The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson, Coming Up For Air

I've been mostly off the radar screen for over a year here on the AGF, but my cloak of invisibility doesn't mean I haven't been making guitars! Quite the contrary, in fact... My life and career have undergone some major transitions, and in the midst of moving twice in the past year, setting up in a new workshop, a new home, and all the rest, I got woefully behind in my custom build schedule. So I basically kept my head down so I could pull the plow with as few distractions as possible.
I'm still working to catch up, but finally settling into a good groove here in Fairhope, AL. I'd like to tell the story, and show some new guitars, and re-join the conversations with my friends and colleagues here in this acoustic guitar oasis. So, here goes...

Before I left Birmingham and moved down to Fairhope on the Gulf Coast a little over a year ago, I had decided to prototype a new guitar model, a modern OM, which I decided to call the Eclipse OM. Since the first one was built, all but one guitar in my recent production has been an Eclipse. My patiently waiting clients have jumped on this new design with great enthusiasm, and so I have been building multiple iterations of this model since then.
I even started a "stealth" build for myself, early on, and recently completed it. So I FINALLY have an Eclipse OM guitar that I designed and built for myself! It's everything I ever wanted in a guitar, and I am playing more now than I have in years. You guys know what that's like. It's awesome.

First, here are some photos of the first prototype Edwinson Eclipse OM, which is now owned by Jeff B., up in Birmingham AL, who has become a good friend.

This prototype Eclipse is a 25"- 25.75" Multiscale, with a few other new features, including my new open headstock design, which I call the Omega headstock. This headstock was strongly inspired by Matthias Roux (Casimi Guitars, South Africa). I think Casimi guitars are the sexiest guitars on the planet. Click the link, and I bet you'll agree.

Since the first Omega headstock seen here, the majority of my custom build clients have chosen the Omega for their guitars too.

The woods on this prototype Eclipse are: Mastergrade Indian Rosewood back and sides; Sinker Red Cedar top; Honduran Mahogany neck with Maple/Rosewood/Maple center lam; Macassar Ebony fingerboard, bridge, front and back headstock plates, binding, and bevel trim. The purflings on the top, fingerboard, and headstock are cross-grain Zebrawood.
I made the soundport with a slider, so it can be played open or closed.
Built for both comfort AND speed, I built this guitar with a Florentine cutaway, and arm and rib bevels.

I have a few more of these Eclipses to show, including my first ever left-hand guitar, so stay tuned for the upcoming posts. Thanks for looking!

Here are some more detail shots of the Eclipse Prototype...

Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

That is just gorgeous, and unique.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 PM

WELCOME HOME STEVE!!!! You have been sorely missed not only cuz you are a great guy, but your guitars are just works of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 03:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson, Coming Up For Air

Good to see you are back! You’ve been missed.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 PM

That is gorgeous!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous guitar, Steve!

Welcome back--we've missed your craftsmanship, spirit, and energy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Smile Back

Great news, Steve. We've missed you.
Fast Jimmy
Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Tom said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
WELCOME HOME STEVE!!!! You have been sorely missed not only cuz you are a great guy, but your guitars are just works of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yay, u are back! Hope all is well and you are having fun.

Glad to see your herds increasing!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, there is a lot of stuff going on there. Nice job.

I like the Omega headstock and way the strings go straight back to the tuners behind the nut.

Cool guitar.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Great to see you're still busy making great instruments, Steve! Welcome back!

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD
Old 06-06-2018, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Never knew I have so many friends!

All of a sudden, this thread feels like a party! Thanks to everyone here for all those warm greetings. It's great to hang out with you again.
Marty, thanks for your comment. "Unique" is exactly what I was striving for.

Tom, as always, you're just about the most popular guy here on the Forum- you're everybody's best friend.

Mark, I really appreciate your greeting too, since you are one of the most amazing luthiers on the planet. Your guitars always inspire awe and wonder, and I am so glad that you share your Art and Craft wisdom so generously, here on the AGF. Keep setting the bar higher, and I'll keep trying to follow your example.

Rwhitlow, welcome to the AGF. My buddy Joel pointed out to me yesterday, this was your first post here. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Nemo, I'm still remembering the great time we had at the 2015 Memphis show. Hope to see you at other big guitar events in the future.

Jim, even in a big crowd of great friends I've made in this work, you stand out front and center as one of my all-time favorite clients. How's the guitar holding up?

Paul, it's always a kick to see what you're up to. Thanks for spicing up the community kettle!

John O, thanks for your comments. When I set out to design the Omega headstock, straight string pull from the nut to tuner posts was a primary objective. I shot a short video demonstrating the quick, easy way to change strings on it too. I think I'll post it later. Happy building, buddy!

Gaultier, great to hear from you. I hope everything is great in your world!

Now, I have another Eclipse OM to show, and it looks nothing like the first one. Same body shape, same headstock, but a very different look. Bruce M., my client for this one wanted a Standard (non-cutaway) with a Steampunk aesthetic. The back and sides are Cocobolo, and the top is a very unusual Red Cedar that I got a good supply of before I left Seattle in 2012. It is harder and denser than any Red Cedar I've found before or since, and it produces great tone and a wide dynamic range.

The tuners are really cool- made by Schaller, called the Da Vinci, with an antique copper finish, these tuners have a true Steampunk look. I also used a "gears" motif with the rosette, 12th fret inlay, and double upper and lower bout sound ports.
By the way, I've now made three guitars in a row with both upper and lower bout sound ports, and they really do deliver the sonic goods. It seems that the lower bout ports emphasize the midrange, while the upper bout ports seem to punch up the bass end. That may seem counter-intuitive, but in all my experimentation with side sound ports, that observation holds up. Using both upper and lower bout ports, the sound is really big and colorful. I think I'll keep doing this.
We decided to do a shaded finish on the soundboard. I think it adds a little to the Steampunk vibe.
Apologies for the low quality of the photos of Bruce's Steampunk Eclipse. I didn't have the room then to set up a studio, so I just shot a few photos in the shop with my iPad.
Thanks for looking!

When this guitar was done and ready to deliver, I had a chance to personally hand it over to Bruce. He and his wife and their two dogs take an annual sojourn from their home in Wisconsin, for a two month stay in Mexico Beach, FL, to escape the winter freeze. We decided to meet up halfway between there and Fairhope, in Destin, a gulf coast resort town with white sand beaches and turquoise waters, which is about a three hour drive from here. I booked a room at the Destin Days Inn, and met Bruce there on a balmy January afternoon.
I handed him the guitar, and for the next couple hours, we hung out in my room, as he took the guitar through its paces.
Bruce is a really good player! I wish I had been able to record him, as he explored all around the musical map with his new guitar. What a great experience, to hear and watch that.
Finally, it was time for Bruce and Pat to drive back to Mexico Beach. Pat asked Bruce, "So, are you going to keep it?" He replied, "Yup!"

A few weeks later, Bruce and Pat and the dogs decided to drive back through Fairhope on their way back home. Bruce came over to the shop and spent the afternoon with Joel and me. Again, we were treated to more of Bruce's rollicking, spicy, wizardly guitar playing. It was a memorable day; and now we can look forward to an annual visit, when they head south again for their Florida winter vacation.
Last I heard, Bruce's other guitars aren't getting much playing time. I guess the Steampunk Eclipse turned out okay.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 06-06-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Steve, these are gorgeous!! I know I am so overdue at sending you my specs, and will definitely get them to you (really sorry for my delays!!!). More than anything, there's a happiness in your writing that is coming through, and I'm really enjoying that. Looking forward to additional posts, pictures and conversations!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:36 AM

I couldn't really imagine liking a steampunk acoustic guitar - boy, was I wrong! That's a real knockout! Really glad to see you back here on AGF, Steve.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Steve, the Steam Punk Eclipse OM looks great! I love the burst top and that cocobolo is very nice too. Look forward to hearing a soundclip of one of this model. Glad you're taking a break from building long enough to post some recent activity pics.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm really digging the 12th fret inlay, Steve. And the dark ink lines in that Cocobolo are absolutely lovely. I like how you extended the Cocobolo onto the heel cap as well. I know some don't like that look, but for me it really brings the back together with the rear headstock veneer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop