The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyquilt View Post
Glad I could help!

If I had only tried them on my all-mahogany guitar, I would have said nearly the same thing, except I would have also said they were such a high tension as to be almost unplayable. (The guitar in question has a 25.5" scale length.)

I think the Reds have a really interesting and useful sound, but they're distinctive, which is a double-edged sword. And they certainly don't work in all guitars.

I'm not trying to poo poo your opinion -- at all -- just noting that because one doesn't like a particular string only means they aren't worth a given price to you.
I didn't notice any difference in tension, in fact the wound strings have a softer feel to me....that could be due to increased copper in the alloy, with copper being softer than zinc or tin.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Finally!!!! I found the perfect string (for me). I tried a set of Red brand copper bronze acoustic 12-53's and I absolutely LOVE them. I'll try to give an informed review.
I am a singer/songwriter, not a soloist. I want a clear warm sound to accompany my vocals. I fingerpick and strum with my fingers. I have a 00 Northwood 12 fret. Although my guitar is rosewood, I probably would prefer it was mahogany and so I have been trying to decrease the sparkly overtones and retain the volume.
The Reds are the most precise, clear, warm (and loud) string I have ever heard on this guitar. Also, when I strum the Reds I can hear every note and they don't overlap each other, that is, I can clearly hear each string.
I'll report back on how long they last, and I have tried to explain what I like so no one will have to spend the $ to try them.
I'm freakin' out...can you tell?
Do you like a warm or bright sound?

Guitars
2008 Fender Sonoran S
2007 Taylor Big Baby(With LR Baggs Element System)
1971 Lyle W-400

Amps
2008 Fender Vibro Champ XD
Old 03-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I like a warmer sound, but clear and not dark. Kind of like a piano. Does that make sense?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Talking

Quote:
I like a warmer sound, but clear and not dark. Kind of like a piano. Does that make sense?
Yeah! That is exactly what I am looking for!!!! I'll check them out!

Guitars
2008 Fender Sonoran S
1971 Lyle W-400

Amps
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up The Best Strings I've Ever Played!!!!!!!!!

Dang!!!!!!!!! I have had these Medium Red's on for about 3 months now, and they aren't even losing their tone!!!! BEST STRINGS I'VE EVER PLAYED!!!!!!!

If you live in the Houston, Texas area, go check out Great Southern Music and tell Kevin Perry that Alex Wilcox sent you. Below is a link to see the location:

http://gsmmusic.com/default.aspx?name=map

Guitars
2008 Fender Sonoran S
1971 Lyle W-400

Amps
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 PM

There are two competing Red Brand threads going on here which is usually not good for the best communication........

Perhaps we might want to defer to ONE thread????
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM

I put a set on my Walnut/Lutz Metcalf Dread, great tone, no volume. It's good for playing at night to not disturb my wife; but, will not work playing out.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Default red brand

Tried these (.53's) on my Taylor 414ce:

- stiff (HIGHER TENSION)
- lower volume
- consistent, even tone
- less bass, more mid-tones, softer trebles

In general, I did not like these strings BUT they definitely evened out the amplified sound of my ES system. (no "hot b" problems)
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I am a singer/songwriter, not a soloist. I want a clear warm sound to accompany my vocals. I fingerpick and strum with my fingers...
Hmmmm... interesting, this is exactly who I am: singer/ songwriter fingerpicking and strumming with my fingers. I am going to give them a chance. They are not THAT expensive, if found them for $11.95 shipped...
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default I just bought some

Thank, Bluewyatt -

I just bought some Reds and plan on putting them on two of my guitars soon. A spruce/cocobolo and a cedar/EIR. I hope I experience similar results as you describe since I am looking for a similar quality in tone.

I'll post my review after I have tried them out for a bit.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

I bought 6 sets, they are great in the studio for about 6 hours, then they die and they die hard. My experience, I won't use them again, they tarnish and die way to fast for the money...live and learn.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Tryin' to figure it out

I too posted a thread a while back about these strings, along with a sample recording. They sound good, but didn't last that long for me, especially for the price.

Actually, they reminded me a LOT of the new D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Default more playing time

I now have about 14 hours on these and have grown to dislike them more. This is odd because I think most strings have more similarities than differences.

- stiff with less feel than D'Addarios
- less volume
- moderate to high finger noise
- tone does not last very long
- the only positive is the eveness of the output across all strings

These are not a good match for a Taylor 414ce.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 AM

I tried them on my D18A and 000-28EC when they first came out. I thought that they took too much out of my tone. Overall I just found them to be rather dull and nothing to be excited about..certainly not at that price. I wanted to like them, because they looked interesting.

They also went dead in about a week, and I typically get 3+ weeks out of a set of Martin PB SPs.

"Not only did they sound bad, but they didn't last long!"
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM

I tried some. Tone is subjective, and it probably really depends on the guitar you put them on too.

They really bring out a strong fundemental, with alot of bass..............
or, they suck the treble, and overtones right out of a guitar.
That's my way of trying to say the same thing from different perspectives.

Different ears want to hear different things. The didn't feel any different to me than uncoated D'addarios but I've got strong hands and killer callouses.

For me, if a guitar is too bright, or even jangly Reds might be the answer.
For me, if a guitar has no trebles, or is too muddy, Elixirs might be the answer. The old kind, not PB's

For me, I like my guitars. D'addarios are the answer.....maybe Elixir PB's for longer string life, but I personally don't like the feel of them. Edit/added. I don't mean to imply that D'addarios are the best or only strings, or guitars that don't sound good with D'addarios are bad guitars. My ears find D'addario (PB's) right in the middle of the tonal spectrum of all the strings I've tried.

Last edited by Brackett Instruments; 10-10-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling, but there's probably still some words spelled wrong ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion