The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Me

Default Graduation speech from dad (me) to daughter.

I get to give a short 5 to 10 minute speech at a graduation ceremony for my daughter. She was home schooled. Homeschoolers will often give a graduation party either alone or with other graduates that were part of their homeschooling network. Part of this often involves the parent giving an encouraging speech of reflection, affirmation and encouragement for the future.
This should be done without embarrassing the graduate.
I am working on that speech now. I thought I would ask you fine people what you would say and what you would encourage me to say. This will happen on Saturday.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Wow, that's an important task, for sure. Have you ever heard that song 'Wear Sunscreen'? As amusing as it is, there's some good stuff in it. I think what I would have liked to have heard when I was just graduating is the importance of doing something that you love. Have you heard that old proverb, 'do what you love and you will never work a day in your life'? I think the message behind that is really important. They've likely spent the last few years griping about having to learn this, that, and the other thing, none of which they felt was important for their future paths. Remember when we had to learn trigonometry/algebra/etc and would ask our parents 'why do I need to learn this? Now, they get to start making their own choices. How exciting!

"Those of you who think you know everything, annoy those of us who really do."

1992 Seagull S6 Cedar - "Jonathan"
2004 Gibson Southern Jumbo - "Magic"
2007 Epiphone EL-00 - "Elmo"
2005 Gibson J-185 - "Lily"

Last edited by Gilliangirl; 06-05-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Me

Karen,
Some good thoughts there. I read through the lyrics to that sunscreen song. That was good.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Steve,

It would seem fitting to speak of the pride you feel for her accomplishments, the wonder of having such a beautiful and talented daughter, and the hope you have for her future....don't forget to mention that she's always welcome at your hearth.

Yep, been there (homeschool), didn't get to do that (working a proposal at the time my daughter graduated [HS and community college in the same week], barely made it thru the HS ceremony at the local church)....anywho, that's what I woulda said.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM

For my daughters' college graduation, I focused on the milestones in life, and this is an important one. Also, though they may feel that schooling is over (college grad) learning in life never ends. School teaches you how to learn so that you're prepared for the rest of your life to face new challenges and learn what you need to meet them. Stop learning and you atrpohy.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 PM

When it was time for my oldest daughter to graduate, I wanted to write her a song...and I started writing down all the things I wanted to tell her. Then, after looking at that list for a while, I realized that all the things I wanted to tell her were probaby not the things she needed to hear, just the things I wanted to say.

After that, the song came out this way:

Spread Your Wings

It's hard to believe that this day has come
Time has flown by so fast
But there you go with your cap and gown
Proof that eighteen years have passed
All those lessons I wanted to teach
And now there's only time for one final speech--
I want you to

Spread your wings and fly
Hear your dreams calling
Point your heart up to the sky
Keep that light in your eyes
Hear your dreams calling
It's time to spread your wings and fly

I know you've got everything it takes
I know your gonna be OK
But there are falls you have yet to face
There'll be scars along the way
You are strong, and with that courage inside
I know your gonna take everything in stride
And you will

Hear your dreams calling
Hear your dreams calling

(br)
Sometimes the journey will be frightening
Sometimes you'll only see the clouds
But up above the sun is shining
And it's the heights where you are bound

It's not easy to watch you leave
I've already shed some tears
I'm so proud you were my little girl
And how you've grown up through the years
All those lessons I tried hard to teach
Now there's only time for one final speech
I want you to

Hear your dreams calling
Hear your dreams calling

Don't worry about falling
I'll still catch you if you try
Keep that light in your eye
Hear your dreams calling
It's time to spread your wings and fly.

(c) 1998 Tattoo Angel Music, Michael Bowers

Good luck, and my best to you and your girl--and the whole family!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 PM

You could talk about how during the home school process it was not only a privilege to be involved with the emergence of such a lovely young lady, but also about how you learned from her and are so much the better person for it. I'm sure there are lots of examples. Mix sentiment with humor. That's what I would try to say.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Hi Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I get to give a short 5 to 10 minute speech at a graduation ceremony for my daughter. She was home schooled. Homeschoolers will often give a graduation party either alone or with other graduates that were part of their homeschooling network. Part of this often involves the parent giving an encouraging speech of reflection, affirmation and encouragement for the future.
This should be done without embarrassing the graduate.
I am working on that speech now. I thought I would ask you fine people what you would say and what you would encourage me to say. This will happen on Saturday.
Judging from the post's of yours as well as some replies i have read from you, I dont think you will have alot of difficulty saying whats in your heart, your hopes and wishes for your daughter.I find it to be kind of an interesting question from you, and since i have a daughter of my own, although she's 3 on June 21st, i can and want to try and relate to what you might be experiencing. Alot of emotions, Im sure. I decided that i would answer w/out reading anyone else's suggestions.

Here's my thoughts, i would have to reflect on all the memories that now are just pictures gone by in my mind that i would want to hold close and keep fresh, realizing how fast they went, and are going by(for me). I'd remind myself & Daughter how short and precious our lives are how lucky we are to have and to have had loved ones to share with. Good memories are often earned, they are wealth that cant be recovered. Relationships must be nurtured. Memories can equal a fortune of a lifetime or the debt and regret of one's lifetime. Make her aware that these ARE the good ol days and live em in fashion that she wont have to regret. that cant be overstated, imho.Im sure yours are likely a fortune, you took the time and cared enough to take so much responsibility. Your lucky and so is she. Tell her thank you and that YOU LOVE HER and ALWAYS WILL, tell her how proud your are of her, tell her 50 times! I mean it.

Affirmation, affirm that the work is only beginning and that if it were a 100 yard dash she is at about the 10yard mark. Long way to go, short time to get it right. The world doesn't care about fairness or her self esteem, but that doesnt mean she cant. Tell her to NEVER LET THEM SEE HER SWEAT! EVER! The only opinion that matters at the end of the day is hers, EXPLAIN THAT TO HER, from a dads point of view. Definately tell her boys lie like crazy and they are typically about 10 years behind in terms of maturity at her age. Tell her she should have Have fun, but be careful with her mind. So be aware of the minefields of life. A dad can explain that one.

As for encouragement, encourage her that the only thing that she cant accomplish is the thing she believes SHE cant! Do not let energy vampires plant seeds of doubt and always be careful of seemingly well meaning bullsh##ers who are predators in disguise. Encourage her to be aware of disapointment and realize that God is always there and so will disapointment be. What goes down, must come up if she doesnt give up! Things can always work out! Be bold, take life's obligations as they come and in a hurricane of life become swiss cheese and roll w/ it... do not become stagnate like a plywood wall against hurricane winds of life. Get it while the gettin's good and always be on the lookout for the opportunity to put yourself in a position of choice and favor!
WORK HARD AND SPEND AT LEAST SLIGHTLY LESS THAN YOU EARN!!! Money, if nothing else, can at least provide a certain form of security, being able to write checks that cash affords some comfort at home. And tell her even when she 50 years old if your still here you are going to be watching over her whether she likes it or not! She will... That would be encouraging to me......i would think. Tell her just exactly how much you love being her dad, and then ask her whats next.......for us!

Take care and thanks for sharing

Sammy
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti814ce View Post
..... I don't think you will have a lot of difficulty saying whats in your heart, your hopes and wishes for your daughter. I find it to be kind of an interesting question from you, and since i have a daughter of my own.........
Sammy,
Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. I hoped it would be and interesting question for some. To be honest, the hidden purpose was the get people to think about what they might say. I hope that it would encourage good people like you to be better parents and to spend more time with their kids. I believe we can all do more to better. Trust me, you say she's only three. You'll be watching her graduate way too soon. Use the little time you have wisely.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Sammy,
Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. I hoped it would be and interesting question for some. To be honest, the hidden purpose was the get people to think about what they might say. I hope that it would encourage good people like you to be better parents and to spend more time with their kids. I believe we can all do more to better. Trust me, you say she's only three. You'll be watching her graduate way too soon. Use the little time you have wisely.
That is exactly what i believe! Kinda sad, at the same time i dont want to waste time worrying. I really try to live the moments as if im going to watch a replay and i want to enjoy the show (memories)

Thanks SteveS!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Me

I gave the speech yesterday. I was kinda of scared. I don't mind playing guitar in front of a few thousand people, but speaking in front of 75 of our best friends and family was a bit scary. I didn't have much time to prepare with the 2 surgeries late last month, but it seemed well received. I had many people ask to give them a copy. Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Gilliangirl - I did use the sunscreen thing. Thanks, it made for a nice laugh in the middle of my talk.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 PM

Default 7 Years Later

If your offer is still available, I'd appreciate a copy of your toast/speech at your daughters graduation.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 PM

In addition to lots of good stuff already mentioned, I'd also encourage kids today to approach life with the desire and willingness to work hard for whatever they want and to take responsibility for themselves and do everything they can to not be dependent on anyone else -- individuals, governments, etc. That's true freedom.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic