The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Recs for video lessons: Flatpicking like Woody Guthrie, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, etc?

Anyone seen anything they like? Sort of that flatpicking version of Maybelle Carter style. Not straight up bluegrass, more folk/country style.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Steve Kaufman's "Complete Flatpicking Guitar Book" does a great job with different styles of flatpicking (Carter-style, rhythm guitar, fiddle tunes), and it comes with a very good lesson DVD to complement it.

If you're talking about ongoing video lessons with a live teacher, I've got nuthin' for ya' - hopefully someone else will.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Check out some Norman Blake, I think you'll like what he does. Tony Rice did some really nice stuff with solo guitar as well. Check out the Church Street Blues album.

As far as bluegrass rhythm, the Chris Jones DVD is the best I've seen. I know that's not exactly what you're looking for but it could be a good starting point.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

Red Beard, are there any specific youtube videos of Ramblin' Jack, Woody, etc. that you can point us to?

Here's a good one of Norman Blake doing what he does best. Is this what you had in mind?

http://youtu.be/BYMEfrxJLho
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Red Beard, are there any specific youtube videos of Ramblin' Jack, Woody, etc. that you can point us to?

Here's a good one of Norman Blake doing what he does best. Is this what you had in mind?

http://youtu.be/BYMEfrxJLho
That's good stuff!

Was hoping for instructional DVD along these lines. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
Steve Kaufman's "Complete Flatpicking Guitar Book" does a great job with different styles of flatpicking (Carter-style, rhythm guitar, fiddle tunes), and it comes with a very good lesson DVD to complement it.

If you're talking about ongoing video lessons with a live teacher, I've got nuthin' for ya' - hopefully someone else will.
This looks pretty good, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Red, we filmed a tutorial on Carter style guitar, using the Norman Blake tune above and This Land Is Your Land by Woody. Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Carter Style Guitar Tutorial
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Jesse - thanks for posting that video - very helpful.

Just a couple of quick suggestions. This video (and at least one or two of your others) seems to be very low in volume. I really had to crank this one up to hear it. Also, Nick's "noodling" makes it hard to hear you talking sometimes, since the guitar is louder than your voice.

To be clear, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I just wanted to offer those suggestions to make your instructional videos even better.

I've watched several of your videos (thanks for the pick comparisons), and Nick is a great player, especially at his age. You must be proud!

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Jason, thanks so much for the feedback. I notice the noodling as well, but haven't said anything to Nick because a) I'd rather hear him noodle than myself talk, and b) I already know what I'm saying because I said it, so it doesn't bother me when he plays over my voice. But it's a great point and definitely something we'll clean up in future videos.

Regarding the volume, I think that's a function of the Zoom Q3HD. It has high quailty, "low gain" mics which do a great job of capturing the sound but don't really add any volume the way cheaper mics will. I think there are things you can do in post (like editing the volume separately in Audacity) that a lot of Q3HD users do to counteract that. We'll look into it. Also, Nick was playing especially quietly in that video and I'm not sure why. I think he's trying to be judicious about how he uses the power of the D-18GE.

Any Q3HD experts out there care to comment? Is there something obvious we could be doing to get a little more volume?

Thanks again!

Jesse
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Red, we filmed a tutorial on Carter style guitar, using the Norman Blake tune above and This Land Is Your Land by Woody. Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Carter Style Guitar Tutorial
Wow man, just watched it, thanks so much!!! This is great!!!!

..............wish I had started at his age.

Last edited by Red Beard; 01-10-2013 at 11:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write