The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Yamaha NTX1200R vs Cordoba Fusion 14

I am thinking of either getting a Yamaha NTX1200R or Cordoba Fusion 14. I want a 'fusion' guitar (nylon strings with steel-stringed neck) and these 2 are within my budget.

I was wondering if I could get help from anyone who has trialed or owned these guitars?

I will probably have to buy them without playing them (I know, it not recommended) but I am situated in Oz and it's cheaper to get them from the US. I have read comments that Cordoba build can be inconsistent. Does this inconsistency extend to the Fusion 14 range?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM

I can't comment on the Yamaha but I have owned a Cordoba Fusion 14 RS for about three years. I am a serious amateur non-gigging musician. My primary acoustic guitar is a Taylor 414. I wanted a nylon string that would have a narrower neck with some slight radius to it so it would be more comfortable for a steel string player. I tried several before settling on the Cordoba. I haven't been disappointed. The sound is true to its classical nature unamplified. It has both an acoustic mic and a pickup inside. You can balance the tone between the two when plugged in. I've been completely satisfied. When reading reviews you see the term "good value for the price" a lot. I hate that because I want to know if it sounds good, not just just good for the price. Unfortuantely that is what you have here. I like the guitar and I like the sound. At the time I was looking I played some higher end classicals in the Cordoba line at around $2500. They sound better than this guitar, but for around $800 street price I've been very happy. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM

I'm am in the exact same boat as the op and am looking at getting a new nylon string. I have it narrowed down to the same two guitars that you do. Come on people, we need more thoughts on these two guitars.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Yamaha NTX1200R

While I've never played or even seen a Cordoba I do own this Yamaha guitar.
My friend and I have been shopping for electric nylons for a year and tried everything we could get our hands on for under a grand.These Yamaha's were by far the best thing we tried.I really like the pickups , they sound really good and give the player a lot of control.The blending feature is a real life saver.It's great to be able to shape the signal for any enviroment.
I live in Canada ,so I do 'nt get to see some of the brands I hear of on this forum.Can't wait to see these Cordoba's ,they seem popular here.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Every time I have the opportunity to - I like to hang out a one of the lolcal GC's and sit down and compare various models of similar style and price range to one another and I have compared the Yamaha's and Cordoba's several times both the entry level models and the high end models and every time I have done that Cordoba seems to come out ahead. They just seem to have a better overall build quality and tone. It's not that I don't like the Yamaha's because I do and almost walked of the store with one several times but when you compare apples to apples and play the same notes or songs on each, I think somehow Cordoba's is making a better quality of instrument for reasons I probably can't explain. In fact I played a $199 Cordaba C3 the other day that played and sounded better than most guitars that are selling for $600-800$ maybe even $1,000 or more. That may sound crazy but it's true. I don't know how they accomplish this. That it is my honest opinion, you may feel the exact opposite about that?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I ended up buying the Yamaha NTX1200R as there was a 10% used instruments sale at Musician's Friend last week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical