The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Undignified

Question K&K Pure Western

I would like to get some info and feedback on the
K&K Pure Western pickup.

To any forum member who uses a K&K Pure Western or has used one in the past
I am very interested in your impressions. Sound quality, volume etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 AM

Just got one of these in my Lowden O25c.

I think it sounds very natural.

It is pretty loud, considering that it does not use a battery (a big plus, in my opinion)

To get the best results, it is recommended that you install with superglue, although they supply a double-sided stick thing that you can use instead - but the output will not be as hot.

My guitar tech assured me that getting it back off the guitar is an easy job for a qualified lutheir/repair person (although the pickup would not survive the removal.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul

It is pretty loud, considering that it does not use a battery (a big plus, in my opinion)

To get the best results, it is recommended that you install with superglue, although they supply a double-sided stick thing that you can use instead - but the output will not be as hot.

My guitar tech assured me that getting it back off the guitar is an easy job for a qualified lutheir/repair person (although the pickup would not survive the removal.
Thanks Paul. Anyone else have the K&K?

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 05-06-2004, 02:31 PM

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul

Everything he said . I put one in my Collings D2HA after hearing the one that came already in my Larivee D10K . I was so impressed with the lack of invasive to my guitar that I stuck one in the Collings just to see how it would work. Well it works fine. High gain ratio worked good at open mike with house pa sounds good on my own house system, have not recorded it yet . It is natural woody sounding . My other collings an OM2h has the fishman which tends to feed back much more quickly but has a bit of a sweeter tone. Could just be the guitar itself is sweeter. The new Goodall I put in an I beam and had to redo it once already as it was not place well. Now it is just oK both the Fishman and the K&K appeal to my ear better than the I beam. There is an LR Baggs sytem though that I have heard that sounded real good but don't remember what the guy said it was. He is here though "bing 4 sons " is his handle you might check with him , ah but your question was for K&K. One other caviot. The Collings don't work with the K&K regular size . You will need the mini if you do use one. I wish someone would have told me that would have saved shipping back and forth . End use comment for me is POSITIVE. They also make a batter version with eq which is very nice as well.
The thing works though as is and other than being a little midrangy (all pickups sound that way to me) It is easily dialed out of the mix but that seems to be a characteristic of pickups other than piezo.s

HOpe that helps .

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 05-06-2004, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up Love My K&K

I've been using one for almost a year now. I got one put in my Larrivee D-03BW.

Honestly, I didn't and still don't know too much about acoustic pup's....so I sorta took a chance on the K&K being a good buy. It came highly recommended from EM Shorts, where I got my guitar....plus, they gave me a killer deal on it!

What I was looking for was a pup to just take the natural sound of my guitar and amplify it....not color it....or change the tone....just amplify it. And I can honestly say the Pure Western has done that.

Here's how I use mine, which will also determine how it will work/sound for you. I don't use an acoustic amp. I mostly play in church. I put my guitar into a LR Baggs GIGPRO unit...for volume control....and go straight into the house. I play with several other guys from time to time and honestly....my tone kills theirs. Good example, my friend uses a very high end Takamine (yes, that is possible...to have a high end Tak), he brings along an actual rack unit to go into his vintage Fender amp. Processors, gadgets, etc. My tone murders any hope of what he had! I'll have people come up to me, who don't play guitar or know anything about guitars, and compliment my tone.

I just got lucky and had someone who knows their stuff hook me up with the K&K. I highly recommend it...
Old 05-06-2004, 05:27 PM

Hey Tom
Installed on my Goodall KCJCK, I have a K & K Quantum Trinity System with a Quantum Blender Dual Channel Preamp. The sound that comes through is fantastic. It is a very real acoustic sound with complete control of highs and lows. I didn't plan on getting a K & K system. When I bought the guitar it was new (cancelled custom order), and the K & K Quantum Trinity was installed. I added the Quantum Blender Dual Channel Preamp after I purchased the guitar. K & K is a great system and I can say nothing but good things about the system and the company. The Pure Western doesn't have the soundhole mic, like the Trinity System, but I bet the sound is very good.
Anyway I highly recommend K & K...........
Russ
Old 05-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Hi Tom,

You already know I love my K&Ks . . .

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-06-2004, 06:35 PM

I have one in my maple Paragon, and I'm quite pleased. IMHO it's a toss between the K&K and the Baggs I-Beam. Personally, I prefer the K&K.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM

i'm pleased to read all the positive reviews... i'm getting one in my custom paragon...

regards
2008 Paragon Redwood/Koa MJ
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to stick one in my Breedlove. I know I'll need the Mini size Pure Western, but placement location is the issue due to the JLD bridge truss system. I've been talking with Deiter at K&K about this and he is very helpful.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 05-31-2004, 05:57 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

To revive the discussion: I like what I've read so far and love that it is such an elegant and small system: woodsy tone, no battery, eq, gaping holes, quack... sounds perfect to me.
Couple of question:
1) How resistant is it to feedback?
2) What outboard volume, eq, reverb unit is available for this?
3) What is the best alternative according to you?

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 05-31-2004, 06:28 AM

All I can add is I actually did the instal myself, it was somewhat easy and my plugged in Martin HD35 now has an awesome sound to it.

I played it yesterday (look for my comments on the thread "What a guitar is suppose to sound like") and the feedback was very low!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:53 PM

Default CaviatEmptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygull
All I can add is I actually did the instal myself, it was somewhat easy and my plugged in Martin HD35 now has an awesome sound to it.

I played it yesterday (look for my comments on the thread "What a guitar is suppose to sound like") and the feedback was very low!
I felt compelled to throw out a little caution, as I stated earlier I had a good relult in the Collings D2HA as well as a larrivee D-10 K but put one in a Goodall with redwood top over rosewood and it was completely useless. A total wash out. Same Tech put it in all three so I am assuming it was done right and the only thing I can figure is the Redwood top on the Goodall was just too active for the sensors. They were awful sounding and just made me sick as they are destroyed upon removal. I recommend using the newly provided tape to test them first then installe them permanently later after testing them in your particular guitar. I put a fishman matrix in the Goodall later and it works well with the rather active little goodall.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 06-01-2004, 12:54 AM

Here's a link to a thread where I posted a link to some mp3 sound files of my guitar with a K&K pickup. The thread pretty much explains the files, but let me know if you have more questions about them.

BTW I love my K&K!!!

http://217.160.250.165/forums/showthread.php?t=46969

http://www.marklyn.info/
Old 06-01-2004, 08:53 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Thanks very much. It really does sound good, although I would not want the trinity system, just the basic pure western system

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion