The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Which BRW with which Sitka BearClaw top?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4215721...7622515665123/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4215721...7622515993427/

Similar thread to my other one, but I thought adding the pics of the BRW sets I'm going to use would help clarify your opinions. Btw, my office smells great today with all this wood setting in it!

I have 2 other sets of BRW that I thought got put in with these pics, I'll try to get a link to them put up in a little bit.

Last edited by SCGib68; 10-22-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added other 2 BRW sets
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Brazilian is warm and so is Sitka, have you considered different tops?

My two cents but if I had a Braz guitar being build I would learn towards Adi/Engelmann/Carpathian. Not that there aren't great pieces of Sitka out there but just food for thought............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM

I've considered using Adi or Carpathian on some of the sets yes. One of the BearClaw Sitka top sets is going on my EIR build and the other will go with one of these (or the other 2 BRW sets). I'd like to try a Sinker Redwood top on one of the remaining 4 BRW sets, but the other 3 are up for grabs as to what I'll mate them to. The EIR set is going first, I just don't want to second guess myself later as to which top to "save" for the BRW set.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM

I agree with Rich. I'd find an Adirondack top.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGib68 View Post
I've considered using Adi or Carpathian on some of the sets yes. One of the BearClaw Sitka top sets is going on my EIR build and the other will go with one of these (or the other 2 BRW sets). I'd like to try a Sinker Redwood top on one of the remaining 4 BRW sets, but the other 3 are up for grabs as to what I'll mate them to. The EIR set is going first, I just don't want to second guess myself later as to which top to "save" for the BRW set.
Some wild looking sets there. I assume the straight one is your EIR set? Love the figure and coloring of the others - might be fun to match a Redwood up with the EIR and do that bearclaw with one of the really dramatic BRAZ sets.

Sinker or a hard set of Red Cedar will work well with BRW - depending on the top you use (of course!). What are you going to use the guitar for? If it's a strummer/flat-picker, Adi is hard to beat. I just had one done with an unusually dense piece of Red Cedar - which has turned out to be a nice fit. Wonderfully responsive for fingerstyle and unique timbre/strength of BRW. LOUD guitar - no headroom issues or muddiness at volume that I can detect when the pick comes out, which was really sort of unexpected.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar

Last edited by Martin_Nut; 10-22-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Added the pics of my other 2 BRW sets. Busy afternoon, so I'll reply back when I get a break.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion