The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Boss ME-25 with an acoustic?

Has anyone used the Boss ME-25 with an acoustic?

I would love to hear thoughts.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

I tried it but it didn't sound great.

I really want it to be good for acoustic because I love all the features, size and cost.

I don't know if I could get it if I messed with it enough.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM

I don't think a modeling unit can compensate for an underwhelming pickup/preamp system (for me, anyway). It wasn't until I got those problems solved (via Takamine) that I began getting decent sounds from all my modelers (I have all the software big guns, including Amplitube 3), and hardware units from gt-6 through gs-10 to gt-10).

Modelers can create interesting effects, though. I haven't tried the ME-25, but the GT-10 was just superb, I think the best out there (I haven't tried the AxeFx, though)

For me, the bottom line is that I can use a little compression (not much), a bit of reverb (not much) and occsionally some chorus (not much). Occasioonally I'll try an amp/cab simulation, but am gravitation away from those (although the new AT3 is really impressive)

That said, I should mention that I play nylon string Flamenco guitar, and YMMV (especially for steel string acouistic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakyle View Post
I tried it but it didn't sound great.

I really want it to be good for acoustic because I love all the features, size and cost.

I don't know if I could get it if I messed with it enough.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM

BTW, if you are really serious about investigating these alternatives (I was), it is less expensive in the long run to invest in a software modeler such as Amplitube 3v (my current favorite) or Guitar Rig 4 (no slouch), because it provides many more alternatives, and you can get a much better idea of which each unit does and what to look for on EBay or in the music stores......

Over the long run, I really think it is worth the initial investment to come up to speed on effects.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Yep....
Lasted 15 minutes

Effects: Delay, Rev, Chorus etc
Chorus, flange were the best of the bunch (sound is OK). The rest were passable. Once you set a preset though, there is NO visual feedback when you call it up as to what is ON. Quick changes are possible but you have to first enter edit mode, select effect then remember what the three knobs do for each effect. Once you get there we are talking three parameters. No various types of tap tempo delays, no analog, no digital, just the one they gave you.

Amp Sims,
Not really what I cared about today but seem decent. At least the three knobs in preset mode are always active for Gain tone and Level.

Summary.......
Decent, Effects are very limited, very minimal user feedback as to what is happening, large # of amp sims, built in expression pedal, small, light and battery powered.

For Me..... No way. Sounds are not only limited (and just passable) but would be a nightmare to adjust in real time (assuming I could memorize what most things do). As an effect pedal / looper the M9 for example (same appx size) is in a different league. As an amp simulator it may be worthy but I didn't really care much about that today. Sad really as the battery power and built in pedal were big pluses........ Oh well.... search goes on.....

-Lee

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 PM

Lee - Do you have the m9?

My worry is only having 6 options. I realize you can switch scenes but not with your feet.

Seems pretty cool though.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Default M9 with a T5

Quote:
Lee - Do you have the m9?

My worry is only having 6 options. I realize you can switch scenes but not with your feet.

Seems pretty cool though.
Just started to use an M9 with a T5 - ok, so the T5 is only acoustic depending on your point of view, but hope these comments are still useful!

Still learning all the M9 can do, but so far very pleased indeed. Using the T5 on its most acoustic settings, I like the ability to set up a touch of compression, a smidge of chorus, plus some very nice reverb (try that Particle Verb - woooh!), with a second batch of 3 FX models waiting in the wings. And for the T5, using a more electric setting, I often have distortion + delay + reverb, but you have a vast choice. The M9 also has a few useful EQ options, which can be very handy - whether for acoustic, electric or in between.

Just started using an expression pedal with it, which seems to work fine on pretty much any parameter you like - volume, delay time, FX mix, filter sweeps, whatever...

You can switch scenes with your feet - but I do mean "feet" - it's easier with two! It's a press for the Scene mode, a press to change the scene, and a press to escape that mode. It's quick, but more of a between-songs option.

For me, I don't find the any-3-out-of-6 effects limitation too much of a compromise, and I bought the M9 over the M13 (which I did try in the shop), as that seemed too much for what I needed. IMHO, the M9 suits the T5 perfectly, as you can set up a generally acoustic-friendly signal chain, as well as a more electric-friendly effects grouping, and dance between them. Great! Mix and match it how you like.

The looper is fun too, and does exactly what I wanted it to, with 28 or 56 seconds of ambient bliss! Well, for me at any rate...

Cheers
Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks FastnBulbous!
That is exactly what I needed to hear.
Would you say it makes your T5 sound more acoustic or less acoustic?

I play a high end Seagull, a pretty nice ukulele and most recently a guitarlele.

They each need very different eq/volume boosts, so I was assuming I would set up a scene for each instrument.

I agree, the 6 effects would be plenty (especially if I can control the effects with an expression pedal). Any suggestions on what EP to get?

To know that I can switch scenes while switching instruments without bending over and pushing small buttons with my fingers is good!

This might be a winner.
Now, does anyone want to buy my huge x3 live that has a few bruises and a broken knob? He he
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM

So happens I have spent the last two days with the M9 ........

Set up:
M9, TEch21 Blonde, Bose L1 model II, Webber acoustic with highlander PUP, Sadowsky semi hollow, Strat......

The quick take, WOW..... I sure didn't get this thing the first time.......

Delays... delay.... dela...... del...... de
So many great choices here, all tap tempo. I really like the way all the analog delays (tape, mutihead, analog, etc) feed the delay signal back thru the analog mod so it gets dirtier and more effected as the repeats go on. But you also get all the nice pristine delays with either one or two taps (think simple eigths or Edge type sounds).....

Modulation effects: all good and useable. Tend to be better at the analog models but plenty of ways to do Dig Delay with Mod or chorus to get a very nice thick swimmy clean sound. Add a particle verb or a couple of others to send it to a very cool space.

Distortions: Great! Everything from subtle boost to singing violin leads (Muff type with the semi hollo is Steve Howe Heaven :-))

Looper: just a little clumsy to go in and out of this mode but after a day of working it I am getting better. Does what it should and is nicely featured. THey really should have made the looper page come up in the display when in looper mode!

Tuner: fine
EQ: Didn't really try yet

Overall:
Worked great with acoustic and Electric! PRistine lush to wonderfully gritty. Small, reasonably light, expandable (MIDI and Expression pedals). WRT the scene mode, one can have the box latch in scene mode so that there are 6 scenes at your command or go into scene mode, choose a scene and then the box goes back to stompbox mode. A seperate MIDI pedal to send the right command could be a nice add to the M9. If it were small I would get one that put the unit in and out of LOOP mode and in and out of scene latch mode.

Downsides: Not much but.... THe display is kind of tiny and the colors are a bit dark making the text that much harder for me to see (well being 52 doesn't help either)....... Better contrast or just plain brighter on the display would have been nice. When in looper mode but with nothing playing you get a solid led on the tap switch (ie it stops blinking) but nothing else. Looks a whole lot like stomp mode if you are not thinking about it. Really wish that looper had easy way to control loop volume on the fly. You have to leave looper mode, hold two switches down to get to setup mode, now the vol knob is available. A dedicated expression pedal for looper vol is also an option.......

Can you tell I am liking this one?

Now is the M9 plus expression pedal that much smaller than an X3? A little, but it certainly would fold up in a suitcase better :-).......

-Lee

PS>> The Tech 21 blonde is only used for electric work. That said, this rig really sounds great for electric!!!!!!! Not quite a match for my Rivera but totally passable and enjoyable! Last gig was the first time I tried this and received really positive feedback for the electric work (I use electric on a few tune for timbre variation) progressive acoustic trio 2 guit, bass and 3 voices, three L1 systems)........

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 03-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Lee, I think you sold me.

so, m9, expression pedal and a DI . . . to take the place of my x3 . . . well, i get a free looper in the trade.

did you get a case for it?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Lee, I think you sold me.

so, m9, expression pedal and a DI . . . to take the place of my x3 . . . well, i get a free looper in the trade.

did you get a case for it?
So happens I did pick up the little road runner case that is on sale this week at GC.... $29...... should house everything just fine..... Peadletrain jr looks nicer though.....

Give it all a whirl and let us know what you think

-Lee

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 03-04-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 PM

talked to a sales rep today and am going to check out the m9, me-25 and a digitech pedal he recommended on Tuesday. Playing my instruments through the pedals.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks FastnBulbous!
That is exactly what I needed to hear.
Would you say it makes your T5 sound more acoustic or less acoustic?

Any suggestions on what EP to get?
Hey Ninjakyle

Ok, T5 sounding more or less acoustic through the M9?

Hmm… rather a lot of variables at play there!

Guess it depends a lot on how you’ve tweaked the T5 to start with – pickups, EQ settings – and on the amp you’re running through, but I’d say you can certainly set up the M9 to enhance or push the sound of the T5 in a particular direction.

The M9 might do exactly what you need, but you’d really need to try it for yourself. Lee’s comments are all bang on the money as well – would agree with his observations. I’m in my 50s too, and a brighter display would be good, but you soon learn the colour code and what’s where.

The global tap tempo is of course a joy – a couple of taps to get tremelo, delays etc, all locked in together. Nice…

I use mine with a Line 6 EX-1 pedal, as I’d spotted a number of posts that suggested a few hassles with other EPs – but I suspect some of those were down to dodgy cables or plugging ‘em up the wrong way round! I decided to play safe anyway.

Good luck with trying one out - have fun!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM

For just jumping into this effects thing for the first time I'm wondering if a Floor Pod might do many of the same things for about half of the cost of an M9. I'm wondering if the effects are created differently and therefore might not be as idicated above. Guess I'm bringing my acoustic to the store to A/B some of the effects.

Long term I'm thinking if I need to change from acoustic to electric sounds from song to song (which is what our band does) a T5 might be worth considering. With that in mind, maybe spending a little more on an M9 would be worth it in the long run. Decisions, decisions...

-Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM

bought the m9, expression pedal and di today. I actually really liked how the me-25 sounded but the eq options and way the pedals work sold me on the m9 (much to the disappointment of my wallet).

Can't wait to get all my settings figured out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification