The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-red
...Larry, it is mostly about the top wood, I agree--certainly more than strings. But not all. I played a lot with the same top woods and different back and sides. I have continued to do so since I bought my guitars, and there is a marked difference in the sound with different sides/back. Not as much as tops, no, but a real difference. Either way, different-sounding guitars are enhanced by different string types.
Hi Red...
No arguments there...but I'm not obsessive about brands of strings. To my ear - 80/20 sound like 80/20 and phosphor bronze sound like phosphor bronze.

When choosing strings, if guitars are already somewhat dark - Cedar top and Vintage Martins, and they respond well to 80/20 versus PB. And some spruces tops are already bright and PB help tone them down.

My string drawer has a good supply of both, and also some 85/15s which are somewhat brighter than phosphor bronze, but not as bright as 80/20. And I keep a few sets of both Nano and NanoPB on hand as well, and the obligatory D'Addario EXPs which I find darker sounding than Elixirs, but love the ''bite'' of the winding for hammer ons/offs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-16-2006, 08:07 AM

I've been switching from 80/20s to PBs ever since they were invented and I've come to the conclusion that I can't tell the difference. How dumb is that? No matter - for some reason, I'm happier with 80/20s on mahogany and PBs on rosewood.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:43 PM

I've found PBs to be much less bright than 80/20s. The Elixir PBs are mellow and warm to my ears. I put them on my cedar top 714 and didn't like them. The sound was less crisp and punchy, almost muddy sounding. I lost the string definition I was used to. The 80/20s work best for me.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion