The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-28-2017, 01:44 PM

I need to make a decision by July. I may go with a Cordoba 15TM and hope for the best. The tenor Outdoor Ukuleles would be my first choice but they are out of stock.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Hot car and all, wood, glue... best of luck, that's a tough one. Maybe keep some sunshades on the windows?

It's the glue that's the buzzkill. I remember leaving my Guild D-66 in it's case in the car on a 75-80 day, all day. It needed attention..badly. This was 25 or so years ago, but the action was about an inch high. I never did that again.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
I need to make a decision by July. I may go with a Cordoba 15TM and hope for the best. The tenor Outdoor Ukuleles would be my first choice but they are out of stock.
If you are going to go with a wood ukulele, my advice is to use one of the foam / Cordura cases (the fairly thick foam will act like an insulating foam cooler). Something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCTHardCase
Put that wrapped up inside a sleeping bag and leave the whole deal in the trunk, out of direct sun. Leave the windows cracked to help minimize the build-up of heat gain inside the cabin. Park in the shade if you can. Try to take the uke out the open air as often as possible when you can to let it cool off and dissipate heat before it gets truly heat-soaked and softens the glue.

This would give the best odds of survival, IMHO. Good luck!

Last edited by Earl49; 06-01-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: tpyos
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If you are going to go with a wood ukulele, my advice is to use one of the foam / Cordura cases (the fairly thick foam will act like an insulating foam cooler). Something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCTHardCase
Put that wrapped up inside a sleeping bag and leave the whole deal in the trunk, out of direct sun. Leave the windows cracked to help minimize the build-up of heat gain inside the cabin. Park in the shade if you can. Try to take the uke out the open air as often as possible when you can to let it cool off and dissipate heat before it gets truly heat-soaked and softens the glue.

This would give the best odds of survival, IMHO. Good luck!
Maybe you meant to say DON'T put the 'whole deal in the trunk'? The trunk is the hottest place, and cracking open the windows won't make any difference to the trunk heat.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-02-2017, 09:17 AM

No Mike, I did mean the trunk. I disagree that it is the hottest place. Being out of direct sunlight helps a lot, even though there is no air flow in the trunk. Cracking the windows limits how hot the cabin can get (~140° closed versus only about 120-125° with some air exchange). That extra heat will eventually percolate or soak into the trunk, so cracking some windows is important. Dropping to 125° could make the difference between a glue joint letting go - or not.
We don't really know from the OP how long he intends to let it sit in the hot car, whether he has a white or black car, if it is feasible for him to park in the shade regularly, or even what part of the country he is in (just how bad the problem could be).
Old 06-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Hot enough to get a temperature warning screen on an i phone.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
This outdoor uke is perfect for leaving on the dashboard of a closed car in the summer sun.

https://reverb.com/item/1461038-c-f-...ard-shell-case
I quite agree. Could even forget the case in my opinion...
Old 06-18-2017, 05:22 PM

They sound different also they sound good. Conservatives should sit and listen before they make judgements, outdoors is a great and strong instrument. The sound is very good for ragtime stuff methinks.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Follow up

Based on a recommendation from a ukulele player at my wife's office, I ordered a Snail Mahogany Tenor Ukulele from Antonio Violins in OH. Great quality and tone along with customer service.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Bjerke View Post
They sound different also they sound good. Conservatives should sit and listen before they make judgements, outdoors is a great and strong instrument. The sound is very good for ragtime stuff methinks.
Can we please not make this political? This is about Ukuleles!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Can we please not make this political? This is about Ukuleles!
You're kidding, right? Conservative isn't always a political term. In this case, it sounds to me like it represented people set in their wood only ways.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
You're kidding, right? .
I figured he was. In fact, I laughed so hard when I read his post that I sprayed a liberal amount of coffee all over my keyboard!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Also keep in mind that Finn is in Norway. He probably speaks better English than most of us in the USA, as many Europeans do, but that background may have influenced his choice of words. Don't read too much into it. Maybe "traditionalists" would have been a better choice.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I figured he was. In fact, I laughed so hard when I read his post that I sprayed a liberal amount of coffee all over my keyboard!
Which brings another waaay off topic thought... I dislike using smileys, not that I won't, but it sucks that if you don't, one wonders if you're truly hyper-sensitive, or serious in situations like this.

Maybe font it to comic sans and big for the smiley haters?

..liberal amount...I see what you did there.
I mean, I see what you did there..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments