The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which type of finish on a neck do you prefer, Satin or Gloss?
Gloss Finish 35 16.99%
Satin Finish 130 63.11%
Don't Care 37 17.96%
Other (Please Explain 4 1.94%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
.................................................. ..........do you happen to know if the flattening paste has sterates in it that may contribute what seems to be a more slippery surface?
Its my understanding that satin finishes, as well as flattening paste contain silica. The silica (kinda like ground glass?) break up/ disrupt the reflection of light to make the finish.....not glossy. I suspect the silica also creates a slightly rougher surface. For some skin types this will cause less surface tension, and give a slicker feel.(again ???) I buff the back of my satin finished necks just like I do gloss finishes. I always kinda wondered if my hand gliding on satin, but sticking to gloss was in my head, but......Doc Watson played one of my guitars, and according to that guitars owner Doc said he really liked the feel of the satin neck. I questioned him closely, and he said Doc specifically said "satin" neck. (I'm sure everyone knows that Doc is blind)

I'm not sure what sterates are made of. Do sterates contain silica, or quartz?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 PM

I guess I'm old enough to remember when a gloss neck was considered high end.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Well I've got a satin neck that is now all shiny from all the playing I've done!

So what does that count as? a buffed satin?
Me too! But I love the way it feels! I got a new 2012 BTO and I am used to my old Taylor1997 neck because of this. I find it easier to play. I measured the neck carve and they are both the same. I measured the nut and they are both the same. So it is just a matter of breaking the new one in.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Satin vs. Gloss

I do not like glossy necks - too much friction, even in cold weather. The necks I like the best on my guitars have a satin look and my hand slides easily on them. After I noticed that difference, I made sure that any guitar I ordered had a slippery neck. They look like satin, maybe they are.

As for bodies, I most definitely prefer glossy. Satin is cheaper to put on and it looks cheaper to me as well. That is why so many low end guitars have it. No difference in sound of course, not that I can tell..
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
A “genuine” is satin finish is actually created with a different finish material, one that has a “flattening paste” added to it. For me it is actually a more involved process of getting a “genuine” satin finish on the neck but if that is what the player’s prefer, then it is worth it.
Is this genuine version only available in certain finishes? Can this version be applied to lacquer as well as urethane, or are there limitations?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Two year-old zombie thread. Check dates, please.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 PM

I have both but prefer satin.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 PM

Default polished

My 15 year old Taylor neck is polished from use. I don't even remember how long ago I noticed, but the back of the head stock and the heel are still satin. If you prefer satin what'll you do when it becomes glossy??
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM

I prefer to put my own chemistry into a neck that i play.

Gibson doesn't give me that option, but Martin does, and I thank them for it.

I get over it pretty easy though, but I can tell you definitely the Gibson necks are a tad bit stickier than the Martins.

That won't stop me from buying Gibsons though

Harmonics101

I'd take a zombie thread over rehash material ANY day of the week

Seriously, i don't understand why anyone would rag on a resurrected thread ?

Last edited by harmonics101; 08-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Harmonics101

I'd take a zombie thread over rehash material ANY day of the week

Seriously, i don't understand why anyone would rag on a resurrected thread ?
Me neither.

What is the problem some people seem to experience when a thread is resurrected?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 AM

My Martin D-18GE and D-28 Marquis had "matte" finished necks and headstocks.
I buffed them out with Virtuoso Polish to get a "semi-gloss". I think it looks better...more "finished".... and feels great.
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Two year-old zombie thread. Check dates, please.
I am actually glad this came back up. I had forgot that I asked this question and just recently almost posted this again. I want to settle on a "standard" finish for the neck shaft yet still leave the option open for custom orders.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
Is this genuine version only available in certain finishes? Can this version be applied to lacquer as well as urethane, or are there limitations?
Most finishes can have a "flattening paste" added to them but it probably depends on the manufacturer (of the finish.) I have used flattening pastes in both lacquer and urethanes. I know there was at least one builder that was offering a satin finish on his neck, but he was just not buffing the (gloss) finish and left the neck sanded. With that method over time the neck will gloss up with play as your hand will act like a buff.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Most finishes can have a "flattening paste" added to them but it probably depends on the manufacturer (of the finish.) I have used flattening pastes in both lacquer and urethanes. I know there was at least one builder that was offering a satin finish on his neck, but he was just not buffing the (gloss) finish and left the neck sanded. With that method over time the neck will gloss up with play as your hand will act like a buff.
Thank you for the prompt reply. It seems that the gloss urethane finishes are a little more tacky feeling than the lacquer. Not sure if that is due to the difference in hardness/hardening agents or not. For me I like the look you have of the satin finish on the neck and back of the headstock, with the gloss on the front of the headstock.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt reply. It seems that the gloss urethane finishes are a little more tacky feeling than the lacquer. Not sure if that is due to the difference in hardness/hardening agents or not. ...
Your welcome ... Hmmm, I have not had the same experience, at least with the lacquers and urethanes I have used, the lacquer seemed to have a little more stick especially on hot days. It could be due to "my" chemistry reacting with the lacquer so I guess as they say ... "your milage may vary."

Quote:
... For me I like the look you have of the satin finish on the neck and back of the headstock, with the gloss on the front of the headstock.
Me too, that's how I do a Satin neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion