The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
>>>>>>>>>>
This is probably inviting overgeneralizations, but does anyone else find that as a result of their bright sound, Taylors may be particularly well-suited to fingerstyle?
Yes, I happen to like the range found in the distinctive "Taylor Tone". Always have, and my XXX-KE may be the epitome of that....
Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ewalling,

I find that Taylors I own work for my kind of fingerstyle playing, which seems similar to what you do, sort of a combination of finger pad and short finger nails and I also use a thumb pick. I own a 12-Fret (sitka/EIR) and a 514 (cedar/mahogany).

To my ears a GA8 is not overly bright, but that's for my playing style and ears.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Ewalling,

I find that Taylors I own work for my kind of fingerstyle playing, which seems similar to what you do, sort of a combination of finger pad and short finger nails and I also use a thumb pick. I own a 12-Fret (sitka/EIR) and a 514 (cedar/mahogany).

To my ears a GA8 is not overly bright, but that's for my playing style and ears.

Regards, Glenn
No, perhaps not - I don't have enough experience with Taylors to really compare the GA8 with other models. It's spot on for me, though. And what a neck and feel on the fingerboard ... perhaps I am in danger of becoming a Taylor guy!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 PM

I find Taylor's string to string balance, clarity, and accurate intonation favors fingerstyle. IMO, contemporary voiced instruments seem to work with the fingerstyle music being played in our generation.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:23 AM

i usually see taylors strummed hard at church. idk, when i think fingerstyle, i think martin om's and smaller; alot of various tones you get squeeze out of em.. when i think taylors, i think church music and some christian rock singer that has a guitar that sounds like it isnt plugged in.

GC's are an exception, and exceptional. i like those alot, and they seem well suited for fingerstyle.
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 AM

I think Taylors were designed for fingerstyle orginally, strumming and flatpicking is pretty uninspriing with them, fingerstyule cobmined with Elixirs, not bad.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 AM

I got my Taylor for fingerstyle though it does fine for strumming and soloing too. My Guild has recently got a new lease of life thanks to a new saddle and is OK for fingerstyle though I usually exploit it as the dreadnought it is.

And as some have previously said the Taylors, especially the GA, GC and GS models, are reknowned as ideal for fingerpicking. As for the brightness, well as far as I'm concerned that is a good thing and can always be tamed by playing style, eq (if amplified), different strings etc. At the moment I'm trying out Martin Lifespan SP phosphor bronze and have a very satisfying mellow tone with sufficient clarity
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 AM

The 714 is amazing for fingerstyle: responsive, warm, and chock full of overtones. It can really fill a room, even under a soft touch. Owning one, I have more experience with that model, but of course Taylor makes many others which also fit the bill.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote: Mr Peebuddy:

GC's are an exception, and exceptional. i like those alot, and they seem well suited for fingerstyle

+1. Love my GC3 (my first and only Taylor) for fingerstyle!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I think Taylors were designed for fingerstyle orginally, strumming and flatpicking is pretty uninspriing with them, fingerstyule cobmined with Elixirs, not bad.
I've heard that about the Taylor-Elixir double act. In my case and in this sense, the GA8 was no different from any other guitar I've owned - it really came alive as soon as I got the Elixirs off and an uncoated set on. The change between the sound with the Elixirs it came with and the sound now with Martin Marquis SP Lights is, to my ears, a significant one for the better.

Last edited by ewalling; 01-08-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Peebuddy View Post
i usually see taylors strummed hard at church. idk, when i think fingerstyle, i think martin om's and smaller; alot of various tones you get squeeze out of em.. when i think taylors, i think church music and some christian rock singer that has a guitar that sounds like it isnt plugged in.
I guess I'm not such a "Taylor guy" after all, then!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
“Bright players have lots of attack,” Brian explains. “As a result, you don’t hear the midrange bloom as much. A lot of times they’ll complain about a quick decay, that their tone doesn’t have fullness.
Quote:
Fingerstyle players with darker hands, Brian says, can use a little more nail strike in their attack. Dark players also can play brighter tonewoods more successfully. “A bright player on a bright guitar like koa or maple might sound thin or wimpy, but a dark player will sound fuller,” he says.
Quote:
“So, by selecting tonewoods, you can take a guy who has really bright, plinky hands, give him a warm-sounding guitar, and he’ll tend to sound really good.”
Creating web forum wives tale needs and then responding to them. This is self fulfilling marketing at it's best, or worst depending of your point of view.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Swapping did you have to change the setup when you switched between Elixirs and EXP Lights other than maybe a truss rod adjustment?

Admittedly I bought my Taylor GC3 because it was the best I could afford but wanted either a 714ce or Martin 00-28VS.

What I was coming from was a stellar Esteve 9/CB classical that was simply elegant in every way but I wanted to be able to be more versatile with steel strings and didn't like working my way up the. Chords and strumming on it, the 2" neck was just a tad wide.

I've had the GC3 almost two weeks and every day it impresses me more, especially since I switched to Elixir Nano Light PB a couple of days ago. What is becoming very apparent is how balanced and comfortable this is to play, it's not too big and not too little for playing at home and the neck is just so balanced ( there I go using that word again) and I've been noticing how my thumb has been more comfortable and it just seems to work in a way I don't have to think about it as much as before. I'm very much a newbie to steel strings so every day is an event of learning but lately I've been wondering about a 12 fret GC cedar over mahogany or maybe rosewood custom instead of the 714ce but I can't find fault with the sound of the GC3 as it is with the PB strings.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM

I have two Taylors I'm hanging on to. One is my LKSM-12, which I will take to my grave. It's a pretty unique guitar and I've never come across a 12-string more suited to downtuned fingerpicking.

The other, my sinker redwood/EIR GSce BTO, I find is much more suited to strumming. It has none of the nuance, responsiveness, or detailed midrange present in my Webbers. When played fingerstyle, it feels overbuilt and quite "dead" - like you have to struggle to get the tone out of it. However, it has a massive, Martin-like low end and is an amazing strummer. It quite surprised me because it follows none of the Taylor stereotypes - it's got less high-end than many Martins I've played, more low-end, and strums far better than it fingerpicks.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Perennially Maladroit

I do fingerstyle-playing about 93% of the time I pick up a guitar. Unplugged about 100% of the time.
Although I did appreciate the ease of playability and smooth action of the Taylor guitars I've owned (2- a GC & a jumbo; not counting a BT, which I hesitate to call a 'real guitar' ), I found myself always wanting 'more' from the tone beyond the crisp (shrill?) highs and clarity‚ which these guitars were quite adept at delivering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion