The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Default Is a CF top as "responsive" as a wood guitar top?

Hey All, I just read benderman57's thread ("Advice on a CF Fingerstyle Guitar") and it made me think ... how responsive is a CF top?

What I mean is that a wood guitar manufacturer can use cedar for a lighter touch or adirondack for more headroom on the same build/model. Do CF manufacturers use different tops for the same model to try and give a different response or is it the same?

Thanks - just curious, that's all.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 AM

Yes they do...RainSong has some different tops and Emerald can do anything (almost)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM

i would say that the cf tops can be more responsive. i bought my RS for its ability to withstand dryness, but found it to be amazing in the tonal department as well.
rainsong om-1000
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Yes they do...RainSong has some different tops and Emerald can do anything (almost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimotwo View Post
i would say that the cf tops can be more responsive. i bought my RS for its ability to withstand dryness, but found it to be amazing in the tonal department as well.
Thanks guys. I really had no idea.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM

My Rainsong is less responsive than my Breedlove, more responsive than my Martin. (so middle of the pack)

I expect that by paying careful attention to thickness and graduating the top a CF guitar maker can put the responsiveness anywhere they like.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My Rainsong is less responsive than my Breedlove, more responsive than my Martin. (so middle of the pack)

I expect that by paying careful attention to thickness and graduating the top a CF guitar maker can put the responsiveness anywhere they like.
Thanks AZ.

Overall, I'm guessing that although the responsiveness of a solid wood top with solid wood bracing could change over time that the CF would remain relatively the same?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 AM

I have played only one carbon guitar, which is my Brunner Outdoor, and I find its response to the touch somewhat similar to resonator guitar (very fast, that is, a quality I love in resos. I generally play with a light touch, it is one of my major criteria when choosing a guitar).
And not only it responds fast to a light touch, but this particular guitar handles very well a strong touch, too, making it a very nice country blues/ragtime machine (it isn't always the case with some sensitive wood guitar which sound wonderful lightly played but not so when pushed a bit more)
But again, my experience is with only one carbon guitar, quite particular at that (very small body and 21 1/2" scale)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM

The strength of CF allows manufacturers to lessen the bracing that wooden guitars often employ. This can mean that CF guitars react very quickly and can be quite loud.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 AM

yeah, the cf allows the tops to be built lighter and without bracings, which translates in very fast response and more resonance

each company and each model is different. Rainsong and CA have a slower response, while Emerald and Blackbird are really fast. the Super OM by Blackbird is simply amazing and really loud. every single nuance on my nails is reproduced on this guitar, what doesn't happen on the CAs, for example. the Super OM keeps on impressing me everyday when i play it
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber