The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Taylor Custom Order - Buyer Beware!

Here is my tale of woe. Custom ordered a K55 from an authorized Taylor dealer in July. Dealer provided me with a "cut sheet" from Taylor describing the custom order with regard to the guitar (i.e. bone nut/saddle, upgraded top, ebinoid tuner buttons), in general, relatively small stuff. Dealer asked for $1500 deposit, so I send him a check.

After a couple of months, I call dealer and ask about the guitar - dealer says should be done soon. Next month - same exchange. Now its October, no guitar, I call Taylor and get the Taylor sales representative listed on the cut sheet.

The Taylor representative tells me that the custom order was canceled by Taylor because the dealer was put on "credit hold," meaning that the dealer was behind in his payments to Taylor and they were no longer shipping guitars to the dealer. Taylor tells me that I cannot get the guitar through this dealer any time this year and, maybe never.

But, I ask, what about my $1500. Taylor advises that I have to ask the dealer for my $1500. Of course, dealer having financial difficulties has already long since spent my $1500 paying for someone elses guitar and can't pay me back despite his evident sincere desire to do so.

What will Taylor do when one of its authorized dealers stiffs a customer on an custom order? Well, the mail is still out on that one because I have yet to learn from Taylor what Taylor is willing to do for me.

Bottom line. It's a cruel world out there. Better check out your dealer before you custom order anything and don't make a substantial deposit. A dealer doesn't have to give Taylor a dime to get the guitar built; therefore, a deposit, if any, should be a modest one.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 PM

Wow, that's terrible.

Good to know, though. Why should a dealer ask for a deposit if they aren't paying Taylor anything up front?

I guess they want SOME sort of money to help compensate if you were to back out of the deal. But $1500 seems a bit excessive.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:07 PM

That is some scary stuff. I am very sorry you are going through this. Do you have any lawyer friends who could write a quick letter to the dealer letting them know your intentions and commitment in getting your $1500 back asap? I would just want to be first in line when their house of cards falls in.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM

Oh man ... That's bad !!
From what I hear about Taylor they care about the end-consumer. I just hope they step in and do the right thing for you.

Dave
Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 PM

Somebody would be getting a butt whippin' if it happened to me.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 PM

Promises, promises Johnny...

I hope you get your money back Dave as that's no small amount of cash.

Last edited by LindaLoo; 10-27-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM

I've never had to put down more than 10% to order a Taylor. I have NS44ce scheduled to arrive in the next week and I only had to put down about $150.

I'm not sure what Taylor can do for you. The store is ripping you off not Taylor. Sounds like you might need a lawyer. What a bummer.

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomaniac View Post
I've never had to put down more than 10% to order a Taylor. I have NS44ce scheduled to arrive in the next week and I only had to put down about $150.
Custom orders generally require more money down by dealers.

Guitar Center wanted me to come up with 50% of the cost of my custom order 810.

Blessings,
David
Old 10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Have you asked for the deposit back from the "dealer"? If not, do so, and do it in writing, making sure to state your conversation with Taylor in the letter. Also phone the dealer and visit him in person.

If you don't get an immediate refund, call the consumer affairs/fraud division of your state or local government. Many states also have laws (usually) called Unlawful Trade Practices. You could pursue that too. Make things hard on the dealer and you'll probably get your money back. On the other hand, if the dealer is really on the ropes and about to go bankrupt, you can probably kiss your money goodbye.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomaniac View Post
I'm not sure what Taylor can do for you. The store is ripping you off not Taylor.
I agree with you; however, my problem with Taylor is that this dealer is still an "authorized Taylor" dealer even though he can't get delivery of any Taylor guitars. I believe Taylor has some obligation to me because I put stock in the fact that the dealer is "Taylor authorized."

If they won't deliver guitars to him, why should he still be "Taylor authorized." Doesn't seem quite right.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 10-25-2006, 03:23 PM

I've got a custom guitar (not a Taylor) on order. The seller required 50% down payment. No problem.

The lesson here is always, always, always use credit cards for this! If you get stiffed, you have a good chance at recovery from the credit card company.

Sorry to say, but unless the dealer comes through, you are probably hosed. I wouldn't give up on him together. In situations like this, making a stink helps. The more noise you make, the better your chances of getting paid. If he's still doing business, you are in reasonably good shape. If he has closed his doors, things will be tough.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Have you asked for the deposit back from the "dealer"? If not, do so, and do it in writing, making sure to state your conversation with Taylor in the letter. Also phone the dealer and visit him in person.
I have spoken to the dealer regarding the return of my deposit; however, you know how the saying goes, "you can't get blood from a stone."

Sure, I can make trouble for the dealer, but to what end. I can also hire an attorney and spend $3000 to maybe recover $1500. No, I think I am out of luck unless Taylor is willing to step up with some kind of deal for me.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 10-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsdb View Post
I have spoken to the dealer regarding the return of my deposit; however, you know how the saying goes, "you can't get blood from a stone."

Sure, I can make trouble for the dealer, but to what end. I can also hire an attorney and spend $3000 to maybe recover $1500. No, I think I am out of luck unless Taylor is willing to step up with some kind of deal for me.
Then file a complaint with the state or local government. Many of these agencies take consumer fraud very seriously, and they can do alot on your behalf - your tax dollars at work.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsdb View Post
Does the dealer not have a store full of guitars to sell? Seems hard to believe he can't come up with $1500 if he's pressed. Or at least take it back in guitars.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG
Old 10-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Agreed

Get the dealer to cough up $1,500 worth of guiter. $2,000 would be more appropriate. Especially if your going to sell is right away to get your money back. Don't give up!

Good luck.

Taylor Bob (No, not THAT Bob!)

HELP! GAS attack: "Must..., Have..., GS!!!"

Vini, Vidi, Vici

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion