The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Musical minimalist

Default a kid in a Mcknight candy store......

I attended the charter, '08 Mcjam and had a blast.......I made some good friends, including our gracious hosts and their family. I've said often since then that I wish Morrall wasn't so far away (and so isolated!) ...it's a little slice of heaven where some of my favorite people live!!

While there I had a chance to play quite a few of Tim's creations.....but one stood out to me, even though I only played it for ten minutes tops, the memory has lasted a long time. The guitar has continued to be a shop demo for Tim and Mary, and I've often thought about trying to get it here.

Last week, Tim and Mary emailed and said they were going to be "in the neighborhood" and wondered if I was going to be around. You bet I'd find time for two of my favorite folks!!!

Long story short, the Argentine Osage Orange/'59 Sitka Highlander OM is now a resident of Todd's guitar closet

I don't think I've ever played so much as I have in the last 4 days.....my computer was down with a virus, but I don't think it would have mattered anyway. I had to make myself put it down to type this!!

I think it was the winter of 2005 when I went to Florida to play golf and Lisa orchestrated a gathering in J-ville. Ricks brought his Goodall Mahogany/Sitka for me to play that day. That started a search for me that took me through MANY guitars, always trying to hear something similar to THAT sound. I can say without hesitation that this one exceeds it. It's really loud and powerful, and has substantial bass response while keeping great string separation....something very, very few instruments can achieve. I thought I wanted a 12 fret 000, but not anymore.....this one is the voice I've been hearing in my head!

Some of you will wonder what the binding, headstock overlay and backstrip are.....curly Sapele. And no, it's not a 1 13/16, but the string spacing at the nut is nearly 39mm, in combination with a neck profile I'm finding very comfy are making this guitar very playable for me. The spacing of my Webber is only slightly over 40mm, so it's pretty darn close.

Needless to say, Friday was a GREAT day.....got to catch up with two friends that I really missed, and had a wonderful, wonderful instrument hand delivered......could it get any better?????

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention....it's French Polished I'll get some sound clips up after golf season is over.....

The grain on this Sitka is just insane....

Last edited by fitness1; 12-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Musical minimalist

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by fitness1; 12-13-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

They use that sticky glue so you can't let go!
Been missing you at the McJams.
Afraid to play golf with me again? (my shots had Todd laughing so hard we almost lost him)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
They use that sticky glue so you can't let go!
Been missing you at the McJams.
Afraid to play golf with me again? (my shots had Todd laughing so hard we almost lost him)
you did fine.....toward the end of the round I though you were going to start whoopin' on Tim and I!!!

I'll get back sometime soon......

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 PM

Great story, Todd....Tim and Mary are the best. Look forward to hearing some sound clips from your new acquisition.

Congrats.

Danno
Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wondered if it was a wise move to change the glue. That sticky stuff seems to work just fine.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Todd! Tim and Mary make a very find guitar indeed! Hope you enjoy it and you get your computer fixed.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM

awesome story...............awesome guitar !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Fitness1--

Congratulations! What a gorgeous guitar that Mcknight Highlander is,. I bet it sounds fantastic. I've heard good things about osage orange, and hope to have the opportunity to try a Mcknight osage one day.

DAVE
Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
strummin' an x12

What a wonderful happening-- great people, and a great guitar. I love the quality of your guitar pictures, these and others you have posted.

Of course, I didn't recognize you at first in the picture of you with the McKnights, because you weren't wearing

your hat.

~ S.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Awwww, he didn't wear his hat at all while we were there. It was a little chilly outside, too!

However, the sun was out and he has hair on his face so that kept him warm.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM

I remember that guitar! And the day you were playing it! I have thought about it often :-)

It was the one that clearly and obviously resonated with you and your playing style even more than all the other wonderful guitars that were there that day. Preeettty! It was a sad moment when you put it down. I am *so* glad it's found it's way back to your hands!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Congratulations, Todd! I saw a few of my favorite McKnight demo guitars go to new homes this past years' McJam. I'm so glad you were spared that heartache!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Congratulations! What an awesome guitar that undoubtedly still has one of my fingerprints embedded on it (polish it thoroughly! )

Tim and Mary are simply the best. My hope is you can find your way back down to Greater Metropolitan Morral for next year's McJam -- and bring along those golf clubs (golf season's over up here in Traverse City, so I envy you downstaters...).
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Musical minimalist

Uh, yes, I wasn't wearing my shorts.....(code word "hat" - LOL)

Well, the computer is back down again already, and I'm at the library posting (yes, from the 12" chair in the Youth room!)

Good news is I have my new baby to keep me company!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop