The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Cheap Guitars You Love

I got my Ibanez AW100CE as my first 'real' guitar back in 2004, as a birthday present from my parents, even though I picked it out. It cost me only $xxx including the hard case brand new, obviously just a mid level guitar.

This thing, though it doesn't sound super powerful, has been amazing to me! I have never humidified it or taken care of it at all really, but the neck is DEAD STRAIGHT. It honestly looks perfect when you sight down it! It lacks the bass of a Martin, but it records beautifully for the stuff that I do as well.

I get some string buzz now, but that's because I have worn the frets out on the thing. It has binding on the neck but the frets have not poked through at all and the sides still feel incredible. It does have one high fret that I just noticed, but rarely affects my playing.

This guitar is probably the best investment I ever made, Maybe one day I will replace the bridge pins, saddle and nut. And it will definitely need a refret soon!

Last edited by cotten; 03-05-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Silver Creek T-160. Good. Cheap. Fun.

Vintage all-mahogany parlor. Ditto.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if I'd call it cheap, exactly, but it's not expensive either. My Voyage-Air VAOM-06 is pretty delightful to play considering the advantages of having a foldup, backpackable travel guitar that is otherwise a full-size, full-sounding guitar with a solid spruce top and scalloped bracing.

- Glenn
Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 PM

I had a Ibanez V-280 dread and sold it years ago. That was one beautiful sounding git. Recently I found another and just had to have it. Jap made, solid pitted hog B&S, very nice git. I wouldn't say I love it but it is a keeper.
Gitnoob, love your little git, you seem to have quite a collection of nice finger style gits. +1
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Silver Creek D-170 Even after a pro setup I still have next to nothing invested. It sounds and plays great.

Last edited by Flatline; 03-04-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
I got my Ibanez AW100CE as my first 'real' guitar back in 2004, as a birthday present from my parents, even though I picked it out. It cost me only $xxx including the hard case brand new, obviously just a mid level guitar.

This thing, though it doesn't sound super powerful, has been amazing to me! I have never humidified it or taken care of it at all really, but the neck is DEAD STRAIGHT. It honestly looks perfect when you sight down it! It lacks the bass of a Martin, but it records beautifully for the stuff that I do as well.

I get some string buzz now, but that's because I have worn the frets out on the thing. It has binding on the neck but the frets have not poked through at all and the sides still feel incredible. It does have one high fret that I just noticed, but rarely affects my playing.

This guitar is probably the best investment I ever made, Maybe one day I will replace the bridge pins, saddle and nut. And it will definitely need a refret soon!
I am spoiled -now- and could no longer "love" a cheap guitar –such as one sporting a laminate wood or one which did not benefit from the punctilious and devoted work of a dedicated luthier.
There are of course emotional ties also to inanimate objects, but once I indulged into the room-filling, warm tone and subtle sound-color of a fine instrument, all rest pales and so does the “love” I could have felt for it.
(Engelmann Spruce and Indian Rosewood)
German Vazquez Rubio -Flamenco Blanca
(Spruce and Spanish Cypress)

Last edited by cotten; 03-05-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj Michelob View Post
I indulged into the room-filling, warm tone and subtle sound-color of a fine instrument, all rest pales and so does the “love” I could have felt for it.
There's nothing that says you can't get that tone with "cheap." In fact, light bracing and thin plates can get you there. Which happens to be how some vintage parlors were made.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Default My Cheapie Silvertone SD50CE

I just got this the other day xx + Shipping 14.99. It's refurbed but new on Amazon xxx. Solid Sitka spuce top. NATO mahogany back and sides, grover tuners. Cleartone 10 electronics and tuner and best setup out of the carton I've seen. Sounds great as good as my Takamine cedar top only a little brighter. Can't complain. I think Samick makes them in Indonesia

Last edited by cotten; 03-05-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 03-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
There's nothing that says you can't get that tone with "cheap." In fact, light bracing and thin plates can get you there. Which happens to be how some vintage parlors were made.
I played Classical/Flamenco until last Christmas... perhaps steel strings elude this basic principle, and would love to be surprised. Those I tried thus far seem to follow the same rule of Nylon strings. Not all expensive intsruments are good, but the vast majority of cheap guitars are not good (one way or the other).

They may be "good" relatively to their class, as in the best of all cheap guitars.

On the other hand, I agree that good guitars are now way too expensive; but so are many other crafts and artisanal articles where a substantial amount of time is devoted to making them... hence the price and the added qualities.
(Engelmann Spruce and Indian Rosewood)
German Vazquez Rubio -Flamenco Blanca
(Spruce and Spanish Cypress)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM

I've been a big fan of the 700 series Yamahas for a few years now. Hoewever, yesterday I stopped into my local dealer and the tech guy was setting up a Recording Kind R0S-06, slot head 000 out of the vintage Martin style. Wow, it really played nice and had a big sound. Nice solid top and laminated Mahogany(or something like mahogany) back and sides. All 4 customers in the store played it and were impressed, so was the tech guy who ended up buying it. Had this been around when I bought a Yammie FS720S, I would have switched teams.

Now, maybe this was just a good sample......

GAry
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS

Last edited by gary0319; 03-05-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Alvarez MD80---lots of volume and resonance, and a bright, clear sound. It has about 80% of the sound of a good Taylor, for a quarter of the price. (But there is no denying that the remaining 20% makes the difference between very good and superb).
Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 PM

I bought my first guitar for $40 in 1974 (or so) - A suzuki F80. I still have it (although it was away "on loan" in the tropics for many years). Fretboard came off at one stage, some of the bracings have fallen out, needs a neck reset and would cost more than it's worth to fix. I've popped on a nut extender and now it is my "lap steel". I love it.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up Yamaha FG-75 Red Label

Got it at a pawn shop for $xx. Hard to complain about that one. Fantastic beater.

Last edited by cotten; 03-05-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM

My Yamaha FG450SA is hammered, dinged, beaten to heck and it sounds sweet. Played it today for a good while and really enjoyed it. Haven't picked it up in ages.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 PM

A bought my Seagull S6+CW in a pawn shop for $xxx. It had been played hard, strap locks installed in four different locations (been pulled out of the previous spots), cedar top scarred and scraped all over, finish worn off the back of the neck, basically beat to death. I wouldn't trade it for anything because it has better tone and more soul than any guitar I've played.

Last edited by cotten; 03-05-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion