The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Beginner acoustic blues DVD for beginner-recommendation for

Hello,

I have been playing guitar for about a year. I'm thinking of purchasing an instructional blues dvd for beginners but I'm a bit confused and overwhelmed with the offer.

I have read good things about Toby Walker's Blues Fingerpicking Freedom, but I think it is geared for an intermediate player. I also have been strongly recommended Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed by Griff Hamlin. I remember seeing a thread about this a while back but can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Mario
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Default check out Homespun music

lots of good stuff there. i'm working with Happy Traum's videos and like them a lot. I've also ordered a couple Pete Huttlinger videos. Now I just ordered Happy's two video set Acoustic Blues Guitar but haven't started it yet.

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

I just began using BLUES YOU CAN USE...so far so good.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM

There are so many avenues to the blues that it is hard to recommend a specific course unless you are devoted to one style. I like all blues including fingerstyle, electric, reso slide, coutry blues, and jazz, It is truely a life long study but very enjoyable indeed. I spend time working on each each style and enjoying them all equally. They all are related and feed from each other. Rest assured that whatever instuctional aid you choose will further your knowledge of the blues and contibute to your overall understanding. So, pick a course that you like and spend some time learning the music you like and enjoy the journey. It's all good stuff.

Blues
Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM

I would highly recommend Justin Sandercoe's Solo Blues Box Set. This set is focused on fingerstyle blues (he's got a lot of other stuff on blues, much of it free on youtube).

http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-004-SoloBlues1-3.php

These are fairly easy to learn, very tasteful, and give you a sense of several different styles. They are all in E, the predominant blues key, but that's not a significant drawback.

I did buy Toby Walkers Blues Fingerpicking Freedom, but at the time it was beyond me. Maybe I should take another look. I also tried working with one or two of the Stefan Grossman blues DVDs but frankly found Justin's to be more fun and clear. Nice tabs too, with Justin's.

Best of luck,

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
There are so many avenues to the blues that it is hard to recommend a specific course unless you are devoted to one style. I like all blues including fingerstyle, electric, reso slide, coutry blues, and jazz, It is truely a life long study but very enjoyable indeed. I spend time working on each each style and enjoying them all equally. They all are related and feed from each other. Rest assured that whatever instuctional aid you choose will further your knowledge of the blues and contibute to your overall understanding. So, pick a course that you like and spend some time learning the music you like and enjoy the journey. It's all good stuff.

Blues
Thank you all for the great advice. Thanks BluesBelly, nice getting some perspective.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
I would highly recommend Justin Sandercoe's Solo Blues Box Set. This set is focused on fingerstyle blues (he's got a lot of other stuff on blues, much of it free on youtube).

http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-004-SoloBlues1-3.php

These are fairly easy to learn, very tasteful, and give you a sense of several different styles. They are all in E, the predominant blues key, but that's not a significant drawback.

I did buy Toby Walkers Blues Fingerpicking Freedom, but at the time it was beyond me. Maybe I should take another look. I also tried working with one or two of the Stefan Grossman blues DVDs but frankly found Justin's to be more fun and clear. Nice tabs too, with Justin's.

Best of luck,

JD
Thanks JohnnyDes. I like Justin a lot, I will check it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Have a look at this web site:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/

I've bought dozens of their DVDs and highly recommend them. You should have no trouble finding something appropriate to your level and style of music you want to play.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap55 View Post
Have a look at this web site:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/

I've bought dozens of their DVDs and highly recommend them. You should have no trouble finding something appropriate to your level and style of music you want to play.
+1 on this. I'm a big fan of stefan grossman's stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg580 View Post
+1 on this. I'm a big fan of stefan grossman's stuff.
Thanks! I'll check them out

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write