The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Is this an example of "selling out"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I'm just glad that the Cash family prevented "Ring of Fire" being used in an ad for haemorrhoid cream.
I doubt Brian Wilson is getting his Jockeys in a knot over the use of "409" to sell bathroom cleaner - and I personally think the Surfaris' "Wipeout" would've made a far better Cottonelle promo than that posh Brit telling the world how clean her bum feels...
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
Now the question is, do you sell the use of one of your most beloved songs to a lying, thieving, scandal-ridden corporation who uses that song to scrub it's rightfully defiled image?
How much are they gonna pay me? For those who climb up on their high horses to criticize, it might be useful to remember that my intellectual property is MY PROPERTY to do with as I please.

And that "Ring of Fire" post cracked me up!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
For this example, imagine, if you will, that you are a beloved songwriter with legions of fans. You've written iconic songs that have touched millions. You are so successful that your financial security is assured many times over. You own all the rights to your songs. Now the question is, do you sell the use of one of your most beloved songs to a lying, thieving, scandal-ridden corporation who uses that song to scrub it's rightfully defiled image?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
No, you offer the same song gratis to a non-profit in whose mission you strongly believe...
Absolutely not. The songwriter should let the corporation use the song for free in any way they see fit. Corporations labor tirelessly to generate profit for their shareholders and executives, and it is incumbent upon everyone to do everything in their power to make certain that the paragons of our free market are never hindered in any way, and certainly it is of paramount importance that corporations never face any of the potential negative repercussions of their actions.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
It is the artist's work, not ours, they can do as they please, however I believe Neil has the best response....

Yep...old school here...
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Absolutely not. The songwriter should let the corporation use the song for free in any way they see fit. Corporations labor tirelessly to generate profit for their shareholders and executives, and it is incumbent upon everyone to do everything in their power to make certain that the paragons of our free market are never hindered in any way, and certainly it is of paramount importance that corporations never face any of the potential negative repercussions of their actions.
I see you drank the kool aid. You have a great future ahead of you. Please purchase a black suit and sit in your cubical like the rest of the zombies ... er excuse me, employees that we treasure.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I see you drank the kool aid. You have a great future ahead of you. Please purchase a black suit and sit in your cubical like the rest of the zombies ... er excuse me, employees that we treasure.
Sarcasm on internet forums is awesome.

Allow me to elaborate, I don't want my post to come across as snippy, especially to someone I think I agree with. I was being entirely sarcastic with my first post. I think that the example the OP posited is the textbook definition of "selling out." But the thing is, credibility is a commodity, just like everything else, and if an artist wishes to "sell" their credibility to a corporation, they are (and should be) free to do so. We, as consumers, and as citizens with free speech, are free to accept or reject the attempt as we see fit.

Last edited by posternutbag; 06-24-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Sarcasm on internet forums is awesome.
And yet sometimes difficult to identify....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 AM

I wish I was in a position to "sell out."
Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Now the question is, do you sell the use of one of your most beloved songs to a lying, thieving, scandal-ridden corporation who uses that song to scrub it's rightfully defiled image?
Oh, you betcha! Any six days of the week and twice on Sundays. Why do you ask?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
For this example, imagine, if you will, that you are a beloved songwriter with legions of fans. You've written iconic songs that have touched millions. You are so successful that your financial security is assured many times over. You own all the rights to your songs. Now the question is, do you sell the use of one of your most beloved songs to a lying, thieving, scandal-ridden corporation who uses that song to scrub it's rightfully defiled image?
Yes, that is an example of selling out.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
If after due diligence I found that the corporation's intentions were honorable and it was on a mission to restructure itself for the better, yes I would.
Glad to help and thanks for the check

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 AM

What exactly would that artist be selling out on? A stated promise to his or her fans? I bet there are few such public promises ever made. More likely it's in someone's own head about what an artist "owes" to the general public to qualify as selling out.

Musicians, like anyone else, do a whole range of things for their own benefit. Some of those actions won't align perfectly with the audience's imagining of who said person is.

I'm always on the side of being supportive of artists living a life that is satisfying so they can stay productive without also being self- or other-destructive. This sets a very high bar for me in terms of what I wish they should not do. They get to choose their lives, mostly.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Although it takes a great deal of imagination to put myself in that situation, my answer is: no, I would not.

If your question is meant to mean "Would I condemn some other artist when I think they've done exactly this?" Then my answer is, I'm not sure I'd bother. Frankly, I don't keep enough info on hand to know artists financial status or the vagaries of rights-holding.

But let's take another follow up on your original premise, and I ask this of the OP: Since your financial security is "assured many times over" would you charge anything for the rights to your music or for attendance at your concerts?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
What exactly would that artist be selling out on? .....
I'm always on the side of being supportive of artists living a life that is satisfying so they can stay productive without also being self- or other-destructive. This sets a very high bar for me in terms of what I wish they should not do. They get to choose their lives, mostly.
Nice perspective on the OP, chicfarmer.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM

I don't know if the OP is referencing the VW commercials using Simon & Garfunkel's "America", but in answering the question, yes that would be selling out.

As for the VW commercials, they are quite good in my opinion. Especially the first one with the Grandmother with the heavy German accent saying her late husband always wanted to travel and see this great country. Then there is a montage of the family travelling in their VW SUV to different parts of the country sprinkling Grandpa's ashes with the gorgeous tune "America" playing in the background.

Makes you almost forget VW intentionally sold a boatload of vehicles that were intentionally capable of beating emission tests.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic