The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2002, 06:37 PM

Default If you want to sell me

It just occured to me we have about 50 centuries of expertise on this forum. Lets make a list of "hints" for salesman who sell Taylors, when we are done I will compile it and send it to Taylor, maybe they can send it out to their vendors.
For instance: Don't make me sit in a room full of people playing amplified when I am trying to judge the sound of a guitar, put them with the headbangers in the Marshall room. I can think of about a hundred more (humidity/dead strings/no place to SIT/trying to pass off non-Taylor cases to the first time buyer-OK, now I'm getting mad)but let's get behind this, we are probably the most fanatic Taylor fiends in the universe, lets have a WORD with the people we have to buy from.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:56 PM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )
Thumbs up

I'm lucky to have a FRIENDLY Taylor dealer close to me. Don't always have the high end, but I feel comfortable going in the shop. the BIGGEST tip for me is. * Don't be a shoe salesman and hover over me. Give me time to look arround and play a few, then ask if you can help me. * Chairs are good. * Don't make your high end guitars so unaccessable. If I can't play it, I won't BUY it. (I do understand some protection IS neccessary) * Humidity control and protected from sun. *Offer to play it for me to hear it sing from the other side of the sound hole. Play a song that shows the guitar's strength not just one to impress me on your ability.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:37 PM

I really don't have to ask, as I have one, possibly two Taylor dealers who have all the goods, so to speak. They provide a quiet atmosphere (no music playing except occasionally to demo a record or tape) and quiet rooms off the main one for full-on testing. They're knowledgable enough to make suggestions based on what you tell them you're looking for (or what they know about you if you're a regular), but they don't hover. Sales is a genial process for them, with no pressure to buy anything, much less the most expensive thing. They also have a complete repair facility, they do a full setup with new strings when you buy a new guitar, and they follow up with more tweaks for no extra charge. I can get better prices elsewhere, but the service is unbeatable.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:40 PM

...in addition to the suggestions I've already seen...

- Let me try the guitars in private
- Let me play any guitar I want
- Be honest (within reason) and straightforward
- Have a reasonable selection (just visited a Taylor dealer with two Babys and a 414)
- Remember my name
- Take the high road, don't slag off your competitors or guitars you don't have

-=Tim=-

Last edited by TimB; 06-05-2002 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:58 PM

Default Taylor Dealers

Reading all the suggestions re: what a good Taylor dealership should offer, and ideas about sales staff knowledge makes me realize what a great Taylor dealer we have here in Ottawa, Canada.

Lauzon Music offers private sound-proof demo rooms downstairs from the main showroom, so that you can try out Taylors, Martins, Normans, G&L's and Gibsons in a quiet private setting.

The store is always properly humidified as well....and the staff knowledge is second to none!

Ok....the owner is a buddy....but that's not the point...haha! His store is FIRST CLASS!

He has certainly managed to pry a few dollars out of my wallet on purchases of a Taylor, G&L, Peavey Ecoustic, (2) Normans.....but the truth is....I pick up a guitar, and go into one of the demo rooms.

In the right atmosphere a good guitar will sell itself! This store does it right!
Old 06-05-2002, 09:38 PM

Angry

I don't know if this is an authorized dealer, it's called Long and McQuade or something. They only had a W14 and another taylor the last time I went in, so they are not at all that great. I went in for books, all I got was attitude, I went and asked if they had Absolute Fretboard (software), all I got was attitude. Hello? I came here to drop cash on the desk? Oh yeah, sure, I'll go back to the store to see the scoop on new products, but I sure the hell is not gonna buy anything from them, not a pick.

All of my friends, and local dealers basically said the same thing about stuff they don't have in stock, "you can look at L&M they probably have it, but not many ppl like them" they are infamous for being a$$holes. I haven't been playing long, but being through practically every store in vancouver big and small. I think this has got to be the worse store in the city, if not the friken country.

Although I understand there is no way to avoid salesppl like this, I really think they don't deserve to to sell anything taylor, or anything highend, or anything at all for that matter.

Yeah it's a little off topic, sorry, couldn't help it. i just don't like the stare downs, especially when I am the customer, one that actually buys expensive stuff once in a while too.

Anyway, that felt alot better, sorry y'all had to see this, but I just ahhhhhh, can't stand these people.

P.S. There is a trashy looking guy in there I call the "WHAT? guy" Since he obviously didn't know anything. Every possible purchase in the past for me has been turned away with a "what?" "what are you talking about?" "what's that?" "what's anything that's not made by Gibson or Fender"
Old 06-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Great answers already, but let me add one thing that should be obvious, but must not be to some dealers:

Be honest with me about the actual price I will be required to pay if I want this particular guitar, today, complete with the case in which it came from Taylor.

I'm not overly impressed with how much I'm "saving" or how much less expensive it would have been if I'd bought it during their Memorial Day Super Blowout Special.

cotten

Maybe we should start a Taylor Dealer Hall of Fame. I'll pass on the Hall of Shame, but some might find that helpful as well.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:24 AM

Angry Another what "not" to be....

So I go into my one and only local Taylor dealer, who the owner of keep in mind I know owns another store 100 miles away, and ask to see the 314 hanging on the wall. He hands it to me...I pluck it, caress it...inspect it, and ask, "So what’s the best you can do on the price of this?" I also on inform him I have cash in hand and I am ready to buy. He fidgets with his calculator, quotes me his price. He spouts off about how "much these are already marked down" and other assorted bull$@!*. I was born at night but not last night. I’m from Houston, where within a 25 mile radius you can be in 40 different major musical instrument retailers, one of which recently quoted me a price 100's less that this guys feeble attempt at salesmanship. But wait...it gets better. So I go home and call his other store 100 miles away. One of his salesman on staff there answer. I inquire about the exact same model. He has one in stock so I ask him to conjure up his best price because I am willing to come in and make a purchase. Low and behold this guy quotes me a price $110 LESS than the owner just quoted me not 15 minutes ago for the exact same guitar. So tomorrow I’m going to go back in and ask the owner to have them ship down to me, at their expense, the same guitar that is sitting in the shop here. Hopefully he will ask me why don’t I just buy then one that’s sitting right there. At that point Ill say, "Well your manager, named XXXXX at your other store has quoted me a much better deal; therefore I would like that guitar instead." This brings me to the moral of the story...long I know.
~Never under estimate the following in the customer you are serving-

A) The will of a committed Taylor fan to seek out a price better that what your trying to bull$^!* them at, at the time.

B) Never under estimate the competition. I will use my cell phone right in front of you to call your competition to get a better quote on a guitar I know your competition has in stock, while I’m sitting in your sound room playing the guitar I just found cheaper somewhere else

C) If your going to sell something...at least know something about it. Theres nothing worse that when the customer knows more about the product line than the "sales person." If you dont know...say you dont know. Nothing more anoyoing that to hear some sales rep talk MUCH smack about a product line as easy to get to know as Taylor, heck the catalog is right there where you work...pick it up read it you might learn something.

That's my sales advice.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:13 AM

It seems like a pretty easy thing to suggest.......

Don't shop at GC or Mars. The only places I've ever had problems with too much noise from the electrics to hear an acoustic is at those stores. Plus, the sales staff is usually not very knowledgable about acoustics. They are generally very up to speed on electrics and amps, but on the acoustic side it doesn't appear like training is a big concern.

David
Old 06-06-2002, 08:05 AM

Sales people shouldn't look at me like I'm from another planet when the negotiating begins.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:02 PM

Virtuoso sorry you had a bad experience at Long & Mcquaid Vancouver. It's probably unfair to judge them all by the 1 store however. They are a national Canadian chain and as such they seem to differ by location. The stores in Alberta are pretty good especially the one in Calgary. I've purchased a number of things from them over the decades includung a Baby. Larry is especially helpful & knowledgeable. They usually carry a large stock of many brands.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:30 PM

Take off the signs that say: "Don't play the Taylors and Martins unless you ask us first - We mean it!"

Seems contradictory to the "Pick me up" tag....

Follow-up after the sale is important too. I won't go into the details, but getting a gold-plated strap pin installed on the heel of my guitar neck became an exercise in futility. They got my $1,700 and a customer who will never set foot in the store again (and negative word of mouth to boot).

Of course, I did end up with the world's greatest guitar........
Old 06-06-2002, 03:41 PM

jbermes, if you purchased an 810-wmb for $1700 you really shouldn't complain. That seems like a very good deal. E-mail me and I'll let you know what I shelled out for an 810 ce. As for sales people just let me play the guitars (most do). Just keep your eyes on the kids with the expensive guitars.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by canuck boy
Virtuoso sorry you had a bad experience at Long & Mcquaid Vancouver. It's probably unfair to judge them all by the 1 store however. They are a national Canadian chain and as such they seem to differ by location. The stores in Alberta are pretty good especially the one in Calgary. I've purchased a number of things from them over the decades includung a Baby. Larry is especially helpful & knowledgeable. They usually carry a large stock of many brands.
Yeah okay, sorry I should be more specific, the one on graville street. I went to another one further from my place on hastings, and everyone was really nice.

Still I really like the tom lee's here, they are very good, always.

Last edited by virtuoso; 06-06-2002 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:24 PM

"Don't play the Taylors and Martins unless you ask us first - We mean it!"

~does a music shop really have a sign that says this?
So much for the "PIck me Up" tags. Sheesh.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion