The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 AM

Default Questions on Emerald 7 string

I have been doing some research, and would like to see if anyone here has any hands on experience with X10 and X30 models. Preferably in seven string combination. Just how much sound/volume etc do I give up by going with an X10 body?

What Alistair built recently is exactly the route I plan on taking, fan fret, seven string, electronics etc.

This will be my do it all instrument as I plan to sell off my other guitars.
Thanks for any and all info you can share!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 AM

Alistair has made many fan frets, 7 and 9 string. I've not seen an X30 7 string fan fret but he's likely made one or certainly will do one on order.

Here's a couple vids of the X30 7 string without the fan fret. Love it and would love to hear what it could sound like with the additional scale length with the fan fret. Bass is gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EweLqF0NbPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9s5mPQpvlU

Here's an Emerald Baritone 7 string--a larger guitar I think than the X30, but I'm not certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTcQd6m_jU
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Talking

ac thanks for the links.

I have already seen all of those videos, sometimes I glance over on the MacNichol forum. Martin has an X30 7 string and it seems that Peter is playing same instrument in the demo.
I was only able to find one video of X10 seven string, guitar player for Forgotten Suns posted it on youtube, albeit it seems he plays it plugged in.
I am a fan of smaller body (000 size), and have sampled an X30 once, at MacNichol store. Maybe it is time for another trip to sample an X10 and see about its tonal properties.
Reason for fan fret and longet bass scale is: I alternate tunings a lot, not unusual for me to drop it to A# on the bottom string, it will keep intonation where it should be and keep it sounding just right. Think of using 0.66 string for the low B and go from there.
Currently own an Alvarez baritone and like to drop it to A to A from time to time.
Once again thank you for your help!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 AM

One more I just found. You may have already seen it--or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J33ixLZfBXg
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Talking

ac thanks for that video. Didn't see that one.
I have been corresponding with Alistair via email. I have decided on X10 seven string, fan fret with 27" bass scale and 25.5" treble side, truss rod for final adjustment and am waiting to hear back if Gotoh Delta 510 locking tuners will work with headstock space.
It will take three to four months to be completed once it is underway.
Price is very reasonable.
Also inquiried about nutwidth and saddle spread as those are important to me.
If all falls in place I plan to make an order very soon.
I have seen some of the work Alistair has done thus far and have been impressed to say the least.
At this moment I don't think there is anyone else that can compete with his customs, at least in the composite world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber