The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Which Rainsong?

I want to take advantage of mf 36 month financing and I want a carbon because I live in northern Minnesota where the weather varies quite s bit, to say the least. I just want my guitar to sound close to the same every time I pick it up!

I play mostly with fingers only 85/15. Think "wherever you will go" by The Calling. I play mostly solo where I strum the chorus and finger pick arpeggio the verse with an arpeggio for a solo. I like a deep low end and ringing notes. Like if i arpeggio a G chord I hit the E string and pick the other strings while the low string rings.

So what rainsong and why? Concert? Hybrid? Or new concert hybrid? I like the specs of the WS body. Oh and I live in a place where playing before I buy is not really possible.

Thanks

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM

I think most models will work for you for what you are describing, but my personal favorite Rainsong WS, is the CO-WS1000N2. The full carbon construction will give you the most power, the unidirectional Concert Series top will provide a more "wood like" tone, and the standard scale will give you added projection. If you prefer a short scale with 12-fret neck, this model can be ordered in the NS configuration.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I think most models will work for you for what you are describing, but my personal favorite Rainsong WS, is the CO-WS1000N2. The full carbon construction will give you the most power, the unidirectional Concert Series top will provide a more "wood like" tone, and the standard scale will give you added projection. If you prefer a short scale with 12-fret neck, this model can be ordered in the NS configuration.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply Ted!
How different is the new CH model from the concert it terms of sound? I don't mind short or full scale.

Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTune View Post
Thanks for the reply Ted!
How different is the new CH model from the concert it terms of sound? I don't mind short or full scale.
The CH models feature the short scale 12-fret neck, and hybrid back and sides which will give you a "mellower" tone.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM

I really like the CH OM and CH WS I have sitting here looking at me... I feel the OM a little more (for me anyway) and the WS is a bit fuller sounding to me. Either one is an excellent choice of course
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-26-2017, 12:19 PM

I'll be going right past Duluth this September on the way to Ely and the Boundary Waters. With me will be my new Emerald X20 for a week of canoeing/camping and guitar playing!
I've only owned one Rainsong ( S-DR1100 N2) and it was a fine guitar though I think one of Ted's suggestions might be better for your style of playing.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
I'll be going right past Duluth this September on the way to Ely and the Boundary Waters. With me will be my new Emerald X20 for a week of canoeing/camping and guitar playing!
I've only owned one Rainsong ( S-DR1100 N2) and it was a fine guitar though I think one of Ted's suggestions might be better for your style of playing.
Jim, you're going canoeing with an x20? You do know that the x20 is the same size, and bit heavier than the Rainsong WS models, so not much smaller than your S-DR was, right?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Will it have its own flotation device? I have not tested, but suspect that CF guitars will NOT float.....
Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I want to take advantage of mf 36 month financing and I want a carbon because I live in northern Minnesota where the weather varies quite s bit, to say the least. I just want my guitar to sound close to the same every time I pick it up!

I play mostly with fingers only 85/15. Think "wherever you will go" by The Calling. I play mostly solo where I strum the chorus and finger pick arpeggio the verse with an arpeggio for a solo. I like a deep low end and ringing notes. Like if i arpeggio a G chord I hit the E string and pick the other strings while the low string rings.

So what rainsong and why? Concert? Hybrid? Or new concert hybrid? I like the specs of the WS body. Oh and I live in a place where playing before I buy is not really possible.

Thanks
I really wish you could play everything in the range you're looking at. I've not played the WS shape but do own the Shorty. Basically the new concert hybrid OM is the exact same guitar as the Shorty but with satin b/s and neck and a black rosette instead of white, and like $400 cheaper. Honestly I love the Shorty, very intimate and versatile guitar. The WS has a 1" deeper chamber though and that will give you that bass response you seek.

RainSong is doing something very special with these new Concert Hybrid Series- what bang for the buck factor on a CF guitars! Ted and Kramster's input is absolutely invaluable here too- they have handled more RainSong guitars than anyone.

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-26-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Jim, you're going canoeing with an x20? You do know that the x20 is the same size, and bit heavier than the Rainsong WS models, so not much smaller than your S-DR was, right?
I'm not mistaking this X20 for a "travel guitar". I ordered it with a gig bag for traveling around home but it will be lighter, too, for the little bit of portaging we might do. Certainly a lighter combo than the hard-shell case I had with the Rainsong that I took up there. I've been doing these trips for 54 years so I have a handle on what works.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread

Last edited by seamusknives; 06-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...The WS has a 1" deeper chamber though and that will give you that bass response you seek.
This was what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
..RainSong is doing something very special with these new Concert Hybrid Series- what bang for the buck factor on a CF guitars! Ted and Kramster's input is absolutely invaluable here too- they have handled more RainSong guitars than anyone.
Thanks for the kind words, Sean, and you are right, at $1349 without electronics, the new CH models are a lot of guitar for the money, and the CH combo is actually one of my favorites.

FYI, the first concert/hybrid guitar Rainsong made was for us, it was our custom LA1-LE models, which was a CH 14-fret OM with a red rosette. At the time the LA1-LE had the warmest tone of any Rainsong. All 15 sold out in a few months, with one going home with me. Soon after that, Rainsong came out with the new 12-fet NS neck, which they put on our custom, and the Shorty was born. The new model was an instant hit, and is still a top seller. The Shorty gave us the idea to order a second custom run, the LA2-LE, which was a Shorty with the deeper WS body. In fact the LA2-LE was the first 12-fret Rainsong with the WS body, it also sold out rather fast. Eventually Rainsong made the 12-fret NS neck available on all models, and, so I ordered a 12-fret dread with Black Ice top for my personal stable. That guitar in it's gig bag has been my main travel guitar for years. It's even featured on our Rainsong Landing Page.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
...I like a deep low end and ringing notes. Like if i arpeggio a G chord I hit the E string and pick the other strings while the low string rings...
Sounds just like my JM1000...
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

My only Rainsong to date was a Shorty APLE that was nothing short of wonderful. Perfect body size, short scale, 12 fret but more of a 14-fret body shape, light weight, comfortable, easy and fun to play, great tone from the uni-directional top, nice burst finish and decent electronics (although not my favorite).

I don't think they make the APLE anymore but I believe they still make the APSE which is similar with slightly different pickup system and a satin finish vs gloss. Ted can confirm. If it was not for the ability to have a custom built by Emerald, I would likely still own my APLE.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 PM

If you told me "buy one Rainsong to do everything" I'd go and buy a WS.

I'd probably pick one of the new CH-WS models, since I like the unidirectional fretboard and the comfort of a 12-fret neck would beat out the lack of access to higher frets.

An OM or Shorty would come in 2nd simply because I think that that body size could really stand to be about 1/2 deeper.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
If you told me "buy one Rainsong to do everything" I'd go and buy a WS.

I'd probably pick one of the new CH-WS models, since I like the unidirectional fretboard and the comfort of a 12-fret neck would beat out the lack of access to higher frets.

An OM or Shorty would come in 2nd simply because I think that that body size could really stand to be about 1/2 deeper.
All of the replies were great and appreciated. I have to admit that this is the reply that I was looking for mostly because with my work and school I don't make money playing right now but would like to take my guitar with me a lot more and not have to worry about it in the winter months or the humid summer months up here in Minnesota. I wish I could play them all just to be certain!
We've been having a lot of rain lately and even though I love my wood guitars this dampening effect of humidity has me just wanting a guitar that isn't so affected by it! I do manage to play about 10 hours a week and it brings me much enjoyment and peace... when my guitar sounds like I want it too!

Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber