The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
My feelings exactly. The guitar is stunning looking, but I don't want any wood on my CF guitars.

Regardless of my personal feelings about wood on a CF guitar, though, I would like to say again what a pretty instrument it is. Very elegant.
I too think this is marvelous looking, but completely agree that the job is only half done. Sort of like having a carbon back and sides with a wood top. Many years ago before I knew what I was doing I destroyed a 1967 D-28 by keeping it for years in Utah with no humidification, and the neck shrunk terribly so that most of the frets stuck out. That MIGHT not happen if the wood fretboard were glued to a more stable composite neck, but I would not risk it.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Very beautacious indeed! Art work
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Congratulations jpbat, that is a gorgeous guitar. Do you know if the neck is interchangeable with your other Brunner?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRX View Post
Congratulations jpbat, that is a gorgeous guitar. Do you know if the neck is interchangeable with your other Brunner?
Thanks.
And very good question. I didn't even think of it (the wooden guitar is a 12 fretter long scale, the carbon a 14 fretter short scale, the first answer should be no)
Gonna ask Lukas.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM

I should have think about that (duh...) : my wooden Brunner has a custom neck, wider than usual, and cannot be interchange with any standard one.
Obviously. (shame on me...)

Now, there is something unique in the way a given Brunner body can have several necks. As I was asking Lukas the question, he sent me an explanation that maybe could be interesting for some :

"I do offer the "multi neck" version as you know, but this is only possible with the same body size or distance between the neck joint and the bridge position need to be the same. Those two positions are our reference point for the scale length. If someone wants a short scale and full-scale neck to fit same body there are two possible set-ups; normally for a short scale small body guitar I position the bridge so that the 14th fret is on the body and for the small body full-scale models I would normally place the bridge so, that 16th fret is on the body, meaning that the bridge is moved about 13mm further away from the sound hole otherwise there would be the 17th fret on the body (confused yet?). So I can put the bridge in either position and do a regular short neck with the 14th fret on the body and have a full-scale neck with the 17th fret on the body go from the full-scale bridge position and end up with the full-scale neck with the 16th fret on the body and the second short scale neck would have the 13th on the body. Does that makes sense? I once drew it up for a customer to explain the whole issue more clearly to show that the distance between the bridge and the neck joint always needs to remain the same and of course also the intonation to the frets. All I can do is making longer and shorter neck at the nut end."

He also send me some pics :

There are major renovation presently in the Brunner's shop, and the website is also in remodeling mode.

Last edited by jpbat; 04-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM

I better NOT try one these babies...'cause I just might buy one.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 PM

I received the little black carbon Brunner a few days ago.
I had never played a carbon guitar before, so didn't know what to expect, although I had an idea (of sort) thru reading forums and such.
Don't know if those remarks can apply to all carbon guitars, tho. Anyway:

- first impression is the fast response of the instrument, similar of the attack of resonators (I use resos, so I can refer to them). You don't find that on a wooden guitar. Snappy.
- frequency wise, very balanced response, with few harmonics if any. Exactly what I'm looking for in a guitar these days. I changed the original strings with bigger gauges lowered one step, as usual for me, but that didn't fit the guitar, so I came back to light at pitch, except the bass E string, where I put a .59 to beef up the bass (the guitar has a small body and a 21 1/2 scale, so you're not supposed to pull out a dread or jumbo bass response out of that). A terrific blues/rag machine, I'll have fun with it on those fields
- very good sustain, almost too much for my playing, I'll have to mute a bit more with that guitar, but it will allow for nice long notes with vibrato. Cool.

And of course the guitar is a beauty, which is the first criteria in my book (only after I look for the neck geometry, my second criteria).

Will put a tune or two on You Tube as soon as they are written. Nothing like a new guitar to find new ideas.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 AM

Fantastic! Really, really looking forward to seeing and hearing this small guitar. He really builds as you would expect someone from Switzerland would build--perfection to the tiniest detail. Lovely.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Nice lil review. Thanks
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the review, a number of us have been interested in what Brunner would be producing in CF. This is the first review I have seen on the new production models.

After you spend a bit of time with it, please give us an updated review.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber