The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-11-2024, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default 100?

I've got this little Gibson L-2 that I picked up about five years ago. It was in a guitar shop on consignment and had a tag saying it was a '27 but my own research tells me it must be a '24, probably early '24 at that. There's a Lloyd Loar signed L-5, March 31,1924 just 17 numbers away from mine. There's probably some folk here that know a thing or two about old Gibson's so I thought I'd post some pictures. The serial number is faint but I make it out as 76525 and it looks like the FON is 11966. I was told at the shop that they were told that it was sent to Gibson at some point for unspecified repairs. It has a small repaired crack on the treble side from the finger board to the sound hole so I'm guessing it was probably that. It looks like it was probably refinished or at least oversprayed, maybe as part of the crack repair. You can see what looks like pick rash under the finish by the sound hole. Is there a good resource on what original hardware looked like? I think maybe the bridge is a replacement but I don't know what an original looks like. I think maybe the tailpiece, tuners & truss rod cover are original although one button must have been replaced? No idea about the nut. Anyway, happy birthday to a fun little guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibson l2.jpg (25.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg gibson L-2 serial number.jpg (34.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 soundhole and bridge.jpg (48.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 back 2.jpg (43.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg gibson L-2 FON.jpg (18.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 tuners.jpg (54.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 headstock.jpg (34.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Let's see . . .

Snakehead = 1923 to 1925

According to the highly-reliable GuitarHQ.com site during the 1920s L2 round-hole archtops were made from 1924-1926.

Crack repair next to the treble side of the fingerboard.
Absolutely no-doubt refinished.

Replacement bridge.
Replacement machines -- those look nice but the plates look different and the screws should be flat-blade not Phillips.

How do you like it? There have been times over the years when I have GASsed hard for one, but the combination of small, deep and short-short scale has always kept me from pulling the trigger.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that Sam, good info. Yeah, I like it a lot but then I'm partial to small guitars being an older couch player. It definitely has that old Gibson sound and the price was right. I've been curious about how original, or not, it is but I bought it because it has a sound and feel I like. Not sure what you mean when you say deep, the body depth? 3 1/4" seems pretty standard. I have a parlor that's about the same. Now my Weber at 4", that seems deep. But I'm pretty adaptable, I don't think I'm a good enough player to be bothered little variations. A guitar like the L-2 might not be a good fit for everybody but I sure do like it.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
Thanks for that Sam, good info. Yeah, I like it a lot but then I'm partial to small guitars being an older couch player. It definitely has that old Gibson sound and the price was right. I've been curious about how original, or not, it is but I bought it because it has a sound and feel I like. Not sure what you mean when you say deep, the body depth? 3 1/4" seems pretty standard. I have a parlor that's about the same. Now my Weber at 4", that seems deep. But I'm pretty adaptable, I don't think I'm a good enough player to be bothered little variations. A guitar like the L-2 might not be a good fit for everybody but I sure do like it.
I took the liberty of posting a link to your posting over on Facebook via the Vintage Gibson Flattop Guitars group, despite it being an archtop. There are a bunch of very informed members there, and one even has the same guitar, and posted pictures.

I don't know if you are on FB, but if so, here's a link to the thread I started, and if you have to join the group it would be worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3480...=group_comment

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM

This is the L Jr. I bought at RetroFret last year:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.as...ic-Guitar-1925

Notice the bridge, which is original; very much like a banjo bridge. My understanding is that adjustable bridge and truss rod are the primary hardware differences between this and the L1, L2, and L3, and of course progressively fancier finishes as you go up the line.

It is indeed the perfect couch guitar, and much louder than one would expect from that description.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I took the liberty of posting a link to your posting over on Facebook via the Vintage Gibson Flattop Guitars group, despite it being an archtop. There are a bunch of very informed members there, and one even has the same guitar, and posted pictures.

I don't know if you are on FB, but if so, here's a link to the thread I started, and if you have to join the group it would be worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3480...=group_comment

Best,
Howard Emerson
Thanks Howard, I'll look into that group.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops