The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

when I save up enough cash, this model will be my next guitar. I got time til you find that perfection.

you definitely got a admirer of your work sir.

from all the way from Korea!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Well I'll know in a month or so if it worked out.....

And no apple didn't design my binding jig... it would have been made from aluminum, and had some internal camera or something :P

I was fortunate and unfortunate enough to visit John at his shop a few days before this picture. It did not have a neck attached but i really liked the shape, size and weight. I just wished it was more 'complete' so it could be played . One thing i noticed was for a prototype it REALLY looked good. The top was thin. Did i say i liked the shape? John was very nice. I was a little surprised when he said if it did not 'work out' then he would destroy it. But i respect someone (John) who wants to produce only the 'best' he can.

John, if this 'works out' please post the finished product. And if you can just leave it in your shop. Maybe i will just have to make another trip to your area to check it out .

PS: while there i asked about that 'Apple' logo ... just wondering if this was a prototype jig for luthiers and whether John had 'accidently' picked it up like someone did on the iPhone 4 prototype .

Ken
Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
I was fortunate and unfortunate enough to visit John at his shop a few days before this picture. It did not have a neck attached but i really liked the shape, size and weight. I just wished it was more 'complete' so it could be played . One thing i noticed was for a prototype it REALLY looked good. The top was thin. Did i say i liked the shape? John was very nice. I was a little surprised when he said if it did not 'work out' then he would destroy it. But i respect someone (John) who wants to produce only the 'best' he can.

John, if this 'works out' please post the finished product. And if you can just leave it in your shop. Maybe i will just have to make another trip to your area to check it out .

PS: while there i asked about that 'Apple' logo ... just wondering if this was a prototype jig for luthiers and whether John had 'accidently' picked it up like someone did on the iPhone 4 prototype .

Ken
Thanks for stopping by Ken! It's always fun meeting new people.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well I'll know in a month or so if it worked out.....

And no apple didn't design my binding jig... it would have been made from aluminum, and had some internal camera or something :P

Love that fretboard. What is that Mad Rose?

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
Love that fretboard. What is that Mad Rose?
Thanks, and yes indeed it is.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Whew! What a beautiful prototype!..... Prototype--heck...I think you have a few folks who love this as is...thank you for sharing this build with us.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Whew! What a beautiful prototype!..... Prototype--heck...I think you have a few folks who love this as is...thank you for sharing this build with us.
Thanks. It turned out pretty decent, looks wise, for a prototype. Hopefully the tone far exceeds the look.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like your trying to create a classical guitar, its amusing that modern guitar aka fingerstyle is morphing into something very similar to classical style building and playing techniques, I would imagine a modern builder could benefit greatly from the classical schools of constructing wooden guitars-
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
It sounds like your trying to create a classical guitar, its amusing that modern guitar aka fingerstyle is morphing into something very similar to classical style building and playing techniques, I would imagine a modern builder could benefit greatly from the classical schools of constructing wooden guitars-
Interesting observation. While I do think that steel string acoustic guitar builders can benefit from certain mindsets that exist in classical guitars it's not all applicable of course. I think most premier luthiers these days understand many of the concepts and have, in some way, ingrained certain traits and methodology that are interchangeable for both the classical and steel string world. I would agree, to an extent, that the modern steel string fingerstyle guitar shares many traits with a great classical. The construction of the two also share some subtle, and not so subtle similarities, however, on the level of detail that luthiers pay attention to, they are constructed quite different.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Well I get the guitar back from finish tomorrow. Should know in a week or so if I've got something exciting or some really expensive firewood!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 AM

Looking forward to seeing something shiny!

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM
happiness

Quote:
Well I get the guitar back from finish tomorrow. Should know in a week or so if I've got something exciting or some really expensive firewood!
Very exciting!

Fliss
Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Hey John - I'd like to come visit you before your next bonfire !

Seriously, I'm in high hopes you've made something that will meet even your incredibly high standards, and we will be seeing some of these in the near future!

Also seriously, I would like to come see it when it's strung up and ready to tell you its story!

Here's hoping!!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM

Some pics of #17 shiny....

Old 09-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hey John - I'd like to come visit you before your next bonfire !

Seriously, I'm in high hopes you've made something that will meet even your incredibly high standards, and we will be seeing some of these in the near future!

Also seriously, I would like to come see it when it's strung up and ready to tell you its story!

Here's hoping!!

Phil
You know you're more than welcome anytime here!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop