The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2003, 09:13 PM

Default Best starter guitar (brand and size) for a 11 year old girl.

My daughter is wanting to start guitar lessons and my wife and I are looking at getting her a starter guitar to practice on instead of the $29.00 toy that she now has. In your opinion what is the best starter guitar (budget model) for a younger kid to learn on? What is the best size? I was thinking of a smaller type model (parlor size?) but her soon to be teacher was encouraging a full size model. I'm looking at a lower price point, not a Taylor (only dad can have one of those. ) Just needing opinions.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-23-2003, 09:15 PM

By the way, we are wanting her to start on a steel string acoustic.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:48 PM

There are a lot of threads on this. I would think you will get the best responses if you toss out a budget number. How much do want to spend?

Bob
Old 11-23-2003, 11:22 PM

Yes, price range will help. I think a Larrivee Parlor would be a great choice, but probably more than you're wanting to spend I'm guessing.

Another good, much less expensive, choice would be the Art & Lutherie Ami. The laminate version is under $100 and they have a solid cedar top version too. A&L are made by the same company as the Seagull guitars.

There's the Martin LXM too. They're not that bad for a formica guitar. Can be had for $210.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:35 AM

Talking Size?

Are you looing for a full size or a 3/4? You could never go wrong with a Baby Taylor....hint hint hint.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 11-24-2003, 02:42 AM
OCD Certified

At age 11 I would recommend getting the best full size guitar you can afford for her.
You will be amazed at how fast she will progress if she kept her interest in guitars.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 11-24-2003, 03:33 AM

Thumbs up

Brian.I dont think you can go past a big baby,not quite full size,but pretty close.Thinner in the body than regular dreads,and as she progresses she will still have a great guitar,my wife has one and I find I play it more than my martin.She may even let you play it!

regards.............bat.
martin d16
big baby(my wifes)
vox amp
Epi ej200
Blueridge BR163
Blueridge BR73
Old 11-24-2003, 04:09 AM
OCD Certified

I started on a junk full size classical with 2" nutwidth at age of 12 and I have small hands. Then added a used full size Yamaha dread a year later. That was when I played the most. Almost 2-3 hours every single day after school.
Didn't know anything about guitar itself back then and never once thought the guitars was big for me. Alternating between the 1-11/16 and 2" nut width was never a problem too.

Back on topic I do think an OM size or 12/14 size would be perfect. Used Martin or Larrivee OM are real nice choice and good value too.
Breedlove SC25 Cedar/Walnut
Silvercreek T-160 Engleman/Mahogany
Silvercreek T-170 Engleman/Rosewood
Gretsch Way-Out-West
Old 11-24-2003, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BobS
There are a lot of threads on this. I would think you will get the best responses if you toss out a budget number. How much do want to spend?

Bob
Probably $75 to $150.00. If she sticks with it for awhile and takes care of the guitar, I will probably upgrade her later.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Me

I went through this decision last year. If you buy a $75 - $150 guitar, you've got a guitar that sounds bad, is hard to play, and is not worth much when it is time to upgrade. Buy a Baby for not much more and you've got a guitar that is easy to play, sounds good and if you buy it right, you can get almost everything you paid for it by selling it on eBay.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PastorBrian

Probably $75 to $150.00. If she sticks with it for awhile and takes care of the guitar, I will probably upgrade her later.
I'd look for a used Seagull S6, or one of the others made by them. Get it professionally set up, use light strings and it will be very playable, and it's a good guitar. There's several Seagulls and a Norman on Ebay right now in your price range.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PastorBrian

Pastor Brian,
My 2 cents for what its worth.

Because I have bought many used guitars, both high and low end, I suggest you check some local pawn shops. Their prices can seem high but they usually pay low book and 20 cents on the dollar which typically allows a lot of wiggle room to negotiate. This way you can get a little better quality even if it has a few dings. Old Takamine Lawsuits, Arias, or Yamahas seem to show up where I am at. All good at the entry level. (If you find a old Takamine and it has an "s" suffix after the number it designates a solid top.)

Good luck! (Wait I guess you probably don't believe in that! )
Old 11-25-2003, 09:34 AM

ibanez has a little guitar thats cheap.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveS
I went through this decision last year. If you buy a $75 - $150 guitar, you've got a guitar that sounds bad, is hard to play, and is not worth much when it is time to upgrade. Buy a Baby for not much more and you've got a guitar that is easy to play, sounds good and if you buy it right, you can get almost everything you paid for it by selling it on eBay.
I definitely agree with this...about 4 years ago I was going to "Start" playing guitar and went out and bought a little cheap Telecaster....sounded like crap...was a little flimsy in the neck and strings and I couldn't make anything sound good....could've been playing Mozart perfectly and it would've still sounded like crap...

What I'm trying to say is...just what Steve said, music is about the sound and the feel (inside and outside)...so if you buy a cheap one, it's harder to see if you are progressing cause it still sounds crappy.

To finish my story, I dropped the guitar for about a year, then picked up a middle of the line Takamine and 3 years later I'm gigging with guys, writing songs, etc....it was the difference in that first guitar and the sound I got and the feedback I got from playing it that made a big difference.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 11-25-2003, 01:14 PM

what could be better than a baby taylor ? if price is a problem get a used baby taylor , I sold one once for 150 with a fishman and hard skb. I know what your thinking but trust me i am not the only stupid guy out there.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification