The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Default How do you finish your custom guitar?

How do the different luthiers on here finish their guitars?
Do most use the same material and sprayers? Do you have spray booths in your shop?
Is there a technique and art to finishing just as there is to building the guitar in the first place?
Do custom guitars have the same as factory guitars-in terms of glossy finish?
Do most do their own finish or send out to a finisher?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM

I'm not a professional builder, but I am very interested in guitar construction. There are a fair few ways to finish a guitar. I think it is generally personal preference on what finish someone uses. However, from what I have read on various forums, finishing is just as much of an art as building a guitar. Some people, devote all their time into doing this job and hence become very talented finishes who do work for other builders, I guess like people who do inlay work.

I'm sure some of our resident builders will soon jump in and give their personal views!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM

There is absolutely an art to finishing! For me, getting a perfectly level and glossy finish is even more challenging that building the rest of the guitar! As for outsourcing finishing, it is common, but many people do their own finishing. I've always done my own finish work, but I recently moved into a new shop without a spray booth so I may have to get someone else to do them for me from now on. It kinda saddens me because I really like the finishing process!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM

I will only answer for me. I do my own finishing, as well as everything else for the build. The finish is a very important aspect of an acoustic guitar. I want to control everything about a guitar that will have my name on it.

My primary finish is Oil Varnish. I also do finishes in Catalyzed Urethane or Nitrocellouse Lacquer if the client prefers. (for an upcharge.....I prefer varnish for several reasons) There's alot of myths about guitar finishes. Don't believe everything you read.

Here's a few pictures of guitars finished with Oil Varnish.

This guitar is finished with Catalyzed Urethane.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Many builders send their instruments out, but I do my own finishing, both mandolins and guitars. I have my own professional spray booth, and use violin oil and spirit varnish for mandolins and nitro for guitars. IMO, both are the only finishes that are repairable, traditional and time tested.
Finishing is as varied and complex as building the instrument. There are all kinds of opinions on what makes a good finish, and what that finish should look like. Some prefer the "glass" look and others prefer a more vintage look where eventually the grain shows up. Put me in the latter camp.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have always done my own finishing though there are a few pros out there who do nice sub contracting work too. Like Woody and Haans, I prefer to do my own finish work so that all aspects of the building process are under one control, mine. I used to use nitro until I became ill from using it so it is no longer an option. I have sprayed catalyzed urethane lacquer exclusively for the last 6 or seven years and yes we have a spray booth. Occasionally we use spirit varnish, applied by hand, using the French Polish method of application. I spend as much time finishing as I do building because its a very labor intensive process to do right. All of our guitars leave with a thin yet high gloss finish with a target coverage of 3 mills or less.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I only make classicals, but I French polish all of my guitars. I'm finding out it's more durable than I thought it would be, and it is amazingly repairable. If I ever use another finish I'll send it out and have it done. I don't have a large enough shop to have a spray booth.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 AM

I use a waterbased finish. No smells, non toxic. Applying a lot of thin layers by hand. As Tim McKnight stated finishing it's a lot of work and time consuming.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM

I do a French polish when I can. It's a very enjoyable way to finish... it's meditative, shellac smells really nice, and when done properly it generally takes the same amount of time as spraying/sanding/buffing. I do nitro lacquer only if the customer demands it.

And yes, finishing can be easily as challenging as building, especially when it comes to repair work. It is an art form all its own.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Me

I tried finishing. I'm not good at it. Actually, I'm really bad at it. There are many good guys that can do that for me.
If I was doing 20 or 30 a year, I would develop the skills, but not for 4-6 per year.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM

I keep at it on my own. There is no where locally for me to send my guitars for finishing, and shipping them over the boarder to Joe would just be cost prohibitive as well as an issue with customs...

So, I do my own finishing. I actually enjoy the finishing process, although it can be frustrating at times. I have a small booth set up in my shop. I spray nitro lacquer and I've tried the Target EM Tech 6000 which was good, but I like nitro better. I want to try the KTM SV which is a water based spar varnish. It's had some good reviews with a couple of high end makers. Here's another reason to do your own finishing. You get to try new things, just like different woods etc...

Anyway, I like to do the finishing as it's another part of the process. Don't know if I'd send out to finish if I had the option.....but I don't have to worry about that
Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for the responses. It can seem like it a part of the process that never gets talked about but so crucial.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for the responses. It can seem like it a part of the process that never gets talked about but so crucial.
Yep....

I should have said in my earlier post, I'm currently working on an "Acoustic Guitar Finishing with Oil Varnish" DVD that will (hopefully) be ready by Early December.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
Yep....

I should have said in my earlier post, I'm currently working on an "Acoustic Guitar Finishing with Oil Varnish" DVD that will (hopefully) be ready by Early December.
Cool Woody, looking forward to it.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Default French Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I only make classicals, but I French polish all of my guitars. I'm finding out it's more durable than I thought it would be, and it is amazingly repairable. If I ever use another finish I'll send it out and have it done. I don't have a large enough shop to have a spray booth.
I've never owned a guitar with the French polish, but I almost had Simon Fay do it on my first custom, the OM I've got for sale now. If I get to order another Fay, or any other luthiers work, I would seriously consider doing the French polish. It's beautiful, it's tone enhancing and it's repairable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop