The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 AM

Default Getting mixes to translate well to common listening devices

This has been the steepest of learning curves for me. I get things sounding pretty good through the monitors, I render a .wav, load onto my iPod, rip a CD, and playback on devices that my potential listeners will be listening on; namely, earbuds, car speakers, boom boxes, and PC speakers, and on those other means, I get a lower midrange "thump" that is very annoying, and an overall muddy sounding mix. The thump and the mud is not sounding on my monitors. To get the mix to sound decent on common listening devices, I have to mix a bit bright with the monitors.

Is this common?

FWIW, my guitar does have a hot spot on the lower F#'s, that same hot spot shows up a bit on the surrounding F's and G's, but is most prominent on F#. Songs in D in standard or drop D tuning is where the problems show up the worst. Curiously, when I drop down to DAdgad, the hot spots minimize considerably.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That is pretty common and is part of the business of learning your monitors. Do you listen to professional mixes that you like that are in the genre you are playing on your monitors before you mix? That helps you to acclimate to the monitors. I do the same with my other listening devices. When I compare a mix of mine on the device I'll first listen to portions of an album that I consider very well-balanced. Then, if my mix is off in some way, my ears can hear the difference. The next time you work on the monitors you integrate your learned response curve into your thought processes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Do you listen to professional mixes that you like that are in the genre you are playing on your monitors before you mix?
Not only that, but I have lost some respect for some recordings that I used to admire and gained respect for some that I used to think were lame. Ever heard a Stepan Rak recording? I always scratched my head at why they would record and mix him so low and distant, being the aggressive wildman that he is, but now understand that a player like him needs the dynamic range above all else.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW View Post
This has been the steepest of learning curves for me. I get things sounding pretty good through the monitors, I render a .wav, load onto my iPod, rip a CD, and playback on devices that my potential listeners will be listening on; namely, earbuds, car speakers, boom boxes, and PC speakers, and on those other means, I get a lower midrange "thump" that is very annoying, and an overall muddy sounding mix. The thump and the mud is not sounding on my monitors. To get the mix to sound decent on common listening devices, I have to mix a bit bright with the monitors.
It could work like this. If your room (or monitors) is taking some lower midrange thump out when you are monitoring, you might bump those frequencies up when mixing. Also, if your room is not absorbing any high frequencies, a bright mix for you in your room, will sound flatter in a well treated room.

I think I got that right
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM

It sounds like your room may have some nodes/axial room modes causing some frequencies to exaggerate & others to cancel out. This is common in a room that hasn't been tuned.

I do agree that you need to spend some time getting used to the monitors, but also think you need to understand your room. Loop a song in your DAW or iTunes and listen to it while moving about the room to see what changes in different parts of the room. Also move the monitors around while listening & then wander the room some more to see what changes. This will give you insight into the issue the room has and will help you place the monitors in the best position to minimize the acoustical issues as much as possible.

What are the dimensions of the room?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD