The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Looking For String Suggestions For My Rainsong

I'll give the Elixir 80/20's a chance and they do sound good. That said, I usually like Phosphor Bronze on most of my guitars. Is anyone using PB's on their Jumbo or any Rainsong? If so, What do you use?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM

D'Addario EJ16 PB on my CO-DR1100N2. I did not find them that drastically different from the 80/20 EJ11. Compared to Elixir Nano 80/20s, the uncoated strings project a bit better and sound richer. I went with the EJ16s mostly because they sounded a bit better than the EJ11s on my Cargo. It was close enough either way with my CO-DR. The CO-DR is very bright sounding for a dreadnought; similar to an OM to my ear. I've ordered a set of EFT16 ground wound PBs and plan to try them as soon as they show up, to see if it makes the tone more dreadnought-like (mostly curiosity, not something I really need). What motivated my switch from Elixirs to EJ16s was a problem with the Elixir G-strings not surviving a gig without going dead and making a strange sizzling noise. I ended up blowing through two sets of Elixir in a few weeks (I gig about twice a month) which seemed too quick given their cost (you can get 4 sets of EJ16s via subscription on Amazon for the cost of one set of Elixirs). Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM

I use John Pearse PBs on all my acoustics, which include three CAs and a Rainsong JM3000 jumbo 12-string. They're not as bright as D'Addario PBs, which I think is a good thing.

I use lights on the JM3000, mediums on my Cargo and New Mediums on my Vintage Performer and Xi. I think they sound really good on all. (The Cargo is the most problematic, because the raw finish seems to make it a bit brighter than I would prefer. Still haven't found anything better than JP PBs for it, though.)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 AM
some guy from NY

the sound of PB on my JM-1000 is terrible. The sound of 80/20 is .... perfect.

But I definitely love the sound of PB on my wooden guitars.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM

I use both and prefer the PB over the 80/20. (WS-1000). I have also had a lot of success with Dean Markley Gold Bronze but I think they may be discontinued (I have a few sets left).

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
the sound of PB on my JM-1000 is terrible. The sound of 80/20 is .... perfect.

But I definitely love the sound of PB on my wooden guitars.
I'm curious which PBs you've tried on your JM1000. I don't suppose you've tried John Pearse, have you?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I'm curious which PBs you've tried on your JM1000. I don't suppose you've tried John Pearse, have you?
just daddario

ej16s maybe i tried mediums and coated variations too.

There was just something that clashed with the jumbo carbon sound.

The only John Pearse strings I've tried were nickel strings. Don't recall the sound now. But I switched back to 80/20 anyhow.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
just daddario

ej16s maybe i tried mediums and coated variations too.

There was just something that clashed with the jumbo carbon sound.

The only John Pearse strings I've tried were nickel strings. Don't recall the sound now. But I switched back to 80/20 anyhow.
If you're happy with the 80/20s, maybe it doesn't matter. I find D'Addario PBs to be extremely bright. John Pearse are much warmer (to my ear). If you ever want to give PBs a shot, you might want to consider JPs.

By the way, don't judge JPs based on their nickel strings. I tried those once (to tame a guitar that was a bit on the bright side) and they just seemed lifeless. I guess it's the nature of nickel. I love the JP PBs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber