The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiva238 View Post
All good reasons I think.
I agree. Good points.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post

Once again, I don't see why it's so hard to bump your thread if it falls off page 1.
I never said it was hard, but it's the FREQUENCY at which that is happening now that this place has grown so large that is causing the problem.

Again - SIMPLE suggestion to make things better.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
My main classifieds complaint:

Most people don't seem to realize that each poster in the FS area can "delete" their own posts. A thread that has the OP showing 37 "bump" posts is quite goofy. Delete your last bump-post and add another. Pages of bumps are *not* necessary.

For the record, I agree that bumping a thread when the item is sold is also rather goofy. The OP should just edit the first and last post of the thread to show "sold" in large letters and be done with it...
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize you could do that.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I will occasionally ask a seller if a guitar is still available but I'll do that via e-mail or PM. No point posting to the classifieds as it'll probably never be seen anyway? When I sell a guitar I delete the post.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm with you, Todd. Any forum seller should appreciate the publicity that being on the front page of the classifieds affords. I'm not a gratuitous "bumper," typically doing it only after something is changed regarding sale details, in response to a question that might benefit others, or if it's been a few days. I appreciate the service that JR and the AGF provides in this space, and also want to be thoughtful of my fellow forum members who also happen to be selling.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
I hate to be contrary to most of the posts but I think I agree with this. I like to know it sold.

Are you requesting an edit instead of a post?

I do see that it requires other sellers to post again to be above such posts but for the successful seller the sale is perhaps as big an event personally as a NGD to the next guy. So, I don't begrudge a post (especially to a charter member) for that.
Me too....some of us like celebrating the sale,....it's all we have left.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Default respect

I totally agree with 'fitness'. IMO when sold items are bumped, it shows disrespect for others. It says "Look at me, I sold something".
Just take your money and run. NO ONE CARES!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Todd is on target here folks

The issue is this. By forum rules you can only "bump" your classified once every 24 hours.

If a couple folks "bump" up the their listing with a SOLD notice, it drops guitars that are still for sale further down the list-and that list travels fast here(which is a good thing-lots to choose from and some really excellent prices out there).

I'm locking the thread, nothing more needs to be added or discussed, a lot of good info is contained in this thread.

The moderator group has discussed this issue, along with 10,987 other daily things that happen and we still think our system is pretty good. Some forums do not have a "bump" system. You list it, then it travels until its sold or lost way back in the depths.
This is a really well thought out forum with a lot of latitude given to the users, even if it doesn't seem that way to folks at times.

So as Todd suggests(and Larry P-good reply and addition), go in your listing, edit it to say SOLD in the title(go to edit and then advanced to get the title), and mark it SOLD in the content of the listing. But please don't bump it up by doing a reply that it is sold.

thanks
d
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion