The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Smile acoustic guitar Brand "SWING"

Hi Guys,

im a noob guitarist.. i was about to buy a yamaha guitar in a store in peninsula but salesman introduce to me this SWINg BRAND MODEL:sm-100 OP.
has anyone here is using any swing brand. they say this brand is famous in KOrea now. and the guitar actiually sounded better than the yamaha f310 considering the yamaha is expensive than Swing. i tried to search for reviews online but didnt see anything.. is this brand worth in terms of quality of make, sound and more? or can anyone suggest a nice accoustic guitar for a budgert of not morethan 250SGD. thanks a lot.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Im not familiar with the brand -but that doesnt surprise me . Typically with guitars when you pay less than the going price for its quality you get disapointment and poor quality . Yamahas are great guitars at their price point - their not alot of money ( typically ) and for what they charge their great guitars ---When you typically pay under 300 bucks you get a beginner guitar , decent quality usually starts about 500 ( a guitar that will last and satisfy its player ) when a person is serious they usually go up wards of 1000 or more -typically the average semi-pro guitar is 1500 and up . Im not dictating to you as to what you should spend -just trying to help your education -

Dont let a music store owner talk you into a guitar thats almost as good as a Yamaha - alot of those Christmas specials are firewood . Take a guitarist along with you to help your decision .
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Never heard of this brand. If I was the suspicious type - I might think they were a trial purchase and are being "highly recommended" to simply get rid of them. I am not bashing Korean-made guitars (they are having too many other issues these days). Some guitars that were made in Korea - like Sigma - are great guitars IMHO.

Sigma guitars were made in Korea under the Martin label, using Martin specs for the venerable D-28, D-35 and so on - just different woods (laminate rosewood for back and sides. etc.), and less expensive fingerboard material and so on - but same pattern and bracing to they sound DARN great.

If I was you - I would search for a used Sigma and grab one of them. If not, you were on the right track with your first idea to get a Yamaha.
Collings OM2H Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion