The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Old Alvarez

My dad's got an old Alvarez that he's had since he was a kid. I'm just curious if anyone else knows anymore info on it. It's dated 1979 and it has a solid top,but don't know if the back and or side are or not. Here's a picture I snapped of it.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Does it still have the inside sticker with model number?
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
Does it still have the inside sticker with model number?
It does, I meant to write it down just forgot to.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Any chance it's a 5014? There are quite a few fans of the old Alvarez guitars here. I for one have been kicking myself for letting go of a late 70's model 5022 (with the label Alvarez scripted across the headstock), and have been searching high and low for a replacement. Would love to hear more about the one you have.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
Any chance it's a 5014? There are quite a few fans of the old Alvarez guitars here. I for one have been kicking myself for letting go of a late 70's model 5022 (with the label Alvarez scripted across the headstock), and have been searching high and low for a replacement. Would love to hear more about the one you have.
I wish it was mine. Maybe one day I'll ask to buy it off him. It doesn't have Alvarez across the top just the diamond shape inlay you see in the picture.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Looks like it has an adjustable bridge by what appear to be the tell-tale 2 screws on either side of the bridge.

You can email Tom Kruszka at: [email protected]

Tom has worked for Alvarez (St Louis Music) for a looong time and can tell you most anything you want to know about their vintage guitars.

Good luck!

B.

Alvarez PD361 (every day player)
Alvarez AD410 (beach guitar)
Taylor 210 (traded for the PD361 above)
Yamaha FG-75 (gave to my nephew; not sure why)
Sigma by Martin (sold; first guitar!)
Martin HD-35 (some day...)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindeman View Post
Looks like it has an adjustable bridge by what appear to be the tell-tale 2 screws on either side of the bridge.

You can email Tom Kruszka at: [email protected]

Tom has worked for Alvarez (St Louis Music) for a looong time and can tell you most anything you want to know about their vintage guitars.

Good luck!

B.
It does indeed have an adjustable bridge. Thanks for the email.

I wish I had more time with this guitar. No idea what the tone sounds like,because the strings sound like rubber bands right now.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Default Alvarez 5022 w/ Script on Headstock

I am looking at a 1972 Alvarez 5022. It has the Alvarez logo in script on the headstock. It has the adjustable bridge with the two screws on the side. I believe it has a spruce top with rosewood back/sides. It is not local and so I cannot see it in person or play it. The guitar looks in great shape.

My question: does anybody know if this has solid top and solid back/sides? Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw999 View Post
I am looking at a 1972 Alvarez 5022. It has the Alvarez logo in script on the headstock. It has the adjustable bridge with the two screws on the side. I believe it has a spruce top with rosewood back/sides. It is not local and so I cannot see it in person or play it. The guitar looks in great shape.

My question: does anybody know if this has solid top and solid back/sides? Thanks
Ah... How I envy you. I had one in the past and foolishly sold it and have been regretting since. The one I had was all laminate wood - spruce top with hog back and sides. Constructed very lightly - it was one of the lightest guitar I ever owned - and I always imagined that's what people meant when they described the same about the old Martin guitars being very light. It has a tone that was sweet, mellow and yet dynamic. It certainly beat out some of the solid top guitars I had.

The only information I was able to find on the 5022 was from an allexperts page here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guitar-Ge...-questions.htm

Quote:
There were at least two different Alvarez 5022's over the years, one was called the GLENBROOKE, or HERRINGBONE PROFESSIONAL, but yours is the other, depending on what year it was made, it is either an Alvarez Mahogany Dreadnought or a Western Dreadnought, made after the mid70's through the 80's. It has all laminated tonewoods, top is white spruce, back and sides are Oboncol Mahogany, white binding, adjustable rosewood bridge, Nato Mahogany neck, with adjustable U channel reinforcement. Rosewood fingerboard, with inlay pearloid dots, chrome tuners and tortoise shell pickguard. There may be slight variations from year to year. In 1980 Mfg retail price was $XXX.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
Ah... How I envy you. I had one in the past and foolishly sold it and have been regretting since. The one I had was all laminate wood - spruce top with hog back and sides. Constructed very lightly - it was one of the lightest guitar I ever owned - and I always imagined that's what people meant when they described the same about the old Martin guitars being very light. It has a tone that was sweet, mellow and yet dynamic. It certainly beat out some of the solid top guitars I had.

The only information I was able to find on the 5022 was from an allexperts page here:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Guitar-Ge...-questions.htm
I am going to pass on it. PM me if you want to the guy's contact info. Seems like a reasonable price. Great looking guitar.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Went back home this weekend for my birthday. The guitar is in fact a 5014 any info about them?

Last edited by Guitarnoob89; 05-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM

bumpity bump
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 PM

It has a spruce top with mahogany back & sides, all laminates ... called the Alvarez Mahogany Folk

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/messageboa...&t=2384&p=6958
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
It has a spruce top with mahogany back & sides, all laminates ... called the Alvarez Mahogany Folk

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/messageboa...&t=2384&p=6958
Strange because the grain on the top follows through the sound hole. There's no visible layers.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM

Hi - there had been a few older threads about the 5014 - check them out here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...t=Alvarez+5014
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...t=Alvarez+5014

The 5014 was one of the lower end Alvarez folk guitar model, similar in construction to the FG110 or FG170 in the Yamaha line up around the same time. The top is most likely laminate by all accounts. Sometimes the laminate layers aren't all that visible or noticeable from the soundhole, but they are laminate nonetheless.

Having said that - the 5014 is a good guitar and was really well constructed with good tone and playability. Enjoy it and let us know what you think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion