught or untaught as the case may be with, looking to settle on a more structured learning program. I aspire to be an accomplished fingerstyle/folk style guitar player. I play solo for my own pleasure. I am looking for advise on either a good book based course or a dvd course to follow. My internet and old Mac are slow enough that I am not interested in online courses. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

can you narrow it down a bit more? Are you wanting to play like Kottke, like Don Ross, like Preston Reed, like Martin Simpson, like Big Bill Broonzy...? Name a few people/songs, and you'll get better suggestions.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 AM

i've been learning fingerstyle blues and been following stefan grossman's learning process: http://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process

I started with Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques vols 1 and 2 and now i'm on Fingepicking Country Blues. I don't know if fingerstyle blues is really your cup of tea, but i definitely feel i'm making progress. It's not really lessons so much as just learning songs, but each song you learn builds on the techniques learned in the previous ones, and by the time you're finished, you'll have a solid foundation in alternate-bass fingerpicking and have a pretty good repertoire of country blues. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I am self taught or untaught as the case may be with, looking to settle on a more structured learning program. I aspire to be an accomplished fingerstyle/folk style guitar player. I play solo for my own pleasure. I am looking for advise on either a good book based course or a dvd course to follow. My internet and old Mac are slow enough that I am not interested in online courses. Any ideas?
Hi off key...

A good DVD to help you organize your fingerstyle skills is Pete Huttlinger's Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar.

A good sample of what can be is John Carlini's Chord Solo Guitar Vol 1 & Vol 2.

They are less instructional and more conversational. They do teach, but they assume you know quite a bit already.

For fun, Al Petteway's DVD Celtic Blues and Beyond explores great use of DADGAD without it having to sound Irish. There are 2 Irish sounding pieces, a blues and a folky sounding piece taught on the DVD. Three camera angles selectable by the user.

Laurence Juber has a number of DVDs for instruction. Good stuff.

Tommy Emmanuel has a DVD titled Emmanuel Labor. It is instructional, and like Carlini's DVD, it's not for beginners. It's him playing a song and demonstrating how he plays it, and then breaking it down. Passage by passage...

I figure the DVDs each cost the price of a single lesson, and they all bring far more benefit than a single lesson.

Hope these help...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM

You might try Gibson's Learn and Master finger style guitar

http://community.learnandmaster.com/...rstyle-guitar/

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

You might want to check out Guitar Principles:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/'

The main book/DVD "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" (best to get 'em both - available in the "store" section, obviously I guess) and, really, Jamie's whole approach, emphasizes physical technique i.e. "how" to play as opposed to "what" to play.

I'm just getting back into playing after a long layoff (long story) and I'm making the Principles my total focus right now. I'm a total believer in what Jamie preaches.

'05 Santa Cruz OM/PW
'08 CA GXi (Tobacco Burst)
'90 Gibson ES335 (Alpine White)
'07 Taylor T5 Standard
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
It would help a lot if you could tell us more about your skill level.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
You might want to check out Guitar Principles:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/'

The main book/DVD "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" (best to get 'em both - available in the "store" section, obviously I guess) and, really, Jamie's whole approach, emphasizes physical technique i.e. "how" to play as opposed to "what" to play.

I'm just getting back into playing after a long layoff (long story) and I'm making the Principles my total focus right now. I'm a total believer in what Jamie preaches.
I agree, Jamie's approach would give anybody a good foundation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write