The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Default NGD! The Rainsong Jumbo Has Landed

Well, my Rainsong Jumbo with the unidirectional top and LR Baggs Anthem arrived today and I'm one happy camper. First, I'd call it a good looking guitar. Let's face it, beauty is not the strong point of CF guitars like you see with all wood guitars. They don't come close to the beauty of tone woods, but it's still an attractive guitar and Rainsong does a great job of getting the most out of carbon fiber. I really like the sharks and the rosette really sets off the top and the grain of the unidirectional top resembles wood grain. The shape of the jumbo is attractive and fit and finish is perfect. I also like the weave pattern on the sides and back. So, I do like the way it looks, but I do like wood for it's beauty.

Now for what's really important. The jumbo sounds full and rich with great balance from low to high. The low end is deep and articulate. Volume is perfect and this baby is one of the most responsive guitars I've ever played. From light finger style to heavy strumming and everything in between is perfect. Playing chimes on the Jumbo is sooo easy. It chimes as easy on the 5th fret as it does on the 7th and 12th frets. As far as playability goes, the Jumbo action is almost perfect. I say almost because I'd like to have it a hair lower at the first fret, but it's close enough. Barr chords are a breeze. Almost as easy to play as my electrics. I play sitting most of the time in the classical position. The Jumbo is well balanced and sits well without using a strap.

I had tried a CO-WS1000N2 before ordering the Jumbo. I really didn't care for the factory Fishman. It was hard to get anything close to an amplified acoustic sound. After researching pickup systems and talking to several well respected players, I went with the LR Baggs Anthem SL. What a great choice the Anthem turned out to be. It's night and day going with the Anthem over the Fishman. What you get with the Anthem is pure acoustic tone. It's like using a great mic, but without the feedback issues. I plugged it into my SR Technologies Jam 150 Plus and set the eq flat. It was great right out of the gate. I ended up adding a very slight bit of treble and took a slight bit of mids out. No need for preamps or sweepable mids like a lot of UST's need. By the way, the Jumbo looks a lot better without that big barn door on the top side.

I'm not going to bother posting photos. Look on line at Rainsong and that's what mine looks like. I will promise that I'll post sound clips as soon as I can get to it.

Well, that's it. I have a feeling my fingers are going to get a real workout tonight.

Denny
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Congrats Denny!!! Your fingers are in for a workout. You just won't be able to put her down!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber