The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Mackie SRM450 vs. Yorkville NX550p

After much deliberation I've decided to go the route of active speakers vs. an acoustic amp (thanks VERY much to the thoughtful and well considered opinions of many people in this forum: this site continues to be a fantastic education for me. I am very grateful).
I now have a line on these Mackies & Yorkies (hmmm... could be a tune in that). Both used systems seem fantastic to me. My needs are modest: amateur long time singer/songwriter with occasional gigs (with a band) in the past with aspirations of stepping it up and playing out more (solo or small combo).

Realistically, I may never leave my basement but then what are dreams for?

Thanks in advance for what may follow...

1991 Oskar Graf steel string | 2004 Eastman 810ce | 1973 Yamaha FG-140
1963 Tele | 198? Yamaha SA 2000
1937 National woodbody | 1983 Dobro HoundDog
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
.tom the übergeek

The Yorkville is great!!!

2 year no questions asked warranty, great sound, lightweight.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't think you can do wrong with either. I own the Mackie SRM450's.
I haven't seen any Yorkville dealers around MA.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
.tom the übergeek

The Mackies have a history of overheating and shutting off when used either as floor monitors (no air circulation) or in direct sunlight. If either of those are possible for you, I would avoid them.

I suspect, being in Canada, that you might be able to swing a better deal on the Yorkies but...that is just a guess.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:56 AM

+ 1 for the Yorkvilles!

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 AM

there's a Yorkville dealer in eastern MA called Audio East.

I own 2 Mackie 300's and a Yorkville powered sub. My Mackies have been going strong with heavy use for several years. (I can't say the same for my Mackie mixers). But I'm very impressed by Yorkville and they get nothing but praise from everyone. All things being equal I'd probably take the Yorkville.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM

I've not heard of any overheating Mackies so it may or may not be an infrequent occurrence.

Based solely on the manufacturer's specifications, the Mackie high frequency driver has slightly better dispersion characteristics.

The Yorkville has a built-in mini mixer. The Mackie does not.

Though 4 pounds lighter, the Yorkville is roughly 1.5 inches taller and 1 inch wider but 1.5 inches shallower than the Mackie.

If the built-in controls are useful to you the Yorkville would be the one to get. Otherwise, the better dispersion of the Mackie might make it a better choice though I'd want to confirm that benefit as the two companies may measure dispersion differently. In any case, they are both good units and probably close in performance. I'd be happy with either one.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I've not heard of any overheating Mackies so it may or may not be an infrequent occurrence.
Do a quick search over at http://www.prosoundweb.com/forums/
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 PM
It's later than it was...

I have a pair of the Mackie 450's for mains and a pair of the 350's for monitors. I haven't had any overheating problems in the 3+ years that I've had them. I am happy with the sound quality, but I haven't compared them to any other systems, so I can't really say about the Yorkies. Audiences do comment that the sound is good and clear.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
.tom the übergeek

The 350s do not exhibit the same problem when used as monitors (as the rumors have it).

I love the sound of the Mackies but also love the sound of the Yorkies and even under very hard conditions (95+db outside with 2 and 2 subs) they have been rock solid for 4 years.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM

(Realistically, I may never leave my basement but then what are dreams for?)
This comment applies to me as well.

I recently purchased a Yorkville M1610 (2 x 800 watts) power mixer and a pair of Yorkville Elite EV12 (400 watts passive). My studio is a fair size with high ceilings that lends very well to the natural echo or bounce that this room provides.
I went with the recommendation at Long & McQuade and purchased these only after renting the same for a month – I could have just kept renting different speakers but I was fully satisfied with the EV12’s.
My advice is to rent the ones you are considering – only cost me $95. Including cables and stands for the month (speakers only since I already had the mixer) I can’t be sure about the Mackie SRM450 but the Yorkville NX550p is easily obtainable for rental at Long & McQuade.

Note: My performances to date are limited to open mics and I have not used the equipment that I now own outside of my studio. I just sing and play a variety of acoustic instruments only. A Traynor AM150 acoustic amp will easily handle a bar type situation for vocals as well as the instrument for 200 people. The PA and speaker system will easily handle an outdoor event upwards to 350 people – after that a sound technician really becomes a necessity as does active speakers and separate monitors. Mine is just a simple acoustic guitar setup that has the potential of a professional solution if I ever go that route – yours might be more inclined to electric guitars and effects that I do not foresee personally.

Regards, Jack

Last edited by wedge199; 12-05-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:25 AM

Check out the Carvin LM powered speakers - great features for about half the price of the Mackies.
Cube Street
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Some time ago (years?) my band tried out some of the Mackie SRM450s for use as monitors while gigging and with the intention of using them as practice speakers.

They overheated and shut down half-way through our first set. We stopped to try to figure out what was going on - they cooled down (unknown to us at the time) and came back on. We started playing again and they shut down 1 song later.

We struggled through the evening and took them back - never to return to them again.

After-the-fact I did some research and found out that this model has gotten a reputation for shutting down when driven hard in a monitor configuration.

LOVED THE SOUND - just couldn't count on them in our application.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I bought a used set of Mackie SRM450's last summer and used them on one gig, outdoor on the hottest day of the year. They were set up in driect sunlight all afternoon and ran fine. I ended up trading them back into the store for a brand new pair because the used ones were cosmetically beat, and one of the stand mounts was cracked. I've used the new ones on one gig (indoors) and they worked fine. I've got a gig this Saturday and the Mackies will get some much needed excercise (I guess I will too!).
We mainly run vocal mics and acoustic guitars through the PA. Electric guitars, bass, and keyboards go through combo amps.

Has anyone checked out the new line of active speakers from QSC? I've heard some pro-sound people rave about them. They are a bit more than the Mackies and also a bit heavier (the cabinets are made of wood).

I'm considering buying a set of Mackie SRM350's to use as monitors. I own an old set of Klipsch stage monitors. They are in very heavy road cabs and require a power amp.

I'd rather spend my money on guitars.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 AM

We use a pair of SRM450s with the main band and for the duo. We put 3 voices, 2 brass and the piezo side of my Parker Fly through them. We have not had any issues with them at all and have also noticed that they prduce a good clear sound. I have had no experience of the Yorkvilles as I am not sure they sell them in the UK.

Last edited by Dilbert; 12-05-2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification