The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Default LJ's Youtube Channel: Fantastic

Our own LJ Guitar has his own youtube channel, not sure if you folks have visited it, I found it quite by accident surfing for some guitar tutorials.

Have a look at just one of his fantastic videos, this one is a great insite into Cant Take That Away From Me...the amount you learn just watching this is impressive.

Great channel LJ, thanks for these fantastic lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZ_4...0U80qY16eMqO6A
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Our own LJ Guitar has his own youtube channel, not sure if you folks have visited it, I found it quite by accident surfing for some guitar tutorials.

Have a look at just one of his fantastic videos, this one is a great insite into Cant Take That Away From Me...the amount you learn just watching this is impressive.

Great channel LJ, thanks for these fantastic lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haZ_4...0U80qY16eMqO6A
Hi Davis...
This particular lessons were by a friend of mine named Gary Atkins. He is the nephew of Chet Atkins, and a several decade student of Johnny Smith.

Gary passed away Christmas Day 2012 after spending the day with family, and after an intense battle with cancer.

He will be missed, and I felt fortunate to have him on video (he didn't like to be filmed or recorded). He was a talented and humble fellow.

Gary always tuned the 6th string down to D (as taught by Johnny Smith).
His guitar was a gift from Johnny Smith of one of the prototypes built for Johnny by Gibson guitars. It is an interesting instrument.

Thanks for posting the link...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

That is terrible news LJ. Its serendipitous that I would post a link to his session with you, I am happy I did now. He was truly a guitar master and it was great to be there with him, via video and hear his insights into music, see how he approached the arrangement and told some great stories. I particularly liked the discussion of older guitarists, WW1 era and how we often dont realize the level of skill they possessed. We so often think that we have found something new, only to realize that it is just the old, rehatched.

All the more poignent with his passing on Christmas this year. Truly a giant among musicians and knowing that fact, I feel a mixture of gratitude for you capturing him on video, and bittersweet sadness for your loss.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM

great player, too bad to hear that he's no longer with us. liked this video a lot.

that guitar actually appears to be a Heritage, who made a signature model for Johnny...amazing guitars...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Very sorry for the loss of your friend. Sympathies extended to all his family and friends. (I have a coworker who similarly lost his father-in-law on the same day).

OT: Just an observation, but in the video Gary writes with his left hand but plays guitar right-handed? I've seen left-handed guitars, but is it common for left-handers to learn to play right handed guitars?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygeek View Post
...Just an observation, but in the video Gary writes with his left hand but plays guitar right-handed? I've seen left-handed guitars, but is it common for left-handers to learn to play right handed guitars?
Hi cheekygeek...

There are far more left handed folk who play guitar conventionally than left handed folk who play non-conveintional (left oriented) guitars.

I play many instruments, including brass, and keyboards. The subject of left handed instruments really doesn't get much traction there. Were it not for Paul McCartney or Jimmy Hendrix there would be less attention given it.

Since I started music lessons at age 8, and took them till age 21, and was never asked if I'm left or right hand dominant...

I personally don't consider guitars left or right handed, because they require both hands to play correctly. At the beginning stages, the left hand requires more dexterity than the right, so it's very natural to start conventionally.

Gary was amazingly dextrous...wish I could yield my plectrum like he did.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygeek View Post
Very sorry for the loss of your friend. Sympathies extended to all his family and friends. (I have a coworker who similarly lost his father-in-law on the same day).

OT: Just an observation, but in the video Gary writes with his left hand but plays guitar right-handed? I've seen left-handed guitars, but is it common for left-handers to learn to play right handed guitars?
I'm left handed but play conventionally. I tried to reverse it when I was a kid but it didn't take.
My right hand isn't coordinated as my left, so my picking suffers a bit, but gets better after a while.

The gentleman was so interesting to listen to. Very sorry that we won't be able to hear more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write