The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
That would have been cool. Was Mr Denver nice? I guess in TE's case, he plays 300 + shows every year. And he has a lot of people wanting that few minutes with him, their idol. He used to meet everyone that wanted to after his shows, but in his own words, it was getting too much and too tiring. So he has the official ones now where they know the numbers of people coming and he does it before soundcheck. That way when he finishes on stage he's out of there.
He was very kind and he got to chat with everyone. There was about 30 of us. But after about an hour he did say to one of his friends "time to get me out of here!" I can imagine he was tired.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Guest4562

Mine are currently free.

Subject to change when I hit the Big Time.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
When I saw TE last winter, after the show he came outside and was meeting the folks and chatting and signing whatever people wanted.

My understanding is that he donates all the money from his pre show meet and greets to charity.
That's great. I can't imagine TE ever being anything but generous with his fans. I went to a show last year and paid to attendthe meet and greet. I introduced myself shook his hand and thanked him for his music. I didn't want an autograph. I was just happy to thank him. I've read similar things about the donations he makes, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Everytime I write and sign a check I'm paying someone for my autograph. I must have this backwards.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Would I pay 250 bucks for an autograph or a meet and greet? Heck no.

Is it better to give to charity? Sure.

Still, whether someone donates the meet and greet income to charity or not is irrelevant. An artist/musician/actor should get paid. It is their professional product (in one form or another) we are paying for, and they have every right to charge for it.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I grew up in Beverly Hills, California, surrounded by movie stars. Our neighbors were Kim Novak, Johnny Weismuller, Sal Mineo, and most of my friends parents were writers, directors, producers, and professional musicians/entertainers.
One afternoon, mom takes me to lunch and spots Rory Calhoun sitting with Elizabeth Taylor, hands me a napkin and a pen and says: "Go ask for their autographs". And as a 9 year old, I asked my mom: "Why would I care for their name on a piece of paper?" Still feel the same way almost 60 years later.
I agree I lived in Hollywood and Santa Monica for 35 years and on once in 1981 did I ask for a autograph. I was standing with Prince,Little Steven and
Bruce Springstein and I asked then to sign my biz card.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I don't think of it as greedy.

I think authors signing their books is publicity for them to sell more books.

If stars give them away at an event, the event should pay them for their time, which essentially means they are being paid for their autographs.

I think these people live off their celebrity and they make money because people want to be fans. So, selling autographs is just another way to make money. I don't begrudge that of them.

That said, I do not value autographs and would never pay for one.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I don't think of it as greedy.

I think authors signing their books is publicity for them to sell more books.

If stars give them away at an event, the event should pay them for their time, which essentially means they are being paid for their autographs.

I think these people live off their celebrity and they make money because people want to be fans. So, selling autographs is just another way to make money. I don't begrudge that of them.

That said, I do not value autographs and would never pay for one.
I don't know...these people are stars precisely because the people that are at these conventions are already supporting them and paying their salaries.

If they are worried their autographs will be sold, then sign away and flood the market. sign a zillion and no one will buy one on the secondary market.

I think it's pretty craven.

I saw an interview with Sir Anthony Hopkins, and he was asked if he minded signing autographs and taking selfies with fans. He said " of course not, these people pay my salary."
Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I don't know...these people are stars precisely because the people that are at these conventions are already supporting them and paying their salaries.

If they are worried their autographs will be sold, then sign away and flood the market. sign a zillion and no one will buy one on the secondary market.

I think it's pretty craven.

I saw an interview with Sir Anthony Hopkins, and he was asked if he minded signing autographs and taking selfies with fans. He said " of course not, these people pay my salary."
When John Denver was alive he hated signing autographs because he felt it was too impersonal. Said he would rather shake someone's hand. He didn't mind having his picture taken with fans.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 PM

I wouldn't pay for anyone's autograph.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 AM

I never did "get" the collecting of autographs, but, I would liken it to, say philately, or collecting of guitars. I have met a few "famous" people in my life and most of them are good people who are genuinely interested in their fans. I do not see a problem with them charging for their time/autographs/photos any more than I begrudge a plumber charging for his time to clear my blocked drains.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I have a funny autograph story.

Several years back, I was playing at a pseudo-swanky bar near the hometown of Charles Barkley (retired basketball player). We had just finished sound check when in walked the man himself along with all of his posse.

Ten minutes before we go on the bar owner walks up and hands us our pay for the night plus some extra and says, "Charles wants to hear rap. I'm going to play rap for him with the house equipment. You guys are finished for the night."

Needless to say, we were all peeved till we found out our drinks were still going to being comped.

Anyways, after more than several drinks, we all decided to ask for his autograph. He was really nice (didn't charge us a dime). Our bass player was last in the autograph line. The bassist reached down, scribbled his name on a napkin, patted Charles on the back, and said, "you hold on to that now."

He walked off laughing.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Take a look on ebay and see what celeb autographs are getting. There are people showing up at concerts and events carrying bags full of things for autographs. By charging (sometimes exorbitant) prices for an autograph, it is effectively putting the ebayers out of business.
I wouldn't pay for a meet-and-greet/autograph either, but just a month ago my brother gave me a birthday gift of a m+g with Todd Rundgren - money went to some charity thing. It was 10 minutes in a room with Todd and is wife and a half dozen others. Got a picture with him, didn't ask for an autograph (I've already got a few - not for sale!)
A little later, outside the venue I saw two guys (one of whom I'd seen at the concert), each with a stack of Todd/Utopia albums they were hoping to get autographed - you can be sure they weren't planning on keeping them all.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM

If a person can make money by selling their name scribbled on a piece of paper, more power to them. I'd do the same thing if I could.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM

I was lucky as a gift from Bob Dylan to get a signed poster from him of Renoldo and Clara.

It hangs over my stereo in a place of honor.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic