The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM

Typically, a GC size is all about fingerstyle but I'd take a 714 (cedar/rosewood). It has a great warm tone to it and you can FS on it as well as strum.

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM

I like the GAs.

My favorite for fingerstyle is the 424ce SL all koa

2nd would be a 414ce with ovangkol/spruce

3rd is a 714 Ltd with rosewood/engleman, which seemed to be the most responsive guitar I'd ever played.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass
Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 PM

Default 714

The 714 model is getting a load of votes. I used to have one. They're great. Mine just got a little to "warm" sounding for me. I had to work to hard to get melody notes to jump out, and bass notes to tone down.

Yet I've played 714s that are a little "brighter".

My Koa may have been to "bright" for some people at first, but as most every guitar does, it has warmed up nicely.

A good guideline is.... listen to your ears and what strikes you. Then maybe think if you'd still like the guitar if it was "warmer" which it will likely become as it ages.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 AM

In my opinion the best Taylor you can get for fingerstyle is the "cheapest" Taylor that satisfies your needs or desires, may this be a 1XX or a PS. You can play fingerstyle on all of them.

Personally I wouldn´t buy a Taylor from a series higher/other than the 3XX CE, because they offer all I need, be it at home, during rehearsal or on stage.

Regarding to the body I prefer for fingerstyle, I keep it as Herb Hunter. For fingerstyle I choose the Grand Auditorium.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Default GS7 Cedar/Rosewood

I have GS7 and I rate it absolutely 10. What a sound and playability. Never heard, never had so playability guitar. What can I say, this is the GUITAR for me and I will not never give it away, I thought.

My other steel string guitar Taylor 855 is wonderfull 12 string guitar. The best guitar I ever played. I can be fingerpicked also and it shines strumming and pickin' with plectrum.

So, I'm very satisfied these Taylors, the best guitars what I've ever had. Until to end of my time!

And even my friend have a Taylor 712 and even it's a awesome guitar.

So Taylor is the best fingerstyle guitar! I recommend Taylor GS7, that's superb guitar for any kind of playing. Versatile guitar and suit very well to fingerpickin'.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Redwood/ Rosewood GA for me
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Whippersnapper

Either one of the new x12 spring limiteds are excellent for the fingers, especially the 712. Also, the 716 is a great guitar for diverse fingerstyle playing requiring both powerful and delicate sounds. I recently played a short-scale 512 that was pretty cool. Pretty much anything in the GC size should do you good, and a few of the GS-sized models will respond well to the touch as well.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Default And for me...

I like the grand concert series (I better as I have invested some money into one). I also am attracted to the GA series - especially the GA7. But rather than over load you with another opinion, I would like to support the earlier posts in encouraging you to go play as many Taylors (and other brands) as possible...in fact go and play a couple of pieces of music that you like on several models until you narrow it down to what sounds good and feels right to you (comfort while you play is so important).

I ended up going that way, and I had some cherished opinions as to what I thought was true and had to eat crow as I have gained more experience. I expect my new opinions to change as I grow as a player.

Best of luck to you

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Always fun to see conversations from a couple of years ago pick right back up and be just as interesting!

There are, I think, too many different kinds of fingerstyle guitarists out there for one to be able to say which kind of guitar would be best for them all. Still, I enjoy my Cotten 612c. Bright and clear, for sure, but anything but tinny.

cotten
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

I think the nature of the Taylor tone helps provide a clarity of tone that is effective for fingerstyle on practically every guitar they make. The one requirement is that the strings be on the same side of the guitar as that hole in it.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:51 PM

i ve got an 810 dreadnaught, and a 512 grant concert. both great guitars, but the 810 definitely feels like its asking for a pick when played, so i would personally go for a smaller body for fingerstyle. if the guitar needs to respond well to strumming too, i would go ga or mini jumbo..
Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyjack View Post
Hi,

1st choice: Koa sides and back, Englemann Spruce top (GC body size)
This may be mine too. I have been playing one for 15+ years and I LOVE this guitar. That combination is so warm and mellow and bark when spanked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion