The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Another approach to noise is just to use a good noise reduction tool. RX can do an amazing job of removing large amounts of noise with no audible damage, as long as you can give it a good noise sample. Not cheap, tho.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Is that the one by iZotope? Looks like its $300, not as bad as I thought.

Maybe what I should do is record a good basic track, then pay Cass to mix/master it and see what final result sounds like, before i start thinking about a whole new computer setup for recording.

Anton
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Is that the one by iZotope? Looks like its $300, not as bad as I thought.

Maybe what I should do is record a good basic track, then pay Cass to mix/master it and see what final result sounds like, before i start thinking about a whole new computer setup for recording.

Anton
Right. The Advanced version has more features, (and costs more...). I forget whether there's a substantial difference in the noise handling. I wouldn't make RX my main strategy for dealing with noise - better to get the environment under control. But it's a really useful tool, and well worth having. Besides broadband noise, you can deal with anything from string squeeks to chair noise. I have a little demo where I removed my cat meowing from a track :-)

I'd spend some time trying to figure out how to get the noise a little lower, but then, for sure, get a good performance and see what Cass thinks. He can deal with some noise for you

Last edited by Doug Young; 06-14-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM

I have a usb extension cable and use Touch OSC app on my iPod Touch as a remote control to get the laptop in another room and away from the mics. It comes in real handy when I am doing multiple takes of the same piece and need to keep my sitting position exactly the same across those takes. I still get some noise, Reafir does a pretty nice job of minimizing it. I'm also looking at schwa; I've figured out how to get breaths and clanking cat doors out with it, but I have not been able to get finger squeaks out without carving out guitar sound. If it takes a more powerful tool like Izotope to deal with those, I'm inclined to pay someone else who knows their way around Izotope to do it.

Last edited by KenW; 06-18-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM

I just slapped together some really cheap gobos and they helped me with a lot of high frequency noise. Bass frequencies are another story altogether, although the gobos lowered the "hum" in my room from C# on the low E string (about 140Hz) down to Bb-B (about 120Hz.)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 AM

I've had the same kind of issues but I'm happy to fade down and out rather than a longer tail with background noise. I listen to lots of Bert Jansch and older Pentangle stuff a lot of that stuff just fades down quickly. I think the average listener isn't so hung up with fade outs.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureboy View Post
I've had the same kind of issues but I'm happy to fade down and out rather than a longer tail with background noise. I listen to lots of Bert Jansch and older Pentangle stuff a lot of that stuff just fades down quickly. I think the average listener isn't so hung up with fade outs.
Yep, pretty much what I do most times. Also trim the beginning of the piece right up to the first note.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

With the fades in and out the room noise is not that objectionable to my ear. I am going to try and eliminate the computer noise a bit more but if it doesnt work i might just go that route.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD